Author
Search for:
Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 03:04pm - Aug 14,10 
Was wondering if there would be any interest in having an ice fishing league(s) this winter?

Some thoughts would be 3 separate divisions(north,west and south) with a final "championship tourney" to be held at one location with all three divisions together.

Due to being a short season around here(short for us ice anglers), we may need to do a weekly/bi-weekly type event. (Sorta like a bowling/billard league)

Also maybe just do 4 hours and then champ tourney will be a full eight.

Would need someone from north and south(I will take care of west) to be acting tourney director for their division.

Monies(if any) would be split something like 50% to prize fund day of league and other half held for champ tourney. Or we could just play for bragging rights but a plaque would look nice on the wall especially while daydreaming in front of ac during summer scorchers.

Could be individual(most likely unless we get decent turn out) or do 2-man teams.

We would be crowning Ice Angler(Team) for the year.

Again this is just an idea and geared more towards having fun. If anyone may be interested and/or may have ideas, please let me know and I can start really putting this together.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:50pm - Aug 14,10 
That's a COOL idea, Steve.
Would it be capped to County Forest Preserve Lakes?

Profile WWW  

Post Posted: 06:06pm - Aug 14,10 
I would leave it open to what the majority wants in each division....Plus mainly looking to see if interest is there and then I will see about legalities with league.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50pm - Aug 14,10 
Count me in!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:54pm - Aug 14,10 
I live in the Middle of the city so I am not sure which grouping I would be in. However I would be happy to set aside one day aweek or bi-weekly to help set things up!!!

-Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:19pm - Aug 15,10 
Since the good ol county of Will is nice enough to hand out tickets for fishing in most of its presrves I would have to say a league out of mazonia wouldnt be a bad idea.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:24pm - Aug 15,10 
I would be interested, I might be limited due to my job. Thats far enough away that I can figure it out at a later time. Mops

Post Posted: 05:47am - Aug 16,10 
Ace wrote:
I live in the Middle of the city so I am not sure which grouping I would be in. However I would be happy to set aside one day aweek or bi-weekly to help set things up!!!

-Michael

If we get enough guys...(I am thinking minimum of 5 per division) which ever one you want to fish in is fine. If there are enough people from city then maybe we could add east division as well. I have no clue if you guys have ice spots that would be considered safe enough. So that is definitely a strong option.

Since this would be a reoccurring event, I figured it would get better turn out if guys do not have to travel very far to get to but if a guy/gal lives south but wants to compete in north division, then so be it.

By end of September, I will have all details done and start sign ups.

Last edited by AtitAgain07 on 05:53am - Aug 16,10, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: 05:50am - Aug 16,10 
DUCKBUSTER wrote:
Since the good ol county of Will is nice enough to hand out tickets for fishing in most of its presrves I would have to say a league out of mazonia wouldnt be a bad idea.

Mazonia sounds good only thing is ice conditons can be tricky from what I have heard. However I know nothing about ice fishing the "Maze" and would leave it up to guys that are interested in fishing in the south division.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:55pm - Aug 16,10 
That is an awesome idea. I am in the western burbs itasca area, let me know if this goes down and I can get a team together

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:05pm - Aug 16,10 
Great idea! New sport for the boys!

:thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Aug 16,10 
might have some good attendance with the long travel time's being eliminated....

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Aug 16,10 
Thanks for the replies.

Just to keep the interest coming......we will be trying multiple species.....example: gills and crappie or pike and bass. Only problem with the latter is keeping them alive and may need to do a photo with measurement and token of sorts for verification.

Would love to do a night walleye week(s) but think that may only work for north division.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04am - Aug 17,10 
This sounds interesting. I think it has a few drawbacks though. People out south arent going to have as much ice time as those of us up north. Maybe have divisions with ice outings at various places for all participants. that would make it easier to monitor, having everyone fishing the same places. To make things fair have everyone pick a place or 2 to fish and then make a schedule from the locations provided. that will get people trying out new locations for them. will also give those involved a chance to fish at their favorite lake. Give out points for what happens that day for all participants. Then say the top 2 in each division have a fish off, with a clean slate. and to involve all participants in the final..have another separate tourney the same day for the others. so you would have a the A group and B group winners! some people will get out more then others so you would have to limit how many scores count....say your top 4 points in each category count the rest get dropped. And to level things out, and stop any arguing about location....pick divisions out of a hat rather then locations.

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Post Posted: 12:52pm - Aug 17,10 
I like your thinking Geo.

There would be a point system for each division and have thought about making it best 4 places. If someone has let's say 6 weeks under their belt, they would take their 4 top point weeks. However I would also add point(s) for additional weeks they were there. "Participation points" if you will. It would be a very small % so as to not punish guys that could only make 4 outings vs. guys that may do 6.

All this will be hashed out soon but I am sorta getting way ahead of myself here and need to research some more on if we need permits, if it's ok to have cash payouts, etc.

Thanks for the ideas and once I get an ok or find out if it's all going to be legal, we all will then start tossing out lakes, like you said, and have some sort of poll.( I can already feel headache coming on from this one! LOL)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:03pm - Aug 17,10 
Sounds Cool!

I think this is a great idea. How will you measure one persons fish versus another ones? Weight/length/ combination? The NAIFC has some great rules for panfish, which is primarily the species for their tourneys. Primarily Crappie and Bluegills or of that type. They would weigh a teams batch of 15 fish and that would determine the winners. The one thing i would like to add is in these tourneys they made it hard to cheat but you will still find some people that do. I guess thats the case when it comes to money. So take a look at the NAIFC website and look at their rules its pretty simple and maybe a good template for your league.

I'm in it sounds fun and competitive. :D

Post Posted: 04:22pm - Aug 17,10 
Thanks Valleye. I will do that.

I also am going to keep this at low costs(like pool/dart league), so I hope that will take care of anyone trying to cheat. You guys play for lil bit bigger monies! :-)

As for determine factor of winner.......I am really gonna take look at how the big boys do this. I really do not want to be hurting any areas by keeping/killing fish and would love to incorporate a variety of species so when time comes I will be asking the masses what they think. As of now I was thinking just doing measurements but am open to discussion.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:50pm - Aug 17,10 
this is a great idea i have been thinking about strting one for the open water for bass next spring if this goes well i will for sure put alot of work into it. I can also get the BPS meeting room any time. If you need any help just send a message i also work at anglers outlet if we need bait or special orders

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27pm - Aug 17,10 
Keep it coming!!!!!!! Who else? :thanks :thanks :thanks :thanks :thanks :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:35am - Aug 18,10 
[quoteGive out points for what happens that day for all participants.][/quote] I'm a little confused by Geo's post. Does that quote mean give separate points to the teams, or the same points for everyone involved? A little clarifaction please. I don't know how the big boys run their tourneys, but I'm sure they have it together. This would be another idea, say you have 6 events, but only get to fish in 5. The extra day would be set aside to help weigh fish, or measure them depending on the method. This way if you are fishing a smaller lake that will have a difficult time handling the fishing pressure, the fish could be caught, weighed, and released. Now if you are fishing a lake like pistakee, then I think a 10-15 fish limit would be acceptable. Just an idea. Mops

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: