Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51am - Jul 19,12 
Will be doing some carp fishing tomorrow out in a pond in south holland IL. This will be my first time using a hair rig and boilies. Wackier Baits gave me everything that I needed. I also bought a chum mix and was told this is the "key" part to carp fishing, we'll see about that. Will post pics!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:25pm - Jul 19,12 
Good luck! Looking forward to reading your report!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:41pm - Jul 19,12 
Good luck. Them carpies do put up a fight make sure your rods are strapped down. Only takes a second for them big brutes to yank them in. As for the Chum it won't hurt for sure but depending on the size of the pond they'll come a running anyway. Carp have an AMAZING sense of smell. Just a thought but try and stop by Walmart and pick up a loaf of their cheapest wheat bread. Gotta be the cheap stuff and NOT white. It's nice and greasy and makes a good ball. You pretty much have to use a treble of course and you will change the bait often if they're not committing. Carp will suck in a bait many times and spit it out before they actually commit to eating it. If your primary bait fails to produce for you it's worth a try. (I've also heard using Mcdonalds fries work see a pattern here?)

Now the yanking your chain portion of my response. HEY wait a minute isn't your handle "onlycats" :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:53pm - Jul 19,12 
But your name is "onlycats"!!! :bigyuck

Good luck!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:41pm - Jul 22,12 
How'd the carping go man! I was hoping to go out tomorrow and wanted to hear how you did before I went out!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40pm - Jul 22,12 
Well Well these carp are defiantly smart fish. I only caught one 4lb carp and got only one other bite. Idk what it was. This was my first time fishing with the hair rig and using boilies. Carp sure do take a great while to bite. This has made me in dyer need to go catfish fishing!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:32am - Jul 23,12 
Gotta go old school. chum with corn and throw a few kernels on a #8 Hook -& flourocarbon is a must in clear water

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:28pm - Jul 23,12 
I was going to try that this week sometime Blackellunge!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:28pm - Jul 23,12 
The water i fished in was pretty murky.

@Puregerman55 are you fishing in South Holland?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:19pm - Jul 23,12 
No I fish around the Far west area of Joliet. Couple creeks and lakes I know have some really nice carp in them that I love to fish for! Tonight I'm doing late night catfishing but i want to get out maybe tomorrow or wednesday for some carp!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59pm - Jul 23,12 
Ok, let me know how it goes for you as well. Good Luck!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Jul 24,12 
Onlycats- Got out today around 1230 and fished until 330. Ended up with 8 fish total with me and my friend getting an equal 4-4 amount. Biggest one was around 10-15 lbs and put up one heck of a fight! Gonna try to go out again maybe Thursday and try for some more!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:45pm - Jul 24,12 
Thats great. What did you use and how if you dont mind sharing...?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:16pm - Jul 24,12 
Sure! I was using canned corn with just a small split shot weight around 2 ft up the line. I would put around 4 to 5 kernals on the hook then cast it out. After it was cast i throw a handful of corn around my piece on the bottom. After tht its just a waiting game! Hope this helps! If you still have trouble getting them to bite feel free to PM me!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26am - Jul 25,12 
thats the way to do it Puregerman! - nicely done - got me a 17 pounder last year off the dupage river using that method

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35am - Jul 25,12 
Very nice Blackellunge! Hoping to go out again tomorrow and see if I can get some more!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:47pm - Jul 25,12 
I must try this!!! thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:54pm - Jul 25,12 
The hair rigs seem to be effective when fished with corn instead of a boilie as well. Pretty much the same approach expect I like to throw the corn out first and then place an accurate cast right into the middle of the corn. I definitely like that the hair rig keeps the carp from feeling tension of the weight or rod.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:30am - Jul 26,12 
If you're not doing so well ,try choosing a different location.Carp are very wary,and have good eyesight.They usually cooperate well,unless they are in spawn mode,don't waste your time then.Whole kernel corn on a small hook is usually good enough for them.Chumming a handful is enough too,and I seldom toss it out farther than 12 feet or so.Most actively feeding carp are going to be in close.Land your cast in the middle of your chum spot.Watch this video and you might be suprised,how they can spit out your offering without even twitching the rod tip!

If your in South Holland,your not far from the Calumet River.Access at Veterans Park might be worth a shot.There is some real pigs in there!Wolf Lake has a bunch too.Be patient and ye will be rewarded.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Jul 27,12 
@4season Thanks I'm pretty sure ill be trying it again soon. I cant let them beat me!!

@Jakesmith That was a great clip, I'm still learn the characteristics of carp. Also, I see folks always fishing in the river but I fish at Gouwens park, its monsters over there!!

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: