Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:38pm - Mar 4,10 
This is new to me and I thought you guys might like this info in case you or one of your fishing buddies gets stuck by a hook. The 2 links below are as follows one video and the step by step instructions of a hook removal process called The String-Yank Hook Removal Method. Just thought I would pass it on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAGWZskGg

http://www.gofc.us/docs/MarineMedicineHook.pdf

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:01pm - Mar 4,10 
I do know somebody that tried this.....it didn't end so well....3 weeks off of work and major hand surgery... :shock:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:26pm - Mar 4,10 
tried this on my best freinds mother inlaw she had a hook thru her upper lip hook came out fine no dammage to the lure at all but the mother in law now talks with a lisp :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
duck

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 03:38pm - Mar 4,10 
DANCES WITH FISH wrote:
I do know somebody that tried this.....it didn't end so well....3 weeks off of work and major hand surgery... :shock:

Damn you DWF! I didn't know we were going to talk about THAT story! :twisted:

Two tips on this method: Always cut off the remaining treble hooks, and never hold the bait with your free hand, when your partner is about to yank the embedded barb. :shock:

Definitely not a method for amateurs or the faint of heart...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:18pm - Mar 4,10 
The best part is you get to chug Makers Mark, mum, mum. I think any method that get's the hooks out and let's you drink good whiskey is a good one in my book.

Profile WWW  

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 09:11am - Mar 5,10 
Chas E. wrote:
DANCES WITH FISH wrote:

Damn you DWF! I didn't know we were going to talk about THAT story! :twisted:

Two tips on this method: Always cut off the remaining treble hooks, and never hold the bait with your free hand, when your partner is about to yank the embedded barb. :shock:

Definitely not a method for amateurs or the faint of heart...

I Thought I would just share story about the above mentioned (kinda of a long read, so if you get bored, just click on the latest post button. LOL)

A few years back me and a buddy went night fishing for bass. We were fishing a small lake out South West. It was around 10:30 pm when we got started. I tied on a Zara Spook, and my buddy was already rigged up with a 4" power worm. I started out catching fish right away. Nothing big, but still fun none the less. My buddy started working his way around the lake, and casting. We usually did this to see what the fished preferred.

I flipped a cast parallel to the shore, and had a big fish blow up on the spook & miss it. I continued to “walk the dog” with the bait, and had a much smaller fish come up and nail it. As I landed the fish, I was holding it with my right hand. The bass was hooked real good. For those of you that are familiar with the Spooks, they come with those nasty Excalibur hooks, that are chemically sharpened.

While I was trying to remove the hook, the fish shook and slipped out of my hand, burying one of the hooks of the front treble, into my right index finger, above the knuckle. Now the fish was shaking around, and felt like a world record with the weight hanging from sore paw :shock: .

I shouted out to my buddy “ Dave come over here” he yells back “Why?” I yell back “Get over here, dumb @$$” :twisted: So what seemed like an eternity, was probably only a minute or so.
Dave shines his flash light on me, and says “ that’s not a big fish” I say... “I know Einstein, look at my finger!” Whoaa, Dave says.

I tell him just to get the bass off the ZP, and so he did. I think to my self, “screw it” I’m just going to give it one quick yank, and hopefully it will come out. NEGATIVE, stupid idea. I tell Dave it’s time to go to the hospital. He then tells me he read an article in In-Fisherman, about wrapping heavy line around the shank of the hook, and giving it one quick yank. He said it should slide right out. Right? Yeah right.... He wraps the hook with line while I’m holding the bait with my left hand. On the count of three, Dave says. 1 2 3.... Doah, followed by a loud yell :shock . Dave shines the light back on my left hand, which I’m not looking at. I ask “ is it bad?” Dave replies.... Time to go to the emergency room, dude.

Yep, both set of trebles, all six hooks/barbs, buried in my fingers & palm of my left hand.
Of course we have to stop at a gas station on the way, b/cuz Dave is low on gas. We pull up by a pump, he asks me “How you doing” I say “ What do you think Sherlock?” :twisted: ... “Oh” he says.

Finally we get to the hospital, and were walking in the emergency doors, with two paramedics standing there. One of the ask me “What happen, son? Did you injure your shoulder?” See at this time I had my hand under my armpit, because my hand was throbbing. I pulled out my hand, showed them, and said “No”! :shock:

We made are way to the desk, where a nurse handed me paper work to fill out. I raised my left hand, and showed her. I asked “not to be ignorant, but does like I’m in any condition to fill out paper work? She said (with a shocked look) “probably not, we’ll just have your buddy fill out the forms, ok?” Yeah, perfect. Let him take care of that s@%!

Now I was brought to a room/stall where a intern nurse gave me 20 something shots in the web of my fingers, the tips of my fingers, the top of my hand, and the palm of my hand. She asked if I could still feel my hand? Hell yes, I said, in grimusing pain. Well, she left and about five minutes later, a doctor comes in, and gives me one shot in the wrist. My whole arm from my hand to my shoulder went to sleep.

I’ll end the dramatic story here, and say two hours later, 1:30 in the morning, several incisions to the bones in my fingers & hand, some tendon repairs finally got to go home one sore pup!

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wanted to point out. Use extreme caution when trying the above “hook removal method”. thx

Chas

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:23am - Mar 5,10 
Chas

Great story.

Your play by play description of the events made it feel as if I was watching it unfold before my
very eyes.

And the story had a happy ending too!

Wonderful

Just one question.

Whats a bass?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Mar 5,10 
:shock OUCH!!!! I'm thinking if it's an option a quick trip to the local minor emergency is in order.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:39am - Mar 5,10 
Yes :shock - thought the fellow was going to tie up the line to a door knob... you know, like pulling a tooth. But might work good if you can push the eye end of the hook down.

But then I read Chas E. :shock again- thought when you were in the hospital with your hand under your arm- you were going to get it caught there too! :shock 2x's again.

and Denny Duck- you missed the chance of a lifetime- you had the line and the hook to use as a needle for complete "mum is the word" surgery- :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:30am - Mar 5,10 
Quote:
But then I read Chas E. again- thought when you were in the hospital with your hand under your arm- you were going to get it caught there too! 2x's again

Not a chance....if you read again, all 6 barbs were buried in his hand! :shock

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:03pm - Mar 5,10 
DANCES WITH FISH wrote:
Quote:
But then I read Chas E. again- thought when you were in the hospital with your hand under your arm- you were going to get it caught there too! 2x's again

Not a chance....if you read again, all 6 barbs were buried in his hand! :shock

Whoa!! +Surprised they just didn't do the simple quick remedy- amputate-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:11pm - Mar 5,10 
Chas e Great story I would say that using extreme caution would be an understatement and I have not seen anyone try this first hand. The only time I have had buddy's or myself get hooked was in Canada 100's of miles away from any sort of medical help and in every case we had to push the hook through and cut the barb not a fun thing to have done.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:44pm - Mar 5,10 
Yes that's a great story. Having had a hook or two over the years I can relate. I've never tried the quick yank. Old style cut the hook and push it through fell out of favor as the length of the remaining hook and the bend of the inbedded hook and it's angle all too often get mis-estimated leaving a really messy situation that requires a sharp blade. One part of the problem most have experienced is cutting the hook which with your average on site tools (usually plier with a side cutter) squeezed by your buddy and especially when cutting a hardend hook is not pretty. No matter how you try your hand shakes when you squeeze hard. 2 years ago in Canada I pull out a new high quality long diagional cutter. My son takes a look "those new?" "yes" I tell him "with 24 guys on this trip someone is bound to bury a hook at least this will help" "you jinxed us" he says and goes back to fishing. Well I'm going to tell you it was the next cast but right after a 14" northern goes nuts as I'm getting him unhooked. One shallow one just pass the barb and one deep and of course he's flapping for all he's worth. The cutters worked great but "I told you so" hurt

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:44pm - Mar 5,10 
I 've also had a few hooks find there way threw my skin. And last year took one out of my dad using the string method. the one thing that always goes threw my head is what a hand doc told me when i cut my hand fixing a window. with all of his education he tells me u might get feeling back but THERE IS ALOT STUFF IN YER HAND WERE U CUT IT. well it's still numb years later. so anyway make sure the hook is just in the meat or fatty tissue before pulling :shock:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:25am - Mar 7,10 
Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a wuss and not one of you guys is gonna try some shade tree mechanic method of pulling a hook out of me. Step one, if there is a dumb fish flopping on one of the other hooks, I'm gonna crush his head with my free hand so he stops moving. Then I'm cutting the line from the lure. If I can function enough to reel in and stow any other rods I have out, fine, otherwise over the side they go and I'm heading to the hospital.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50am - Mar 7,10 
I'm pretty sure someone posted the same video last year--I remember The Makers Mark. Actually, this method works well when done properly, but there IS POTENTIAL for disaster! :help

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 10:57am - Mar 7,10 
Popeye wrote:
Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a wuss and not one of you guys is gonna try some shade tree mechanic method of pulling a hook out of me. Step one, if there is a dumb fish flopping on one of the other hooks, I'm gonna crush his head with my free hand so he stops moving. Then I'm cutting the line from the lure. If I can function enough to reel in and stow any other rods I have out, fine, otherwise over the side they go and I'm heading to the hospital.

Believe me, pops. If it happens again, there's a couple things that will done different, for sure! :lol:

Definitley one of the most PAINFUL things I've ever been through. :oops:

strobs wrote:
this method works well when done properly, but there IS POTENTIAL for disaster! :help

Agreed, but also depends on the style of hook, and where it's located. :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:29pm - Mar 22,10 
I am making all sorts of hissing and wincing just reading this story.
I once had a hook stuck in my leg, and they were trying so hard that the hook broke in half, but right before they had to "push it all the way through", it came out ...and thank goodness.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:20am - Apr 9,10 
As a Makers Mark Ambassador I fully endorse this thread!!. In fact am drinking MM right now.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:22am - Apr 9,10 
Hey good to see another MM IV ambassador on the site :D

Ignorance and Apathy, I don't know and I don't Care. W.C. Fields

Profile WWW  

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: