Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18pm - Jul 19,10 
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and new to Chi-town fishing. A little background. I grew up in north-west Maine and moved here a little over 10 years ago. Just this summer I decided to get back into fishing. I used to go for big stripers on the Penobscot River on a fly rod, lake trout (togue in Maine-speak) bass, brookies, browns and Atlantic salmon. My questions will be many. First, what in the area will compare to what I am used to? (I know bass) but have never hooked a northern or walleye or even a crappie for that matter. Also, is it worth having a boat here? I am really tossing around the idea of picking up a used 16-18 footer. I got back into fishing because of the great memories I have as a kid fishing with my dad and brothers, and now that I have two young ones I want to give them the chance.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:33pm - Jul 19,10 
Welcome to the site.

You can fish with or with out a boat. But a boat is more fun. ;)

Use the search key on the fish you are targeting, you'll find a lot useful info here.

Some nice stripers have been found in heidecke lake on the fly. The best place for walleyes is to jig and wade the rivers. Northerns will hit bass gear, you just need to find em in the lakes and rivers. Crappie's can be found deeper and spring (Ice out) is great time to target from the shore. Wait for west winds and you can cast spoons out on the big lake for kings.

This is all general but will get started.

Good luck, enjoy the information you'll find here..

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:10am - Jul 20,10 
Welcome JD1969,I think that it is worth having a :red here.There is many good lakes and rivers to fish and a boat to me makes more areas to fish possible.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:21am - Jul 20,10 
Yes, Welcome JD.

This area is a lot different than your old territory. If you search some of the forums, like species specific you can find out a lot of info. Most of the lakes and water in Illinois are warmer, more shallow. There's a lot of good Muskie fishing to be found in the midwest, some huge bass, great panfishing, and walleyes in some nearby rivers. They catch some nice bass through the ice (open season I believe).

Twade is very familiar with that area I believe and a several other fellows- Getdanet, Bearsfan, CDXdog....

The stripers Twade refers to are like a white perch- white bass fish- check out the fish id menu on header of this site. Although in Heideke- they may be the larger hybrid stocked stripers (? don't know). Naturally there's no ocean run striped bass in the area.

Not sure about stream browns in Illinois- know there's several streams in southwest Wisc. and northern Wisconsin.

Re: Togue- you have a couple of choices- The lakes are not deep, cold and clear for the most part except Lake Geneva in southern Wisconsin, Big Green in Central Wi are two lakes that I know of and Lake Michigan.

If you really want to spend some money, you can fish Lake Mich. for Salmon, Lake Trout and Steelhead. This is more like what you were used to and I think the St. Joes River and others on the southern tip of LM and Mich are great. Kids might be a little young for that kind of fishing.

I grew up in southern NH and used to fish Landlocks and Lakers in Winnepasaukee and other lakes there. Did a little striper fishing and even went for coho on the ? River when they stocked some waaaayyy back in the 70's?

Best thing is to check out the site- lots of info and great people to help you out- just ask!!

Best wishes for big fishes,

Bruce

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:53am - Jul 20,10 
Welcome aboard.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15am - Jul 20,10 
Welcome! you will do welll reading off the boards and making friends here.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:36pm - Jul 20,10 
Welcome JD.. Lots of boats for sale in the present economy,just watch the prices. One of the lakes (shabonna) mentioned on another page has a 10hp limit.. I hear they'll let you on with the big motor trimmed up using either a kicker or your trolling motor. This is a great site for information of all kinds, without the b.s. encountered on many other sites.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:03pm - Jul 22,10 
Locate Coren's Rod & Reel, a fly shop and rod building shop in Chicago near O'Hare. They'll gave you great advice on flyfishing streams and Lake Michigan from shore.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Jul 22,10 
Welcome!! :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:39pm - Jul 24,10 
Welcome to you and the family. Loads of good folks and good info here.
Tight lines!
GDN1

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Board index » Welcome to Chitown! » Members First Cast
Jump to: