Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:04am - Oct 9,10 
Hi folks,
I am looking to buy a small used boat. It can be very tired, but, needs to be sea worthy. I also have a very set budget that in no way can be exceeded. Needless to say, my price range is bordering on the "do not buy a boat now" bracket. But, I really have the itch so I am creatively looking.

Many of the boats I am inquiring about have title issues. Now I have a clear understanding of how to get a title for the boat with the state and be legal. What I am starting to find now is the trailers do not have a title either and some are "homemade" These can be really solid pieces of equipment.

What I need to know is how would one get a trailer legally registered with the state? Any information would help.

Marty

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:43am - Oct 9,10 
I've seen all the hassles people have had with regs. For ex. Popeye.
I bought a trailer in Wisconsin, went to the nearest Currency Exchange and asked the girl to register it- she wasn't sure and asked the other girl. "Oh, no problem" - filled out the forms and like she said "no problem".

Maybe you can find an experienced person at a Currency exchange- or go to the DMV- like Popeye did - sometimes I think you just have to get the right person-

and btw- Marty- check your pm's.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:55pm - Oct 9,10 
My dad just bought a used boat...it's not that pretty or big, but on the right day, it's great on the lake!

A point about the trailer issue...he bought the boat and trailer in June from his brother-in-law who lives in Michigan. In Michigan (and Wisconsin, I think) they do not title their trailers. Recently, Illinois gov't passed some new regulations for getting homemade trailers (and previously non-titled trailers) a title, and therefore registered. The laws don't make the process any easier and requires you to apply to the State Police and then make an appointment with the State Police to come out and examine the trailer. The State Police are a pretty busy bunch and getting an appointment can take months and months (my dad is still waiting). We found an interesting temporary solution that allows us to use the boat and trailer in the meantime (we don't have a big risk because we're less than a mile from the launch). We even called some boat dealers to see if they knew of a way around it and they expressed the same frustration. Not trying to discourage you at all...just sharing an experience that I'm familiar with.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:35pm - Oct 9,10 
i have a 12ft. supergamefisher that has everything for 1500.00

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:47pm - Oct 9,10 
yes, 'title' and 'registration issues' are common with old boats. Be very, very careful! While a boat with these is not necessarily stolen, it is a real PITA to deal with this state on them if there were lapses in registration and/or missing paperwork. Small boats sit in private storage for years, get passed down, and even bought at yard sales without any forms being filed. Don't settle for anything less than the very best documentation you can get at that price point; leaking aluminum hulls can be repaired in minutes by anyone with TIG access but sketchy paperwork will be a lot harder to deal with. Just my 2¢ worth, from experience.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:03pm - Oct 9,10 
Thanks for the info. I think I've gotten through the boat title. Itlooks fairly straightforward with te state.
But, the trailer will be another thing.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:21am - Oct 11,10 
Marty - good luck with the boat! Just thought I'd add a few unhelpful notes. The process for registering an untitled boat is definitely not as straight forward as it would appear, but stay on it and it is possible. It took me 7 months to get the last boat I bought with no title registered and that was with me having printed bill of sale and power of attorneys for Illinois DNR website beforehand and had the previous owner sign them when I purchased the boat (for $100 might I add). With every boat it seems as if there is a "story". In this case my 1950 whatever rowboat had come from Iowa, which does not title 14 foot boats, so it was never titled to begin with. Basically it took 3 trips from the DNR to inspect the boat and pickup and return checks, a new power of attorney from the seller, a power of attorney and bill of sale from some previous owner in iowa, a printout from the iowa dnr detailing the boat, and a stop by wisconsin dnr 5 months later to get titled.
That was the easy part as you already know. With all the drama with the little boat you know the trailer is not titled, unfortunatel the guys from the DNR really wanted to help me get the boat legal, which they did. The trailer is a different story, you are dealing with the DMV, which seems to care less. After months of trying and ultimately being rejected for a homemade title I gave up somewhere around making a court appointment to file for an abandoned title and decided to come up with a different creative solution ultimately thinking the fines I could end up receiving would be less then all the title fees and pain in the arse anyway. Plus if I get ticketed, maybe that judge will help me become legal. Long story short when it comes to titles, the laws have changed. At least 3 times in the past I just went in and applied for a "homemade" trailer for previous boats, filled out some paperwork and had plates and a title. Now you have to apply to the secretary of state police in writing with pictures, if they decide you qualify (mine did not as the frame itself was manufactured by someone not me) they will set up an appointment to be inspected. After inspection you will be given a title.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Oct 12,10 
Not sure if this is too late, but if you are still looking for a boat and trailor, try to work out a deal with one of the local Marine supply stores. I have been to Alhstrand's looking for a duck/hunting boat several years ago and the owner says he gets trades that he is willing to cut loose for just a couple of hundred dollars. That is boat, motor and trailor. I was amazed at what he was willing to dump just becasue he did not want to put any time into it. A lot of it is just being at the right spot, but if you tell these guys what your looking for they will keep a look out for you. Some of these boats are very, very, very "tired" as you put it, but a budget is a budget sometimes.

This sort of reminds me of my old man when he first got into salmon fishing back in the 70's. He bought this piece of crap that was ugly as you could imagine. The hull was painted dark blue and the top was purple. He sanded the boat down, re-painted it light blue with a white top and put some money into the old 100 hp Merc it came with and I'll you what, he caught more fish on LM over the next 5 years than he did the next 15 after he upgraded that piece of junk. I remember we were fishing this SU tourney out of Diversy and the (I am going to date myself a little here) owner of the Bergimiester was taking pictures for the monthly reader and the meetings. We could see him approaching us and I could tell my Dad was getting excited to get a picture in the reader. So he was walking by my dad's boat and he says to his buddy . .No pictures of that one" my dad was so pissed, but I think he placed in the top 10 boats that one. Point is, the fish don't care what your trolling around in and you can take a lot of fish if you put in the time like the old man did.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: