Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:40am - Apr 13,03 
there are signs up, at least as of today, announcing a controlled burn of the weeds around sedgewick... does anyone know the details of this? the signs i saw were posted along west avenue and ravinia drive, on the east side of the lake. does a burn ever affect the fishing?

matt

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48am - Apr 13,03 
mattthetroll wrote:
there are signs up, ...announcing a controlled burn of the weeds around sedgewick
matt

Those "weeds" are actually prairie plants. I've been on Spring burns in the past when I did voluteer work at prairies site along the north branch of the Chicago River. Burns are vital for the health of prairie plants since there aren't Indians around to start the fires. Years ago the Indians realized that lightening-caused fire increased the vegatation and kept the wild game in the area. So the Plains Indians set fires.

I have no idea whether or not prairie burns affect fishing, but I doubt it. Usually the soil underneath prarie plant is very loamy and I would image that the rain water is soaked into the soil and doesn't run off into waterways.

Anyone else have thoughts or more knowledge on this?

Best regards,
GPB

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29am - Apr 13,03 
Lake Sludgewick was built on the remains of an old humus bog which accounts for the stellar growth rate for all vegetation in and around the Lake. Personally speaking, I think they will always have a problem controlling the aquatic vegetation regardless of what they do (short of annually poisoning the weeds to the point where nothing could live in the Lake) Burning old growth around the lake wont hurt the water at all but will increase the berry yield on my (secret) Raspberry patch. Best advice for fishing this lake...Learn to throw weedless top-waters!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:54am - Apr 13,03 
thanks guys...that helps a lot!

matt

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58am - Apr 19,03 
Matt,

There will be a controled burn there, as to when, not sure all have been delayed due to weather and such, or when the company decides to venture out our way. As far as it effecting the fishing I think everyone answered that for you. Hope that helps.

Tom

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: