Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:57am - Aug 3,09 
I am tired of watching the bass tournaments on tv. Guys dressed like NASCAR drivers with logos all over them and with 300hp boats zipping from spot to spot and kissing their fish (ugh-ugh). Remember when the Bass Masters had a fishing derby in the Chicago land area and basically it died due to the small amount of fish caught (I will bet that they never come back). So,how about showing carp competitions since this species is growing and taking over our rivers (I know the Asian carp is a plant eater but the European species is present)and should be the Illinois' state fish. A carp competition will highlight the really big fish and show anglers how to catch them. I see whole new lines of fishing gear by the mfrs- a whole new market.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:55pm - Aug 3,09 
it is a growing market for sure!! I do alot of carpin!! the hot new thing is fly fishing for them. it is a whole new world!! I've been doing it for 3-4 years now. as a matter of fact a very reputable manufacturer (RIO) makes a specific fly line for carp. it even has a big picture of the golden bonefish himself on the box. carp are going mainstream!! there are lots of articles on them and in some places they are even offing guided trips for the lovely creatures. they are gaining respect even from the trout purest who give them a chance to stretch their line. most of these guys are seeing their backing for the first time since they put it on the reel!! good carpin to all how ever you enjoy them.

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:20am - Aug 4,09 
Hahaha. Golden bonefish. I always used the term Bugle Mouth Bass. Going after smallmouth, I will sometimes snag one with my ultralight and the fight is on and I want to at least get my Mepps back. Since I always practice catch and release, fighting one of these guys is great also (I just do not like the idea of snagging). Catching carp on a fly rod on the Duper (and there are some big ones)---neat. May I ask for the type of fly to try? I would think a nymph or maybe a bead head to get it underwater.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:55am - Aug 4,09 
chuck, most nymphs work well. at the top of the list for me is a clouser swimming nymph in a craw color. I tie alot of patterns that resemble crawfish, again in craw color. hex nymphs are good and I tie a tandem hex wiggler that is killer! I got alot of smallies on that fly this season on the K-3. the smallies could not resist it! pretty much any sub surface fly that you would use for smallies the carp will hit. I stay away from the "seed flies" and "corn flies" never caught a carp on any of them. they will hit surface flies now and then, but as a rule it is not very effective. black, brown and burned orange leech type patterns work well. stay away from flashy flies for carp, it tends to spook them. I will use a few strands of flash-a-bou in the tails of some flies just to catch their eye. just try to keep it to a minimum. I have litteraly hundreds of carp flies. I tie carp flies all winter. if I stopped tying today I could never use all the flies I have in a lifetime. but its my hobby and I tie everyday anyway. places like cabelas sell carp fly kits now with it getting to be so popular. I almost forgot one of the 'ole stand bys....a wooly bugger, it always good to have a few of those on hand. hope this helps. I'll help you out any way I can as I do my best to promote fly fishing for carp. wow, now I think I'll have to go throw a few flies this afternoon after all that talk!!

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:47pm - Aug 4,09 
Thanks for the help, Joe. I have caught 1-2 carp on a #8 bead head muddler-like fly with yellow rubber legs that I picked up at Bass Pro. An Autumn Bugger is what I think it is called. For my ultralight, I use a small split shot in front to get some weight for casting and I basically jig it along the bottom. The first time I caught a carp was last autumn and he did put up a sturggle with that bulldog style of fighting. On 4-6 pound line and a 4-1/2 foot rod, it is a workout and tests the gear as well. On a fly rod, the fish must really be a blast! Fly fishing on the Duper, he I come.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:14pm - Aug 4,09 
I've not fished the duper for carp, or anything else for that matter. I'd like to try it with my flyrod though. I'd like to target carp and smallies like I do on the K-3. I think thats the way to go because I use the same flies. I cast to rocks, stumps and things for smallies while on the lookout for carp. I sight fish for carp as I cover water. sometimes I dont see any tailing carp, those are the active feeders. I dont really blind cast for carp, its just not very productive like it is for smallies. this way I'm bound to catch something. I'm one of those guys that does care whats on the end of the line as long as its something pulling back

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:42pm - Aug 4,09 
The Duper does have a very big population of carp and I have seen a few really big specimens cruising along. Last time out (about 2 weeks ago), I had one big guy leap out of the water (does anybody know why they do that?) In the Dupage column, I mention snagging a carp (world record smallmouth) which lunged then leaped and threw my Mepps. So, you will not be bored. I fish the area around 75th street and Washington Blvd in Naperville and have seen some huge carp cruising in the downtown part of the river. Believe me, your fly will not go unoticed!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:16am - Aug 5,09 
sounds like a spot me and my flyrod need to check out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17pm - Aug 14,09 
Joe- if you hit the Ring Road area they are talking about, bring those damsel nymphs and craw clousers, they are absolute dynamite. Here is two "secret" duper carp (and smallie) flies. Try a dry damsel in the pool just before dusk along the shoreline for cloopers, and for the main stem- a clouser MINNOW. No joke. Fish it like a hex nymph and you'll be well rewarded. Don't forget the East Branch for carp, either. My biggest from there have been almost as big as the big lake's monsters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:40pm - Aug 15,09 
I'm planning a trip with a friend of mine to the duper. not sure excactly which stretch though.I'll be sure to try for a few carp. he has a 17' canoe that we are planning the attack from. I've never fished the duper before so I'm looking forward to it. he knows it pretty well so thats a plus. more than likely I'll flyfish only, 90% of my fishing this season has been with a flyrod. but I have flies for all occasions and all fish so Ill be pre pared for sure!!

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43pm - Aug 15,09 
I took my fly rod to the Duper, this morning, to practice since the river is low and clear. I was using a wooly bugger and picked off a few really small fish althought my goal was to get acquainted with my fly rod (a 9' Heddon Black Beauty circa 1959). My mind did wander to how much a fight those carp would give on the fly outfit. So, I am taking all your comments in on what flies to use and how to fish them. All info is really appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:41am - Aug 19,09 
Joe: I meant to ask you about presentation. While dusting off my fly fishing skills, I did see a few moderately sized carp in the pools and cast upstream to them (using the autumn bugger about a size #10)and they did not showany interest. If I was going for smallmouth, the more action the better but your comment about spooking leads me to believe that the lure should be inert.
Oh, the river is so low in the Naperville area that people floating those small rubber boats must portage them across long stretches where the river is little more than ankle deep. Hopefully, this week's rain may help the river.

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: