Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:10am - Mar 22,11 
maybe we can get koolangler to help me make a video on tying your own for cheap! yeah i like "CHEAP". :rotflmao you should be able to purchase everything you need at walmart for under $20.00.
here is a list hope i can remember it all?
1. 125 yrd spool of 50# test(zebco $2.50)
2. 1 pkg of #7 brass swivels( $1.16) 12 count
3.1 pkg. of #5 brass swivels($1.16) " " "
4. 1 pkg of # 5 or # 7 brass barrel swivels($1.16)
5. 2 pkg of red fishing beads about a forty count with 2 sizes($1.30 ea)
6. 2 pkg of #4 snelled hooks ($1.20 ea.) i usually spend a little more here and buy several pkgs of #2 and #4 red and black lazer octo's and tie my own leaders out of 17# flouro. koolangler prefers #4's and #6"s and im in the mind to follow him down sizing the hooks. the baits have changed over the years and its awfully damn hard to hook a large fat head with a #2 hook.
7.set of six baseball size Styrofoam balls from the craft and fabric section ($2.60)
this is all you need for a leader line combo, you still will have to purchase shooting weights for about $2.00 ea. a lenght of 50 ft of 1/16" white rubber for around $7.00 and a bell ($ 4 to $6). 5 gal bucket($2.50) and a 14" lenght of 2"x4" or 2"x2". free (look in the garage)
will add video to this thread on how to tie it all up later.
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51am - Mar 22,11 
Thanks So much!!!!!! going to get my supplies now!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:06pm - Mar 22,11 
as bubba pointed out to me in a pm your still gonna need a co2 extinguisher and a pipe or a good friend to shoot you out most guys i know will shoot you out for free but i guess a couple bucks is probably the right freight to pay. another way is to post exactly for a co2 fire extinguisher for power lining in the swap and dough. im sure there are some out there fishnfacts just sold one for $20 saturday and runner got one sunday so they are out there.
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:32am - Mar 23,11 
Awesome post DD! Man, I was on my way to Henry's UNTIL I saw this! Hey, if you're interested, I can handle a video camera pretty well. I also own a nice little Panasonic that needs some use. If you're in need of a videographer to film the tying process, PM me, I'd be happy to contribute in any way. I live on the NSide of Chicago. It's the least I could do in lieu of all the info. that I've picked up here over the last few years.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38am - Mar 23,11 
denny duck wrote:
as bubba pointed out to me in a pm your still gonna need a co2 extinguisher and a pipe or a good friend to shoot you out most guys i know will shoot you out for free but i guess a couple bucks is probably the right freight to pay. another way is to post exactly for a co2 fire extinguisher for power lining in the swap and dough. im sure there are some out there fishnfacts just sold one for $20 saturday and runner got one sunday so they are out there.
dd

You can always throw it out by hand. Old school but you will still catch fish.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:10am - Mar 23,11 
HarborRat wrote:
Awesome post DD! Man, I was on my way to Henry's UNTIL I saw this! Hey, if you're interested, I can handle a video camera pretty well. I also own a nice little Panasonic that needs some use. If you're in need of a videographer to film the tying process, PM me, I'd be happy to contribute in any way. I live on the NSide of Chicago. It's the least I could do in lieu of all the info. that I've picked up here over the last few years.

boy this is getting easier pm sent, while were videoing it we can make you stuff!
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Mar 23,11 
hey whats the best to connect the bell to?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:44pm - Mar 23,11 
Bulldawg wrote:
denny duck wrote:
dd

And if you've got a good arm, the Cubs will sign you...... sorry... couldn't resists..... :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:11pm - Mar 23,11 
The bell goes in the top of a 5 gallon bucket of water. The easiest way is to heat the screw and then twist it in the top of the bucket. Denny uses a wood base but i will let him fill in the details. Denny's video will be out shortly. Good luck.
Fin

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Mar 23,11 
gary want to do the baiting segment?
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:49pm - Mar 24,11 
Bubbalouie wrote:
Bulldawg wrote:
denny duck wrote:
dd

And if you've got a good arm, the Cubs will sign you...... sorry... couldn't resists..... :rotflmao

It's not thrown out like a baseball. It's swung by the rope overhead and then thrown with a well timed release. Had a friend who could get it out nearly as far as the co2 launchers. We used railroad spikes for weights. Just be sure to tie good knots, use strong rope and keep a distance from other fisherman. Caught plenty of limits at Promontory Point using that system.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:58pm - Mar 24,11 
Well needless to say i got the skunk! And that wasnt the bad part, everyone around me was catchin cohos! So now i have to learn how to make one of these. So anyone around the SW Suburbs that knows how please let me know. I already have the extingusher and i can get the other stuff, but I just need to know how to put it together. And also, I think im goin to start a post for guys wanting like a DYI section on here so we can all help eachother. JMO though, good luck guys

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Mar 24,11 
Hey the way i learned on how to start doing powerlining was this video i found on youtube :

vid1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yE-tLB73nU

vid2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA7rBv3nWi4

its show there setup for leader and so. hope this helped

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:30am - Mar 25,11 
just got a call from HarborRat(tony) looks like were going to do this video some time sunday at Montrose, depending on the weather ? if your interested in seeing how its done we welcome you out.
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26pm - Mar 25,11 
Count me in, I got the rubberbands, hooks with leaders, two floating balls, a weight or few, and beads, swivels, but whats the order you put them in? Do you just let the current take the line out after you shoot the weight? Can anyone show us a pic or draw one please, I have more questions but I think a pic of the whole said up would answer a lot ?s. I saw the videos but there choppy. Plus I dont want to tie everything up there on the lakefront while everyone is catching fish. I get the concept just missing the way to set up , just dont want to look like an idiot. Thanks guys

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:00am - Mar 26,11 
Bowser Clouser wrote:
Count me in, I got the rubberbands, hooks with leaders, two floating balls, a weight or few, and beads, swivels, but whats the order you put them in? Do you just let the current take the line out after you shoot the weight? Can anyone show us a pic or draw one please, I have more questions but I think a pic of the whole said up would answer a lot ?s. I saw the videos but there choppy. Plus I dont want to tie everything up there on the lakefront while everyone is catching fish. I get the concept just missing the way to set up , just dont want to look like an idiot. Thanks guys

this site may help you it show the setup and a lil info http://www.copyandwaste.com/2009/06/18/ ... e-fishing/

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:39am - Mar 26,11 
The thing with these set-ups, as I've found out by inspecting many peoples', is, they are all unique. I've seen them wired different ways, but the main set-up as far as the lines goes like this (according to the guy at Henry's.) Please feel free to chime in with different/new techniques. I'm a PL newbie, so this may be really basic:

1 killer weight, looks abt. 1x2.5 (I picked the weight up at Henry's)
Nylon/cotton twine, abt. 5'

tie the weight to the 5' of nylon/cotton twine.

Then take the 5' of line and hook that to a big swivel

Get the 75' of rubber band, then tie a big swivel to that.

Hook the two together.

There's a second big swivel that goes to the other end of the rubber band, BUT that needs to be attached to the line from the shooting apparatus. Once you hook it all together, shoot the line out.

Pull the line back in, detach the one end of the rubber band, then attach the line with your hook set-ups to it. Add the bobbers. Let the line back out again.

Am I missing something here? In theory, it seems to make sense. What's really messing with my head is the rubber band. In my mind's eye, it keeps snapping/coming off!!! :?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27am - Mar 26,11 
Here is a post that I made in 08. This fellow had a very nice set up.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31075

Semper Fidelis
and
God Bless America

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:49am - Mar 26,11 
The guy at henrys said a bobber on each end. One after the float and one towards you. Is that right or can u just get away with one. And after you shoot it out(we will be using a balloon slingshot for now until then) do you pull the line back in to attatch the other line with hooks or shoot out that line first? And how the heck does a thin 75ft rubberband not break with the current and you pulling on it or do you double it up? I think those are the last of my questions. Thanks guys this is making me not lose sleep, lol!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:56am - Mar 26,11 
Both posts are located on the left hand side of the main forums page, Powerlining101 and 102

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: