Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:20pm - Mar 8,19 
Hoping to start a thread for when and where the action is this Spring.

I went last weekend in Burns Harbor at a discharge and caught 4. I throw a 1/4oz white jig with a 3" white Mr. Twister tail - retrieve as fast as possible - somtimes tip with squid or eggs, i'm sure shrimp would work too, but might mess up the action of the tail. Some were pretty small, but they sure tasted just as good as the big ones! Oh, I also caught one of them on a silver hot 'n' tot.

I went again same spot on Wednesday and didn't get a bite! I think they are just starting to come in, so hopefully the warmer weather coming will bring more numbers.

Please post your catch below.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:30pm - Mar 8,19 
Congrats on the first reported coho catch that I have seen of the season!!

Question for you: Was there any floating ice or is it fully ice free down there?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Mar 9,19 
There’s a lot of pack ice down here. You can get boats in the water, but you cant get out of the harbors in MC or Portage, at least not as of Friday. There is enough open water to fish and the fish are around to catch.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:34pm - Mar 9,19 
ogrecharger wrote:

I went last weekend in Burns Harbor at a discharge and caught 4. I throw a 1/4oz white jig with a 3" white Mr. Twister tail - retrieve as fast as possible - somtimes tip with squid or eggs, i'm sure shrimp would work too, but might mess up the action of the tail. Some were pretty small, but they sure tasted just as good as the big ones! Oh, I also caught one of them on a silver hot 'n' tot.

I went again same spot on Wednesday and didn't get a bite! I think they are just starting to come in, so hopefully the warmer weather coming will bring more numbers.

Were you shore fishing, or from a boat?

Thanks for the report.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:42am - Mar 11,19 
Did some recon on Saturday. South end of the lake completely locked up, save the occasional small holes of open water where there's current. The ditch was open up to the mouth and there were a few boats and many shore anglers out. No one I spoke to on the shore had any luck. I stopped at Jackson Harbor and fished a tiny plot of open water but no luck. Walked the pier and there was great visibility under a coat of skim ice on the beach side of the wall, but didn't see a single thing swimming. Hopefully things will start to clear out this week...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:33am - Mar 12,19 
jwkuofm wrote:
Congrats on the first reported coho catch that I have seen of the season!!

Question for you: Was there any floating ice or is it fully ice free down there?

There was still ice floating, but the discharge melted an area big enough to cast around in. All the ice was gone as of yesterday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:34am - Mar 12,19 
Tom wrote:
ogrecharger wrote:

Were you shore fishing, or from a boat?

Thanks for the report.

Tom

I'm always shore fishing - I don't have a boat.........yet.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37am - Mar 12,19 
I spent a few hours yesterday at the discharge again. Caught one Smallmouth. Had a large fish follow a couple times - almost looked like a laker? I'm not sure if it would make sense for a laker to be hanging out that close to shore this time of year. I didn't catch any coho, but I did see a dead one on the bottom near shore - not sure why someone would have cut it open and left it to die......The few guys fishing around me did catch a few on live bait (minnows under a bobber).

I'm planning on trying again today - with this warm-up, they have to turn on soon!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:49am - Mar 14,19 
Tried again yesterday - better results, slightly. Had a lot of follows, but they didn't want to commit. I finally remembered to get my squid out of the freezer so that should change things going forward.

Caught 3 ho's typical size. One monster brown.

Weather is great, hope I can find time before it gets cold again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:04am - Mar 15,19 
At this time of year the lakers are hanging super close to shore along structure. If you retrieve a little deeper you've got a solid shot at landing a monster.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:53am - Mar 15,19 
New to the Coho scene. Are they scattered throughout all harbors or do they typically hang in a general vicinity?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:53am - Mar 15,19 
Quote:
New to the Coho scene. Are they scattered throughout all harbors or do they typically hang in a general vicinity?

You'll have much better luck working the lakeside opposed to harbor side. But yes, Montrose, behind the Planetarium, 31st Street, Jackson are all good bets. Early season (now) they usually school up at the very south end of the lake then start working their way up when the waters begin to warm. Trick is being in the right place at the right time when a school is going by.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:21pm - Mar 17,19 
Launched the kayak at 31st and trolled the harbor for about two hours, went 1-3 all on hot-n-tots. Brought one fat steelhead to net. Things should get even better this week as it warms. The bite is on!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:08am - Mar 18,19 
I'm beginning to think i'm cursed. I have got 4 each time i've went lately, and the 5th is always still swimming!!!!

Lots of smallmouths too, the occasional big brown.

I'll have to try for Lakers now too!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:08pm - Mar 19,19 
Went out to Montrose from 5-7pm today. Casting a KO Wobbler and a Diving Rapala X Rap. Started on the south facing wall and worked my way back into the harbor. No fish or any other action at all. There were about 4 other people powerling and a few people casting at the mouth of the harbor, didn’t seem like anyone was getting any action. This is my first season trying from the shore, am I on the right track casting a KO Wobbler and a crank? Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:33pm - Mar 19,19 
ordmusky wrote:
Went out to Montrose from 5-7pm today. Casting a KO Wobbler and a Diving Rapala X Rap. Started on the south facing wall and worked my way back into the harbor. No fish or any other action at all. There were about 4 other people powerling and a few people casting at the mouth of the harbor, didn’t seem like anyone was getting any action. This is my first season trying from the shore, am I on the right track casting a KO Wobbler and a crank? Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You are on the right track. Putting another rod out with a float, jig, or hook with a piece of squid or a night crawler is only going to increase your chances.

Anything red or orange, tight wiggle crank bait will get you bit. It's just starting. Going to get hot in the next week or two from shore on the south end.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:48am - Mar 20,19 
Awesome, thank you for the help. I've been throwing the 3/4oz Green/Nickle Wobbler. What type of line do you guys typically use? I have a few bass setups with 12lb Floro and 20lb braid. I'm sure the braid is overkill but is using braid negative for these fish? Thanks again!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:40am - Mar 20,19 
ordmusky wrote:
Awesome, thank you for the help. I've been throwing the 3/4oz Green/Nickle Wobbler. What type of line do you guys typically use? I have a few bass setups with 12lb Floro and 20lb braid. I'm sure the braid is overkill but is using braid negative for these fish? Thanks again!

12lb floro is fine for the leader. These fish are not line shy at this time of the year. It's more of a reaction bite.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:09am - Mar 20,19 
Was out a few hours last night again. Only caught 1 SM, and had 2 others just nip the tail - i could see them do it underwater. Water was very clear, literally hundreds of shad/carp swimming in the discharge - no salmonids though.

Beautiful weather, and perplexing results - I hope Tom is correct and it gets nuts in the next week; i can wait to see a couple fish tailing my retrieve at once!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10am - Mar 21,19 
Hey guys new to the scene and recently moved to South Shore, yesterday was my first Chicago shoreline fishing experience. Went up to Jackson Harbor around 5:30pm, saw some fellas leaving and one had caught a coho, looked like slip bobber. I threw some 3" grubs, tried it with and without a blade, also threw a firetiger rooster tail. No luck but enjoyed the first fishing of the year, and looking forward to this weekend.
As this was my first time out I have really relied on this forum as a resource and it's been very helpful, thanks fellas and tight lines.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: