Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:42am - May 25,16 
My wife told me to neglect all the things I have to do around the house and go fishing. Stupidly, I thought twice about it, but went anyways. I went to Turtlehead to see how flooded it was. The water is still out past the trees all around and 50+ feet out of the banks on the back half of the south side. I'm thinking about getting out my wading boots and an iron rake to see if I can clear out the drain. I've never seen the water this high this late in the year.

I started on the north side where the dropoff is steeper and the water was only 10 feet out of the bank. The wind was blowing pretty hard from the south and the north bank was pretty choked with weeds, so, fishing a spinnerbait, I had to pick and choose my spots. I got three bass on a slow-to-medium retrieve through the deeper pockets in the weeds. They were all in the 12"-15" range, so nothing to write home about, but they hammered the bait.

Before I left home, I debated whether to wear my boots or sandals. I'm really glad I went with the sandals. They paid off as I worked my way around the back to the south side. The water in the southeast corner is out of the bank and all the way to the fields. I got sick of trying to pick my way through the stinky mud and decided to walk through the water. Tons of fry and thousands of tadpoles were up in the shallow weeds where it's normally dry ground. I got another three small bass on the same white spinner bait in similar spots to where I found them on the north side.

It was really a good day with six bass in about 90 minutes on Turtlehead. I wasn't fishing very hard either, and, as a bonus, the water is crystal clear so I could see the bass fly up out of the weeds and hammer my spinner. Almost as exciting as a good topwater bite! I finished my loop of Turtlehead and decided to press my luck at Arrowhead.

Arrowhead is less flooded than Turtlehead, but the water is still a bit high. It's also crystal clear. I asked a couple guys how the bite was and was told they'd all got nothing. Everyone was fishing some variety of worm. I met a really nice mentally handicapped gentleman who was eager to talk fishing. I'd only made a few casts when I hooked up: another small bass. My new friend turned to one of the guys fishing the worms and asked "Was that the fish you were trying for?". If looks could kill!

I got one more bass on my white spinnerbait, but tragedy struck! As I was lifting the fish out of the water, I lost both the fish and my spinner! The fish went one way and the bait went the other. I suspect the wire may have actually broken. I'd had to bend it back into shape after pretty much every fish, so it was getting tired. I always hate to lose a productive bait though. I replaced it with the black spinnerbait I had in my pocket, but only made a couple of casts before getting called home for supper.

Quick recap: 8 bass, 6 on Turtlehead, 2 on Arrowhead. All came on a white spinnerbait in the deeper weed pockets.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:13pm - May 25,16 
I was there at turtlehead monday BigJim to get some gills for dinner and saw alot of bass cruising the shallows.I showed a guy bass fishing how to walk higher on the hills to spot the bass and then go down and cast for them.The south side is where I prefer to fish but haven't bothered trying because of the high water.I made the mistake of standing on that moss by shore and took a bad spill.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:53am - May 26,16 
I saw a lot of huge redears on nests close to shore. Might have to get my 2yr old son out there for a bit. The aggressive bass were buried in the weeds 10-20ft off shore. Anything I found in the open (only a few) had no interest in a spinnerbait. I see a lot of guys fish the south side, but I've typically had better luck with the steeper shorelines on the north side. The shore can be tricky with the high water. I bent the handle on my Chronarch a couple months ago when the bank on the far end gave out under my feet and I shoved my hands and the reel into the mud to keep from sliding into the lake. I had just cleaned that reel too.

If you see me out there, flag me down and say "Hi". I'm a big guy, 6'3" & 300lb, usually wearing Wiley X glasses with emerald mirror lenses, heavy black plastic frames, and a black strap. I typically fish either a silver Daiwa bait caster on a 7ft rod, a white Chronarch on a little 6'6" rod, or a black Daiwa with heavy braid.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56am - May 27,16 
I'll look for you Jim,I'm the old guy with all my stuff packed on a three-wheeled golf cart.

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: