Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:17am - Oct 28,10 
I think I may try floating some cooked shrimp as some have suggested. But I was looking for a few pointers to get me started ...
do you guys use the whole shrimp, or just a small piece?

Otherwise, I'm under the impression that I should use light line, thin bobber and a treble or circle hook a few feet down.

Looking to tangle w/my first steelhead. Just started the lakefront salmonoid fishing this season and have a couple of coho to show for it ... looking to expand!

Also - do you guys normally target fish inside the harbors or out on the main lake side? I know the conditions will help dictate this, but any help is appreciated as there's obviously A LOT of water to cover!

Thanks for any info!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:34am - Oct 28,10 
I use the full shrimp in the 40 to 50 count size. I remove the tail, but that is just because I keep the cocktail sauce near me as I am fishing. :D Float size really doesn't seem to matter, but stealth is always the better way to go. I use the same rods that I fish the creeks with, so I can use lighter line and have a little more control over the fish, trying to turn them and keep them out of the pilings. Inside of the harbor or outside works. Bait and bobber fishing is allowed in the harbor. Runnin' Bare, Gladys Kravits and I soaked shrimp Monday as we sat at the harbor, and there were no takers. The steelies should kick in any time now though. There is usually a good school that comes in as soon as the salmon are done.

Good Luck,

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:55am - Oct 28,10 
Tom,

What size/kind hooks do you use?

Thanks,

Schnoodle

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:02pm - Oct 28,10 
Schnoodle -

you'll find some good info in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=52681&hilit=shrimp

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:06pm - Oct 28,10 
I use a good size red trebble. I put two of the hooks into the shrimp, and leave one exposed. When they hit the shrimp, they don't nibble it, they inhale it. I usually have it two to three feet down under the float. The water is very clear at this time of the year and they can see this bait from far off.

Tom

Twin Fins

Support Staff

Post Posted: 03:45pm - Oct 28,10 
just to clarify what Tom is using is for the main lake and harbors. if you decide to hit any of the creeks or flows there will be regs. on hook size.
for example on the Indiana Tribs you can only live bait fish with one single hook per line with a gap of 1/2 in or less, treble or double hooks are only allowed on artifical baits.

Ignorance and Apathy, I don't know and I don't Care. W.C. Fields

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:50pm - Oct 28,10 
So where would you fish the cooked shrimp 2-3 feet down? Would this be in the inner harbor where its only 5-8 feet deep, or would this be anywhere in the harbor?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:20pm - Oct 28,10 
if you're fishing the Chicago shoreline, along the rocks is good place also. Part of the reason they like shrimp is because they're going after softshells.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:51pm - Oct 28,10 
walleyecatcher wrote:
So where would you fish the cooked shrimp 2-3 feet down? Would this be in the inner harbor where its only 5-8 feet deep, or would this be anywhere in the harbor?

Inside the harbor or the open lake, I usually set the float at 2 to 3 feet. If nothing is happening I will adjust, but 3 feet is usually the ticket.

Bassador,

I have caught a lot of steelhead, and have yet to find one with a softshell in the stomach. Are you sure they feed on crabs?

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:33pm - Oct 28,10 
Tom wrote:
walleyecatcher wrote:
Bassador,

I have caught a lot of steelhead, and have yet to find one with a softshell in the stomach. Are you sure they feed on crabs?

Tom

It's usually deeper for me...almost at the bottom under a bobber close to the harbor mouths in september during the day. It's an assumption on my part that they're going for soft shells. They're both of the crustacian family, right?

Banned

Post Posted: 06:35am - Oct 29,10 
Tip: put your cooked shrimp in a bag and salt it heavy with kosher salt! It seems to add better attraction!

As for softshells! Steelhead love krill and krill scent naturally! It has been programmed into them like a puppy knows how to swim. I never really seen a steelhead pick up anything off the bottom unless there is substantial movement! Even in streams they wait for that single egg to float past them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:58am - Oct 29,10 
Thanks everyone for the great info!

Hopefully there will be a good report to come. Not sure I have the perfect equipment to target them w/floats (I have one 8'6" med heavy that I use for casting/cranking), so I'll see what I can do w/a 7'M that I'll tweak tonight. Looks like it will be a cold one - hopefully that gets them to put the feedbag on!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00am - Oct 29,10 
Joel - you mentioned krill ... do you know of anyone trying the frozen stuff used for fish food? (or is that too small of an offering for the lakefront?) My african cichlids love krill too!

Banned

Post Posted: 07:29am - Oct 29,10 
Too small! I've had great luck with a smaller treble and a piece of cook shrimp the size of a penny gumball!

Master Rivet Popper

Post Posted: 08:25am - Oct 29,10 
McChou wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great info!

Hopefully there will be a good report to come. Not sure I have the perfect equipment to target them w/floats (I have one 8'6" med heavy that I use for casting/cranking), so I'll see what I can do w/a 7'M that I'll tweak tonight. Looks like it will be a cold one - hopefully that gets them to put the feedbag on!

I use a 10' Berkley Light action rod, with 8lb test, with the longer rod I find it easier to control the fish a little better to keep it out of the Boats and Docks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56am - Oct 31,10 
Had a steelie hit a piece of softshell just off the bottom under a float this summer when fishing for perch. Surprised the heck out of me--almost lost my rig. I did, however, lose the steelie at the wall. On the small side, so I wasn't too disappointed that it came unbuttoned.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:48pm - Nov 1,10 
Well, got out on Sunday morning - fished from 5:45-9:30 ... had a couple of bumps on cranks, but no hook ups. Saw a few good fish cruising (didn't have the sunglasses so I couldn't make out a guess as to what species).

Tried floating shrimp once the sun was up ... had one take down while twitching/drifting it but it had to be really small - either a stocker or perch maybe? Took the float down but wouldn't stay down, and couldn't get hooks.

Coldest day out there yet ... hopefully this gets some more fish inshore!

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: