Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:49am - Jul 29,13 
awhile ago i ran across these formulas for estimating fish weight. here they are
1.Measure, in inches, the length of the fish from the front of its mouth to the end of its tail. Write that number down.
2.Measure, in inches, the girth of the fish at the largest part of the body. Write that number down.
3.Determine the weight for any fish by first squaring the girth figure. For example, if the girth is 12 inches, multiply 12 by 12. Multiply the new figure by the length of the fish. Divide the new figure by 800 to determine the weight of the fish, in pounds.
4.Determine bass weight by multiplying the length by the length by the girth. Divide that figure by 1,200.
5.Determine northern pike weight by multiplying the length times the length times the length. Divide that figure by 3,500.
6.Determine sunfish weight by multiplying the length times the length times the length. Divide that figure by 1,200.
7.Determine trout weight by multiplying the length times the girth times the girth. Divide that figure by 800.
8.Determine walleye weight by multiplying the length times the length times the length. Divide that figure by 2,700.
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:17pm - Jul 29,13 
wish I would have had this for some of the girls I hooked up with in college. I might have reconsidered :bigyuck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:17pm - Aug 18,13 
Late response, just saw this. Thanks for the reference denny. I can approximate a few monsters I caught but never weighed with this, with some sense of justified accuracy.
Ok, like the 47" sturgeon I caught on 6# test, or the 31" chinook I caught on a powerline. Since the last one, now I carry a scale in my tackle boxes, not only a tape measure. But still, thanks for the reference. Now I just need to type in the reference into my phone, and use the phone calculator. Or whip up some number in my head? No, just kidding, thanks! I clipped it and it's posted on my desktop, and tucked in a couple of my tackle boxes, with you name on it!

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: