Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:52pm - Oct 8,10 
With my sister home from school for the weekend, first thing I did after work is pick her up and head down to the harbor. Shortly after our arrival, grumpybear joined us for some float action. We started out working one rod a piece due to the west wind blowing lines across which proved working two rods too difficult. Towards sunset I had a good take down and had a piece of it on the hookset but the hook popped loose. Then Grumpybear hooked into a fish which came unbuttoned a couple minutes later. Right about then the wind died down and the harbor was glass. I decided to put out my second rod, which happened to be an ultralight rigged with 4lb test! Very shortly after casting it out I got a few small take downs which I thought were stockers.... Until I set the hook and the drag went screaming! A 12 minute fight and a huge billygoat effort by all three of us and we finally netted the fish. We had two nets going, one on each side of me fighting the fish so that no matter which way the fish went, we'd be able to get it. Only having 4 lb test I couldn't put much pressure on the fish to tire it out so it took a bit of finessing to coax it into the net!

Because I had intentions of releasing the fish because it was a male I cut the line which the fish had right in the back of its throat and kept it in the net for a while. A last minute decision was made to keep the fish alive on the stringer and see if another fisherman wanted it. Which we found on the way out. Overall, between us, we went 1 for 2.

With mid to upper 70's forecasted for this weekend, it might be one of the best (comfort-wise) in October to get out and fish!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56pm - Oct 8,10 
4lb test?! Way to go! Thats some patience!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:42pm - Oct 8,10 
Thanks TIA, right before I casted I had said that I was actually scarred to hook a fish with as far as I casted cause I already had about a third of the line on the reel out in the water already. Which left me with only so much line to fight the fish with!... Like I said, it took some billygoat effort on the rocks to chase down this fish. haha that was a first for me tho with only 4 lb test!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53pm - Oct 8,10 
Nice fish! And quite a feat on 4 lb test!

I've got a question...I was down there a few days ago floating skein and the stockers kept terrorizing my bait. How do you keep yours away from the little guys? Do you just have to keep moving and pull it away from them before they steal all of the bait? Or is there another trick I don't know? Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47pm - Oct 8,10 
Wow! Thats awesome, I really need to start some shore fishing. I just moved back to illinois so I didn't realise you could do that from shore here. :shock

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:15am - Oct 9,10 
Chupacabra, It's a matter of bait and rebait. We always go through a bunch of skein with these lil stockers around. What I'll do is if I keep getting them biting at it in one area, the next cast I'll move it to a bit further away in attempts that most of them will be where I was previously fishing.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:38am - Oct 9,10 
bass1388 wrote:

Looking at that bobber in your mouth, I would say you are totally hooked on this salmon fishing Mark- :rotflmao

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:01am - Oct 9,10 
Looks like I need to troll the rocks and see if I can pick up a fish for the cooler... from Mark :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27am - Oct 9,10 
wow thats a really nice fish mark.How much did the fish wheight a good 10 pounds.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:42am - Oct 9,10 
Fish men wrote:
wow thats a really nice fish mark.How much did the fish wheight a good 10 pounds.

James, that fish isn't that big- he's holding it out for the picture... I mean - look, even with the bobber in his mouth, his grin is as big as the fish!! :lol:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:15pm - Oct 9,10 
Haha C'mon Bubba, that fish is an easy 30 lbs! lol... And yes, if it was 30 lbs my grin would still be as big as the fish! Actually that fish weighed an even 6lbs. Still a great fight for 4lb test!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:30pm - Oct 9,10 
Do salmon fight harder/more in fall or spring? I caught a 3lb brown trout in spring using 2lb leader and 4lb test, did not get air born display, but that also was because I did not force the fish in and my drag was just right....

thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:11am - Oct 10,10 
:allah you the man Mark!!! all that time out there is paying off!!

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Oct 10,10 
Thanks to all for the comments! I don't really think there is a whole lot of difference in the fight between spring and fall fish. It just depends on the fish species, action of the rod, line weight, and how hard you fight it. Some will say that early fall fish fight better than the fish that have been in the harbor for longer, which may be true. But all I know, is that any of these fish will give you a fight!

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: