Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:59pm - Oct 19,10 
Well met Popeye at the lake at 6:30. Thought that would be early enough...NO WAY!!! Was the 4th car in line!!! Gates open and off we go! OK cool nobody is fishing the spot we want. Beautiful day, but a little breezy. Wind is making it hard to keep the bobbers in the strike zone. We picked up a few crappies each and Frank caught a perch. Finally Geo hooks up with the elusive 13 1/2 inch Rainbow!!! Well we have 1...its like 10am....not much action. Saw a few other anglers landing fish. About 11 we are packing up to move to the other side of the lake so the bobbers blow out rather then sideways and in. whats the last thing you do when you pack up? Take your rods out..well I hooked up with another fish that can unbuttoned. HMMMM should we stay or should we go? We are packed !!! We are going...sure glad we did. We set up on the new spot and good ole Pops hooks up!! fish looked to be about 14 and Pops already was planning what method of cooking!!! Its still flopping around and Pops sez...I got a nice cedar plank you will look good on over the grill!!! Pops got dinner!!! Well we missed a few more and Geo landed another 3.

Popeye had to go...but I stayed a few more hours....shouldnt have been though!!! I missed 6 more fish and had 2 get unbuttoned!!! WTF!!! This is the elusive limit!!! But alas the story does have a happy ending........

Yes Yes...finally the 5th fish!!! Time to pack in it for the day!!!!

Had a GREAT day with a GREAT FRIEND.....Popeye its always a good time fishing with you!!!! Wish you could have caught a few more...you would have if ya didnt have to go! When i got home we put the ole ruler on these guys and the sizes were:

1@ 12 1/2" 2@ 13" 1@13 1/2" 1@ 14"

AHHHH....day started out slow...I was hoping I didnt loose my touch!! But ended in a flurry!!!

Great to see ya Pops...how big was the one that walked the plank?

Ohhhh...all fish were caught on minnows 3 feet down...the crappies and perch were released!!

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Last edited by Geo7455 on 09:05pm - Oct 19,10, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:15pm - Oct 19,10 
Way to go Geo.Sounds like you had a good day of fishing even though you loss more fish then you landed but all in all you got a limit good job.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:15pm - Oct 19,10 
Unbuttoned?? Haven't heard that one yet! Sounds like a great day! Bring 'em on, Geo!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:20pm - Oct 19,10 
MarTea...better think of a few more recipes!!!! Practice makes perfect...looks like your going to be eating well!!!

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:46pm - Oct 19,10 
I think my original recipe (dumb luck!) was probably the best when you presented me with a fish that I had to put in a pan that I normally use for turkey.......... Thanks, Geo - can't wait!! :D :wink:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:54pm - Oct 19,10 
Nice going guys. Great way to start the season with some good eaters. Sounds like MarTea knows how to broil Rainbow Trout- usually a highly desired dinner choice at top-end restaurants. Maybe Pops can tell her how to do the Cedar plank deal as well- ya got enough to practice on. :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05pm - Oct 19,10 
Bubbalouie wrote:
Nice going guys. Great way to start the season with some good eaters. Sounds like MarTea knows how to broil Rainbow Trout- usually a highly desired dinner choice at top-end restaurants. Maybe Pops can tell her how to do the Cedar plank deal as well- ya got enough to practice on. :D

Oh, I can cook trout! Baked to perfection, or grilled with Geo's help! My all-time fave is a classic - sauteed almonds in butter and drizzled over the trout - OMG - delicious! I have heard about the cedar plank thing and would love to indulge, but I don't think my little gas grill can handle it! Alas...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:48am - Oct 20,10 
Awsome guys. Way to avert the crowds as well by waiting a couple days. I popped over to Pickeral this weekend in the afternoon and was literally blown away at the hundreds and hundreds of people lining the shoreline. Since they moved the opener from West Branch to Pratts Wayn i just havnt been motivated to brave the crowds. Deep quarry is three times the size of Pickeral and it was crowded there. We used to avert the shorline chaos by using a canoe. Then they closed the lake to carry in boats do ot the zebra muscle thing. That really sucked. I tried Pickeral last year during the opener and couldnt stand the insain crowds. I loved fishing for trout. Reminds me of fishing the truckee river in Reno. Maybe ill pop over there this afternoon and wet a line for old times sake. Things should have died down by now a little. Great job felllas.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:31am - Oct 20,10 
Didn't measure it before but here is is in a 13" length view

It didn't turn out as good as I was hoping but that could be because I used jarred dill weed instead of fresh dill and lemon juice instead of lemon slices. I wasn't gonna go to the store for that as I was tired and hungry and had just hung up the phone after nearly an hour of talking to insurance and mortgage people (I hate talking on the phone in the first place and talking to these yahoos only compounds that), so I made due. I did eat both fillets though so it wasn't like it was repulsive or anything. Had some grilled garden fresh carrots and zucchini for side dishes.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:52am - Oct 20,10 
I dunno Pops- sounds and looks really tasty- but MarTea cooks Rainbow trout- yours looks like "Speckeled" trout- :rotflmao

And if you keep eating both fillets that size and you'll be a wearing my belt size- 'course I'd have grilled some low cal potatoes seasoned with olive oil and basil along with those fattening carrots and zucchini .....

Maybe you can tell us, if you can use any size cedar plank to fit on a grill- and tell us how to cook it. Maybe you did post that once? Where do you get the cedar planks- any Cedar do? Guess I don't have to worry too much- I never catch any fish- but MarTea and others I'm sure would want to know!

Thanks.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:37am - Oct 20,10 
I just drizzled some olive oil on the fish and seasoned it with kosher salt and coarse pepper. Sprinkled on some dill weed (no fresh dill) and some lemon juice (no fresh lemons to slice). Put it on the cedar plank that I picked up at Gander Mountain (or BPS, can’t remember) and placed it on a medium high grill (mine is gas) for 15-20 minutes. I left the skin on, as it was a whole fish, you can fillet them out and either leave it on or remove it. Last year when I did a steelie on the cedar, I filleted it out and took the skin off.

I think someone cedar planked a Steelie last year (or earlier than that) and used orange and lemon slices.

I've read that if you go to a lumber yard to get the cedar make sure it is cabinet quality as that doesn't have the nasty preservatives in the wood. Mine are designed for food and 1/4" thick and 5-1/2"x15"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Oct 20,10 
Popeye wrote:
Didn't measure it before but here is is in a 13" length view

13 inches without the head???? Had to be at least 15 inches then!!! That was the big fish of the day Pops!!!! Quality not quantity?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:07pm - Oct 20,10 
OK, maybe 12" That cedar plank it's sitting on is 15" and there is a bout an inch and a half on each end.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:06pm - Oct 25,10 
Dontcha have to soak those Cedar planks in water before ya use 'em on the grill???
I only used them twice and they still got pretty scorched.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:55pm - Oct 25,10 
nice fish geo and pop's those rainbows will sure eat good
dd

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:19pm - Oct 25,10 
John, yes I soak it for about an hour before using it. They need to get a little charred as that smoke adds to the flavor.

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: