Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53pm - Sep 18,10 
now that heidecke is no longer a cooling lake do you guys think they should add some lake perch in there to help control the shad and yellow bass population?

i just think with all the flats, rip rap, and baitfish that heidecke could produce some jumbo perch.
Though if i had my choice of dnr projects i'd rather see them add some pvc stick beds and assorted crappie structure to the lake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:14am - Sep 19,10 
That would be good for those guys who like catching walleyes on perch colored crankbaits. There is some grass beds on the southside already.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09pm - Sep 19,10 
Drakebuster wrote:
Don't know about perch, but something needs to be done. The bass population stinks and from what I hear the walleye sucks this year as well. Seems to be no shortage of shad though. Got a 23 1/2" muskie yesterday morning while fishing a bass tourney (which was called at 11 due to the storms)

We have done well on the Walleye the last couple years, Not sure about them other fish your talking about?
As far as perch in the big H sounds good to me if it works :drink

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:20pm - Sep 19,10 
The bass population is coming back, been catching more of them than the last two years. Nothing over 15" but the bucket regs they had on them really took their toll on the popuation. The slot seems to be helping already.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:08pm - Sep 21,10 
In my opinion it is a terrible idea to stock Perch....it is much too dirty, shallow, and has very little cover or weeds. Perch live in mostly deep, clear lakes or rivers. They would not do well with the limit amount of deep water in Heidecke as well as the lack of cover. Stocking the lake with fish that are pelagic (Wipers and White Bass) makes sense....which is already done. Personally, I think Heidecke is such a hit or miss lake, I do not waste my time out there anymore. I know the lake has nice muskies, stripers, and bass, but they are the extremely finicky.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:20pm - Sep 21,10 
There is enough deep water to support monster stripers and walleyes why not perch. Over the past couple of years heidecke has gone through changes. Its alot clear then its use to be and there is grass on the southside. Maybe, try to change ur tactics to work around the changes and shad. Instead of minnows as bait use crawlers or work the lake deeper then u did before. Theres alot of structure that dont show up on the lake maps.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:48pm - Sep 22,10 
I am freak about water lines on my boat in the past that lake was like green soup all the time not just after the bloom. It was pretty clear this year up until the algae bloom of course. The northside was real clear this spring.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53am - Sep 23,10 
I personally don't think it would work on this particular lake. Heidecke on average is shallow, murky, and warm when compared to lakes in which perch thrive. They would have to be continually stocked to have any population, and probably would not attain any size worth angling. The money used to stock the perch might be better spent studying the current populations of the lake and determining what changes to habitat are needed. I would love to see the fishing season extended, maybe some ice fishing, and some efforts to get the aquatic plant life growing out there.

HABITAT SUITABILITY INFORMATION: YELLOW PERCH
http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/wdb/pub/hsi/hsi-055.pdf

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:34pm - Sep 23,10 
this year was terrible it thought. i don't usually keep fish from there but I didn't catch one legal walleye. previous years have been great, numerous nice fish every trip there. until they put a slot or start checking how many walleye the buckets have, i won't be returning.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:15pm - Oct 4,10 
mrsunman

As for perch in H, not sure if they would eat enough of those pesky white bass to make any difference, but they would be a nice bonus fish. Would probably help fatten up the walleye and muskie too. as for water color, with all the zebra mussels in there the color and structure should only improve over time. I can't wait until a good weed edge / bed forms.

Like your comments about stake beds for crappie, there are a few regulars that primarily target crappie, self included, need more cover, so bring out your fish cribs and drop them in 10-14 fow.

Tomorrow is the last day to load up on a few slabs, see you out there. Lake closes Oct 5th for duck hunting.

Just for the record is it: Mr sun man or Mrs un man?

The Crappie master, LOL, :helloooooo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11pm - Feb 23,11 
River Rat has it nailed.

Perch seem to do alright in Silver Lake, Deep Quarry, and even Big Bend, Heidecke has as much deeper water or more than any of those. Silver and DQ are clear but Big Bend is practically a mud pit. They aren't overpopulated, for sure. It may or may not work, but it doesn't seem like your first choice if you want to put more fish in there. How about more of what's there, to start with? The walleye could always use better numbers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52am - Feb 24,11 
There are perch in Big Bend? Any numbers or size? I always used to catch primarily crappies there and an occasional snake northern.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53pm - Feb 24,11 
yes, I saw a guy out early morn that had caught a few. I believe it was Big Bend, I remember being astounded to see them. The walleye from Beck was just as unexpected. For perch, stick to LM though. It wasn't impressive.

I have ceased being surprised by what comes out of where. The big striper and rainbows from a gravel pit was the last straw. From piranha in Lincoln Park lagoon to loaches in whatever lake that was last year, fish can surprise with their adaptability. Using public funds to test the limits of accepted fisheries management is another question.

Edit: changed to Beck, not Bend.

Board index » Lakes » Cooling Lakes
Jump to: