Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51am - Nov 8,10 
I am new to the board and first off I would like to thank everyone for their tips and experience fishing lake Michigan. I fished the south rocks in the harbor from 8am to 2pm. I caught 1 king about 29 inches on shrimp. This was my first salmon from shore so It was pretty cool but it was pretty much a zombie. I have a picture but I am not sure how to post it. I was hoping that the steelhead or browns would be in but all I saw caught were my king and 4 other cohos. Anyone have any advise or want to teach a newbie to this about steelhead in waukegan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines everyone

Brad

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:49am - Nov 8,10 
Welcome fella- hey you caught one. Steelies should be coming in soon. Lots of info on how if you do so simple searches and look at past posts.

to post pics...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQTJfyQJpmI

Good luck and best wishes for big fishes, :D

Bruce

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:57am - Nov 8,10 
Those steelies should be in there now. Shrimp or spawn would be the call right now. Should only be a matter of time. Might give it a shot myself this week.

Welcome to the site.

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:18pm - Nov 8,10 
Welcome, Saintsfan!

A zombie king on shrimp? Nice catch! I've never heard of zombies hitting shrimp before.

Do you know what the coho were caught on? Also, has the water cleared up off of South Rocks? It was pretty muddy for the past two weeks.

I too am looking forward to the arrival of steelies, browns and more coho!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:49pm - Nov 8,10 
I did not think they would hit shrimp either. The fish was still pretty decent there were no sores or anything I gave it to another fisherman. As far as the coho they were caught on a 1/32 oz white tube jig tip with squid or spikes 5 feet below a slip bobber using 6 pound mono with a 4 pound leader. The water seemed to be clearing up. I could see a distinct dirt line about halfway up the rocks.

Brad

Banned

Post Posted: 07:43am - Nov 9,10 
Kings will hit shrimp! Although they like skein better, shrimp is a great goto! In fast flowing rivers I make shrimp and or tuna balls. I shred the cooked shrimp or tuna with a fork then put the meat in spawn sac netting! I usually make them the same size as an egg sac. My advise is to float two rods, vary the depth, and vary the offerings. Let the fish tell you what they want that day.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01am - Nov 9,10 
I've seen salmon caught on other baits, but no doubt skein/spawn is the #1 bait most fishermen use fishing for salmon.

Yesterday, I was fishing for steelie using cut alewife and hook into a 14" female coho. I saw a another coho caught on shrimp and nothing on skein/spawn. Need to have variety of presentation. I guess on some days salmon doesn't know what the #1 bait is.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:36pm - Nov 12,10 
dont forget about the good ole nightcrawler caught most of my steelies using them on slip bobbers :D

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: