Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:59am - Dec 2,10 
Rather new to the site, have been reading some posts for a while and think this site has some talented sportsman that offer some good advice from time to time. I hope that I may be able to offer a few bits of advice that may help someone to enjoy the great outdoors.

I was wondering if anyone has a first ice game plan, I have been trying to fish the lakes of lower Wisconsin at every chance I get, Geneva (tough lake), Delevan along with a few lakes in the Illinois Chain of lakes, together with a couple of the local forest preserve lakes, I don't have access to any of the private lakes in the area and really like the challenge of fishing the lakes with public access, any thoughts on where first ice will be for the northern part of Illinois and southern part of Wisconsin.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:19am - Dec 2,10 
welcome to the site
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:43pm - Dec 2,10 
Welcome lovefishing.....you found my happy place!
I'm sure there will be many options by the end of next week, and that's why it's so difficult to say where I'll start.....Cold weather comin'.....gear is ready!

Mod

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Dec 2,10 
Welcome to the site!! Have my gear and im ready to rock!! They say there's ice on certain spots on the chain, but not thick enough to fish. Hope this cold spell makes it possible. I hear the temps are gonna drop this weekend and throughout next week! "If its gonna get cold, the least we can do is fish!!" :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44pm - Dec 2,10 
T channels in antioch is a good place to start, be careful for the firts few weeks, just because one knucklehead decides it is first ice does not make it safe. 4 inch minimum and even then be aware that it can vary in thickness in as much as a foot or two. ice picks and cleats are a must, a rope and life preserver is a good move too.

also tell people where you are going, and fish with a buddy.

have fun, I will probably be out on the same lakes as you at some point. I fish channel, some smaller lakes, and planning on WI this year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:07am - Dec 3,10 
Thanks for the welcome...

I gave Nielsons (sp) a call today and they said "maybe next week, "there is only about an inch right now", I have fished the channels at Nielsons a few times, as most of you probably know it gets a little crowded, but I like to get out early and get the kinks out of the equipment. I haven't kept any gills or crappie out of Nielsons yet, I have heard from a couple of different sources that the water may have some quality issues, but it is still fun seeing if I can fool some gills.

I guess I am getting a little chicken in my old age, I try to carry spikes and never leave home without my cleats and a rope, even with 12 inches of ice..LOL I have been to Geneva a number of times and watch the vans, trucks and cars drive right out but I just can't bring myself to do it, went threw the ice 20 years ago and thought it was the end of road, little spooked ever since, not spooked enough to stay off, just get the willys. I try to get a buddy if at all possible, but sometimes it isn't possible so off I go with my oneman in tow, if my numbers up while fishing at least I was pursuing something I can't live without...see ya out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02pm - Dec 3,10 
i8fish2 wrote:
ice picks and cleats are a must, a rope and life preserver is a good move too.

I always wear a PDF around 1st ice. Can never be to safe. Don't forget a partner for 1st ice as well.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11pm - Dec 3,10 
A good lake for lots of pike is Camp Lake in Kenosha County. It is a decent size lake so not for first ice. But a great place to take kids when the ice settles in. Not alot of panfish but alot of action with tipups. Pike are mostly small but still fun seeing the flags popping.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47pm - Dec 3,10 
Welcome to the site! I'm sure there will be lots of ice talk on the boards shortly....it's already starting. :cold

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:22am - Dec 5,10 
The fever is getting real bad, most of the ponds are iced over in Illinois and all off my northern buddies are sending pictures of gills, 3-4 inches of ice two days ago. The report for next week is COLD so it looks like next weekend might be safe, 3 inches, of ice on the smaller lakes and backwaters. Hey David thanks for the heads up on the pike, have been trying to get my son hooked on ice fishing and fishing in general. We had a good outing at Delavan last year, stayed at Lake Lawn and got over some gills that provided good action!! He made the comment "I love ice fishing" so I was very pleased. I know he would have a blast with some pike.

Board index » Welcome to Chitown! » Members First Cast
Jump to: