Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:14pm - Mar 17,03 
I heard an ice angler went through and drowned in Beck Lake today. Anyone hear this story??

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:23pm - Mar 17,03 
Yes I heard the same thing. I guess the guy didn't have any ID on him so they were not sure of who he was. Let's pray for his family.
Cory

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09pm - Mar 17,03 
Here is the URL for the news report...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/031703_ns_icerescue.html

Man, no fish is worth one's life. God help him.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:49pm - Mar 17,03 
I don't care for the idea of posting like messages on different sites but this ones got my goat.

I hate to think what this mans family is going through right at this moment.
I feel for them and wouldn't wish this pain on anyone.

Please don't take these next remarks as insensitive.
Certainly not to his loved ones.

This man was extremely foolish. Where was his head? Where has he been for the last three days; in a cave? In a coma! Where was his safety equipment?
It's too bad the idiot died but it angers me that someone would be soooo stupid!!!
The CCFPD finally lets the ice fisherman be the judge and one very, very careless (in every sense of the word) individual goes and makes us all look even more stupid than many already think us to be.
Well;
I suppose the rest of us will now catch the slamming repercusion wave from this one.

Now with that said;
I hope to be posting just one more ice report before it's all over.
It's not over till it's over, (Marc) :lol: and I say "it's not quite over just yet!"

Oh;
if the availability of walk-on ice yet exists come this next weekend, then I fully expect to post what I will title, 'The Last Ice Report Of The Season" come early next week.
Wish me luck,
I may need it.

Oh;
One more thing.
The life vest will be cinched good and tight. :wink:

Give it up, will ya already!
Any

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:06pm - Mar 17,03 
Any Luc wrote:
Oh;
One more thing.
The life vest will be cinched good and tight. :wink:

Thanks my friend, you had me worried for a minute.

Since you said it for me I won't have to rant now but your statements have probably been thought by many and just not said. I feel terrible for the man and his family but the ice isn't safe. I would be willing to bet that the policy will change again next year. Be careful AL I don't want to read a post about you. All this rain forecasted for this week may take the last of the ice away.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22pm - Mar 17,03 
This is awful and I feel terrible for this guy and his family.
I fished Beck alot this winter and my last day was a week ago on Sunday (the day when the high was 13 F). In several of the areas we drilled the ice was in the neighborhood of 7-8" at the time, which was quite a bit less than the 12-14" found on the chain, bangs, or zurich.

My thoughts exactly on the CCFPD likely reverting back to the minimum uniform 4" rule and throwing out the "at your own risk" approach. This basically means that we who ice fish the CCFPD will now have probably 4 additional weeks sliced off the normal short ice season we have around here.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:34pm - Mar 17,03 
I'm definitely calling the biologists and asking if there is any talk about reverting back to the worthless 4'' everywhere system. I can see it now, the CCFP police kicking everyone off safe ice for no reason. Just like the good old days *not*

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:57pm - Mar 17,03 
Years ago, you could use a float tube on the lakes untill.... I don't remember when and where, but that was the end of that. I think the frustration here is due to government trying to protect us from ourselves. We live in a society that has to put the blame anywhere but where it really belongs. We all have had errors in judgement that has led to close calls but safe outcomes. These are what I call " a free pass in life". Others call it luck. You never know when you used the last pass. My prayers to the family.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:41am - Mar 18,03 
Why don't people wise up and start wearing floatation when out on tricky ice? I have a pair of the inflatable Sospenders that I use, they are light so you don't hardly notice wearing them, (worth their weight in weapons grade plutonium!) but even a regular life vest works great...protects you from the cold too!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:25am - Mar 18,03 
hey speaking of float tubes I think it is high time the ccfp reconsider this ban on float tubes! The technology has come a long way in the last 5-10 years with the overlaying of heavy canvas over the now very thick rubber tube. As far as the ccfd rethinking the ice situation I would have to think it will be all dependant on the family and lawyers! If the "Fish at your own risk" stands up in court and keeps the ccfp at no fault then I see the policy remaining. After all in this sue happy time most of regs on boating and using the county waters will ultimatly be decided by keeping the least amount of liability on the ccfp. Lets just hope that this story ends here and doesnt get the negative coverage and linger in the news for months to come or a definate change will be inevitable!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57am - Mar 18,03 
I read reports from several on-line news sources. Some reported they were not able to identify the body which means he had no ID on him? And from what I read, the initial person to see him happened after he went through the ice. Perhaps he wasn't even ice fishing, but just strolling along the ice?

As for float tubes, it would probably never happen as it could be one more lawsuit in the future. At risk (ice fishing) on the other hand could make them (CCFP) less liable? I can't see most counties allowing at risk ice fishing for all these years if they were more liable with that rule in effect.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:02am - Mar 18,03 
Bob, which Sospenders do you use? The long or short. I was looking at putting a couple in the boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:27am - Mar 18,03 
I have the long, compliments of B.A.S.S., the Sospenders mfg. co. ( and my old Bandits partner Jack Gallagher, who was thoughtful enough to think of me when they were handing them out) for working the BassMasters Classic when they came to town. That BassMasters Patch really makes them look SWEET! I highly recommend getting a pair...worth every penny!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:57am - Mar 18,03 
Captain Gary's had the waist type Sospenders on clearance ($45). It has a full size (chest & around the neck) float in a belly pouch. If you opt for the reg Sospenders & are as big as Bob( or larger, like me) go with the long ones. I had a reg length & it felt like I was wearing a bra (NOT THAT I EVER HAVE -Thank you)

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: