Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:10am - Nov 13,10 
I threw the below out to my percher friends before I read this board. Looks like there's some activity at Diversy/Belmont... from previous posts. Still worth fishing around the downtown Harbors (and not for Zombies)? Or would you recommend heading up north?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Dre.

Tippy, Aurora Bri, Polycarp, Special Ed... Kas?

I've been slammed by work the entire Fall, but finally one of those rare delicious circumstances has emerged. No pressing production deadlines for a bit, AND my wife just left town for a conference until next Wednesday. (Love her, miss her terribly already, wish she were here etc. etc. BUT IT'S TIME TO FISH!!)

Sadly, I know we're in this awkward mid-season period between Salmon and Perch, so I know not much is happening with perch these days... but maybe - who knows.

OR (And I'll re-post in the shore salmon section) - is it worth a trip up to Kenosha for Brown's/Steelies?

Tippy... anyone, late night/early morning Kenosha trip, tonight-tomorrow? Also could do Sunday eve-Monday a.m. Same options Monday/Tuesday. I'm wide open til Wednesday.

Or if that's too intense, I'd be happy stay close to home and to just float some shiners in Montrose for some hours and hope a brown swims by....

Any takers? I am jonesing to get back out there - and would love to hang with some peeps. Ya'll know how to reach me. Hope everyone is well.

Peace.

Dre

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31am - Nov 13,10 
Did you get any responses.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36pm - Nov 13,10 
I sent him a text, but I may have been too slow on the draw.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:16pm - Nov 13,10 
Hi.

Tippy, gonna text you now. Park Bait still open? OR is a drive down to Henry's the best bet for schtuff?

Thanks! - And thanks all for the pm's and insight. Much appreciated.

-Dre

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:51pm - Nov 13,10 
Park Bait was still open as of this past week (5AM-5PM), but they didn't have any large roaches. Hope they still are open and got some more in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23pm - Nov 13,10 
Park bait opens up at a disappointing six am now. i was there today and all they had was fat heads. Henrys should have a better selection. glf

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35pm - Nov 14,10 
Tippy and I hit Montrose this morning and floated some some roaches, some tube jigs tipped with waxies etc.

Windy, chilly and nothing going on. Cold smelly skunk. But great to be back out.

Ok, so presentation questions (and I apologize, I know some of these are rookie questions but it's been a while, and if I'm gonna freeze out there, I wanna make sure I'm maximizing my chances.):

So I got some medium roaches from Henry's (they seem to be keeping well on the back porch). I also got some of these "tube jigs" I've been hearing about and some waxies.

So what's the deal here exactly? do I put a bunch of waxies on the tube jigs?

If using a roach, recs on how to hook? Through the upper fin? (Not near the head or mouth right? We want it alive and swimming as much as possilbe, no?) Hook size rec?

The tube jugs I got have hooks that seem real small to me - that's ok right? Would I use a roach on a Tube jig? or is that nuts.

Again sorry for the basic questions.

I'm using very light 6lb line - per some recommendations. Floating between 7-12 feet under.

Any thoughts? Thanks all. Gonna try Diversey tomorrow.

Peace.

Dre

On the Plus side: good day for the Bears, and the Hawks just finally pulled one out in a nailing biting OT! Sweet.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:30pm - Nov 14,10 
Hi,

When I fish with roaches/live swimming bait I place the hook through the eyes and if I had a fish hit this set up with out hook up, I rebait and hook bait behind dorsal fin or tail. Basically the targeted fish is hitting the bait in a way to avoid the hook, so adjust the way you hook your bait...with regards to setting bobber depth for maximum effectiveness, I say adjust depth until you do get a hit. What I do is start from top of water surface and work the bait down or until I get a hit, the opposite is also true in practice.

Good luck, tip up!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:58am - Nov 16,10 
if you do a search on the forum, I believe many recommend rigging w/a half hitch ... never tried it and haven't used roaches in a long time, but worth checking out. Someone made a pretty good video on youtube ...

How deep would depend on where you are fishing ... I had some success setting the float just over top of the remaining weeds.

Good luck!

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: