Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:53am - Feb 7,10 
While using google earth to located fishing spots near by my girlfriend's house in Orland Park, I located more lakes in the Cook County Forest Preserve.

I found Horsetail Lake, Papoose Lake, and Saganashkee Slough. Can anyone tell me if these places are decent spots?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:19pm - Feb 7,10 
Like most Cook County forest preserves, you have to put the time in and learn them. All 3 do have quality fish in them. Each has a time of year when fishing seems to be better. Just to give you a starting point....Saganashkee has some large crappie to be caught in the Spring. Horsetail and Papoose both have decent bass fishing mornings and evenings throughout the Summer. Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:34pm - Feb 7,10 
all thoses hold the usual panfish, cats, l.m. bass you also have maple lake, bull frog, joes pond and belly deep all all close to each other, there is also tampier and my personel favorite lake sedgewick

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:28pm - Mar 12,10 
Papoose can produce some quality size bass. Evening time with topwater baits, I have been successful. It is a very weedy lake in the summertime... so it is tough to fish with anything deeper.

Quote:
Semper Fish

all thoses hold the usual panfish, cats, l.m. bass you also have maple lake, bull frog, joes pond and belly deep all all close to each other, there is also tampier and my personel favorite lake sedgewick

I have never caught a fish in lake sedgewick. I have gone there for bass, pike, or walleye and have struck out every time. Do you have any tips to share with me? PM me if you would like.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:01pm - Mar 15,10 
I've fished horsetail for late season (fall) trout. Caught one on waxworms a few months after they stocked the lake.
Lots of little gills and occasional LMB. Gets pretty choked with weeds in the warmer months though and you'll have to cast out to avoid the weeds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:20pm - Mar 24,10 
Most of them get weedy; you nned a strong rod and line to horse them out. I'd say Papoose for Bass is a good lake. You can usually catch a big bass from the beginning to Middle of April, it starts the year of pretty good. Turtle head is a pretty easy lake to fish, just walk and cast. Maple is a good lake also, if you get the feeling you are going to get skunked Bull frog is right accross the street.

I never had any luck at Tampier and if sedgewick is the lake in orland by the water slides of 159th then I have heard good stories but never caught anything there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:19pm - May 24,17 
Power pro line and medium to heavy 7ft rod for most of the cook county lakes. I have never, ever caught anything at sedgewick. Heard stories and seen pictures at the Fishing Connection but never, had even one bite.

Turtle head has two lakes and I have caught plenty of bass on both. I used to fish there almost every day. There were two older gentlemen that would walk around the lake also and then compare at the end how many ended up with. They turned me on to the power pro and used to smash their barbs so the hooks removed easily. I tried it and lost a monster, and never squished a barb again.

Tampier - I have caught really nice bass but I rented a boat and it was in the middle of the lake or by the damn in the middle of that bay.

Maple used to be my favorite when I lived close. I would fish until close and there were people catching catfish there that were huge. Always had luck with Bass there.

Took me a while to learn Papoose but I have had great success there, never fished the front where they put the bump outs though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - May 24,17 
Have you been to turtlehead lately,I'm wondering if they fixed that drain yet or is still way out of it's banks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:43pm - May 24,17 
Fish the ponds in the area. There are a few on 131st and Lagrange> Both ways. They are all over south of that area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:00am - May 25,17 
Turtlehead was still out of it's banks when I was there a week ago. I don't imagine the rains this week helped any. The grate is uncovered, but looks like it's clogged down deep. I'm ok with it. If the trees are in the water, the FPD can't nuke the weeds.

Did the date function screw up or did someone really resurrect a seven year old thread?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:04am - May 25,17 
what part of saganaskie for crappie?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:42pm - May 26,17 
West shoreline with minnows. You'll see the crowds.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: