Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:46pm - Sep 6,10 
Hi all- Great site I've stumbled upon here. A lot of information to soak in and people willing to help. I don't have the biggest boat, that's for sure. It's a 17' 7" Bass Tracker and it sits close to the water of course. I was out yesterday (09/05) and made it out to the R4 buoy starting from Burnham Harbor (about 1/2 tank of gas). I couldn't get anything to bite trolling spoons and flies on Dipsy Divers but then I didn't really expect too much my first time out. I know I need to watch the weather carefully since my boat is small and I bought a marine radio just in case. I don't really have the space on my boat to mount downriggers but I've heard of something called the "fish seeker" found at Cabela's or Bass Pro. It's similar to the Dipsies but is adjustable from 5- 80 feet. Has anyone heard of that and do you think that will work? Any tips would really be appreciated. :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:50pm - Sep 6,10 
I suggest you join Salmon Unlimited, considering you made it all the way out to the R4 in your small boat from Burnham Harbor. You got a bad case of Salmonitist my friend and you need professional help! :lol:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:09pm - Sep 6,10 
Welcome to the site- ChanesR gave some very good advice-

ChancesR wrote:
I suggest you join Salmon Unlimited, considering you made it all the way out to the R4 in your small boat from Burnham Harbor. You got a bad case of Salmonitist my friend and you need professional help! :lol:

And- I'd sure make sure you gas gauge works perfectly and you don't have to fight headwinds and waves to get back in-

Lots of good info here. Enjoy and learn...... and be careful.

best wishes,

Bruce

P.S.- if you're married, you might want to consider life insurance for the wife :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:07pm - Sep 6,10 
Thanks very much for the advice and welcome. My wife agrees with you chancesr, she said I'm nuts. I really can't wait to catch something, anything! I've been reading about a boat launch in Evanston on Church street. Any idea how much it costs to launch there and what their hours are? It's much closer to the r4 and I think that may be the way to go. Less gas... By the way, I have a new 2009 with a 50 horse. Not a lot of power but I can get up to about 27 mph on a calm day. Not sure if Lake Michigan has calm days though.

ps-I have pretty good life insurance so I'm ok in that department :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:03pm - Sep 9,10 
Welcome Kev yes there is a launch in evanston pm me in october lol illshow you some of my gem spots outthere for ph fat browns

Board index » Welcome to Chitown! » Members First Cast
Jump to: