Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:18am - Nov 7,10 
Where can I find Carp on the south side of Chicago

To catch on hook and line not Bow

I practice Catch and release and I never leave a mess I even clean up garbage left by others
So don't have to worry about the swim being wrecked

It would be great to find a proven Southside Chicago Carp spot

2010 PB= 13lb 13oz IL
Common = 13lb 13oz IL
Mirror=8lb 1oz IL
Channel Catfish= about 12-15lb was 38 inches long
Longnose Gar= 34inches

like i said I never kept track til now so these are only ones i had somewhat recorded.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:28am - Nov 7,10 
Hello and welcome to the site!As far as places to catch carp on the southside?It would be harder to find a body of water around here that didn't have carp in it.Some options though would be the rivers,Calumet,DesPlaines,Illinois ,or Dupage,plenty to be found in Lake Michigan too.I've done well at Wolf Lake on the Illinois side,Twin lakes in Midlothian is rumoured to have some big ones too.Oftentimes catching is easier in the smaller lakes and rivers.This time of year they are apt to be a little tough to catch,but you can bet they are around,good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:00am - Nov 7,10 
Catch all you want but please don't release. :rotflmao

We have too many call them Buffalo and give them away.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:58pm - Nov 11,10 
top wrote:
Catch all you want but please don't release. :rotflmao

We have too many call them Buffalo and give them away.

OK all I have to say is you are entitled to your own opinion. I happen to enjoy carp fishing and i would love for it to expand in the United States and perhaps us Americans will be able to catch bigger and better carp if only they weren't so mistreated and un respected.

2010 PB= 13lb 13oz IL
Common = 13lb 13oz IL
Mirror=8lb 1oz IL
Longnose Gar= 34inches

like i said I never kept track til now so these are only ones i had somewhat recorded.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:01am - Nov 12,10 
JakeSmith wrote:
Hello and welcome to the site!As far as places to catch carp on the southside?It would be harder to find a body of water around here that didn't have carp in it.Some options though would be the rivers,Calumet,DesPlaines,Illinois ,or Dupage,plenty to be found in Lake Michigan too.I've done well at Wolf Lake on the Illinois side,Twin lakes in Midlothian is rumoured to have some big ones too.Oftentimes catching is easier in the smaller lakes and rivers.This time of year they are apt to be a little tough to catch,but you can bet they are around,good luck.

Where did you catch the fish that you posted in your last post.

and yea I realize that we have pleanty of carp around here but i never really find a consistent spot where the fish always bite. I mean i have a couple spots that i pull 7-16lb carp out of but its kind of an on off thing one day ill catch 10-15 fish in a day and sometimes ill 0-2 fish. I'm just trying to narrow things down to the best of the best.

2010 PB= 13lb 13oz IL
Common = 13lb 13oz IL
Mirror=8lb 1oz IL
Longnose Gar= 34inches

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:31am - Nov 16,10 
If you're looking for size, I would definately focus on waters connected to Lake Michigan. Plenty of BIG fish to be found in the harbors and rivers. Have definately seen some 30lb+ fish cruising the piers out on the lake. I don't have any spots for you, but if you're looking for a trophy, well, you have your place!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:05pm - Dec 21,10 
your location reads Burbank. I'm not 100% sure how far west that is but try the river/canal at around 116th and Harlem. There's alittle aeration station(waterfall) there just beside Harlem, next to the golf course. Doesn't freeze over in the winter. I too have turned into a carp fisher and don't fish for much else except for king salmon. There are many amazing places to catch these fish around Chicago if you know where to drop a line. You read like your from across the big pond. I would guess England? Yes, We Americans don't have a clue about this amazing fishery. I run the Windy City Carp League and have been out of circulation for awhile and hope I'm back. If you wish, PM me and maybe we can share a bank somtime. later

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56pm - Jan 14,11 
Burbank is like between 75th and 87 street and harlem and cicero. I live closer to harlem and 87th and I do know the spot at 116th harlem but I never really took a liking to it even though i didn't really fish it. just to many people and do they kick you out after sunset it seemed like it which I don't like. And I really didn't know where to fish and when I fished near the waterfall it was snag after snag and thats no fun. I am the sun of Polish immigrants but i myself was born in american but my love of carp does come from my european back ground this year was my first year fishing with european tackle and methods and I did quite well but still lack experience so it be great to fish with someone with a bit more experience. PM me the next time your going out and would like someone to tag along. i don't fish in the winter. I'll wait until things warm up. My names Adam 18years old. see you on the bank.

2010 PB= 13lb 13oz IL
Common = 13lb 13oz IL
Mirror=8lb 1oz IL
Longnose Gar= 34inches

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:29am - Jan 15,11 
Check out some of the carp anglers websites, loads of information. OG :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:49pm - Jan 15,11 
I see them catch alot of big Carp on the Little Calumet River, at 134th and Ashland, in Blue Island. there is a fishing wall there...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:27am - Jan 16,11 
Cannot find carp on the south side of Chicago? Now that is unbelievable. If any fish would describe fishing in the Chicago area, it is the carp. I grew up on the south side and fished Wolf Lake, Calumet Lake and the 95th street lake front. By brother-in-law worked for the General Mills plant. One day, he took me to the docks where the grain was being unloaded from the barges. He said "watch this" and took a handful of grain that had fallen onto the ground and threw it in the water. As soon as it hit, there were a thousand carp mouths on the surface. Just like those videos of the Asian carp. I know that the plant is closed but can only wonder if that huge school is still in the area. I also remember the train passing through the Wolf Lake area and finding grain that had fallen. But that stuff mostly went to the rats. :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:30am - Jan 17,11 
Thanks for the jokes guys I know they are everywhere but I was just wondering if anyone had some spots they were especially pleased with. But thats fine I have my own couple spots that I like guess i'll stick to them. but if anyone wanna bring up some good experiences it be nice to here.

2010 PB= 13lb 13oz IL
Common = 13lb 13oz IL
Mirror=8lb 1oz IL
Longnose Gar= 34inches

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:24pm - Jan 17,11 
Hey PL, You ever try the north side? The Chicago River is open all year round and has many decent spots to put a line in. That spot down on Harlem is pretty good. I only fish it in the fall and winter or there's too many people. I'll post the league schedule later.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54pm - Jan 17,11 
I found the league schedule on midwestcarp.com I would like to know specifics like cost of entering and is it necessary to be a CAG memeber stuff like that mostly to get an idea not sure if I'd join the competitive arena just yet but maybe. If not I'll just keep in mind the schedule and come out to a couple of meets to join you guys.

2010 PB= 13lb 13oz IL
Common = 13lb 13oz IL
Mirror=8lb 1oz IL
Longnose Gar= 34inches

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: