Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52am - Dec 5,10 
I will be stationed at NHGL for a one-year dental residency starting next summer, can anyone suggest areas to fish in that area? I will most likely be fishing from shore and typically target bass (small mouth and large mouth), but I enjoy catfishing and panfishing as well. Also, if that area is good for salmon and/or trout, I would like to give that a shot as well.

I'm interested in fishing Lake Michigan, retention ponds, rivers/streams, etc.

Thank you,

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:46am - Dec 5,10 
Welcome to the Midwest. There is plenty of fishing possibilities in the area shipmate. I drilled as a reservist there for 8 years, 2nd class Corpsman for the Fleet Hospital. HM2. I saw plenty of shipmates catch salmon off of spawn sacs, where the LCM's are moored. Just west and a little north of the Naval station there is the Fox Chain of Lakes. Great fishery for soft and hard water. All species.

This site is great for tips and info regarding everything related to fishing and much more. Anything i can help you with, drop me a PM :flg

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:01am - Dec 5,10 
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually from Illinois, I'm just unfamiliar with this part of Illinois. Most of my fishing time prior to dental school (NY) was spent on the Kankakee River and fishing ponds near UofI and Will and Cook Counties.

I didn't realize the Fox Chain was nearby, I think I'll have to break out a map and give a good look.

Any wadeable streams in the area?

I'm very excited at the prospect of fishing again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:09pm - Dec 5,10 
Joe,
Caught the brown in my pic in August on a nightcrawler, next to the pump out at the marina in August. Lived there three years before I found out about the salmons...(Redneck plural for salmon). Throw glow spoons until mid Sep then spawn sacks till after the world series, Halloween if your a die hard. Perch at Navy Pier if you get a day off after Thanksgiving and ice fishing at Bangs lake west of you. Also Silver Springs state park has skeet shooting bring your own stuff. and there is deer hunting to the south of you if you are a bow guy. That sums up 7 years of knowledge that I aquired, most of it after I retired last year. Chicago has outdoor opportunities but they aren't as readily accessible as it seems. Also the Geoffrey Morrison Tournament has a veterans/service member day and that is fantastic!!! Other people offer to take you out on the lake on this site, kicking in with beer/mony also helps. Welcome. Additionally check out USO Illinois site for freebies and hit the MWR in the PX annex, or whatever the squids call the thing on main post with the taco bell and the food court. White sox tckts were free go to gate 4. Any othert questions send me a PM.... Or ask Popeye]
Good luck and welcome,
The Heat

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: