Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:10pm - May 18,09 
Been reading enough about the hair rigging technique,had to try it.Caught 3 on it.Typically,I usually tightline with a slip sinker setup,with whole kernel corn directly on the hook.Was pretty impressed with it as a whole.2 of the fish were hooked in the roof of the mouth,none hooked in the lips?Should I be using this method on a slack line,as opposed to tightlining it?Eventually had to abandon my area.Attracting too many turtles with the corn,hooking 1 big painted turtle,that came off the hook near shore.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39am - Jun 10,09 
jakesmith - I have been using a hair rig for awhile and make my own. Try using a circle hook, catches them in the mouth every time. Just remember you do not set the hook the same way. Use a swipping motion away from the direction the carp is moving. Most of the time they are hooked already. Try it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14pm - Jul 26,09 
I have always used a split shot and quality #6 hook with corn or crawlers until today. Tried a hair rig for the first time and will not be turning back.
Made a bait holder out of .010 diameter piano wire twisted into a spring using the tip of a long nose pliers, and attached that on the tag end of my leader snell. We were fishing in current at a Des Plaines river tributary and went 1 for 3. The ONE was about #15 and great fun on #8 test. Got the wire at a hobby shop for $.99 plus tax. The bait, Wheaties and strawberry Jello, had fish in our area tailing within 15 minutes! A little chum, a little on your hook and WHAM! Thanks for the tips!

waxworm53

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:59am - Jul 27,09 
I'm not 100percent sold on it either.At times,it does seem to have better hooking percentage ,than putting the bait,directly on the hook.Recently purchased an okuma avenger reel with a baitrunner feature.As I was 40 feet or so away from my rod yesterday,heard the clicker going,hooked up with a good one.Saved my combo once already!I've gotta try that wheaties thing,not the first time I've heard of it.Thanks for posting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51am - Jul 28,09 
IMO nothing beats corn on a hair rig. it is responsable for over 90% of the carp I've taken. it is ALWAYS my first choice. lately I've been biten by the flyrod bug, and it is now my favorite way to pursue carp. its the biggest challenge I've found for my flyrod, to me nothing else comes close!!

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34am - Jul 28,09 
Joe, what are some good fly's for carp ? been wanting to try some carp with the fly rod. Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:40am - Jul 28,09 
Bolio, I use alot of craw patterns and craw colors. a clouser swimming nymph in craw is hot. hex nymphs,damselfly nymphs and pretty much any nymph works well. I got a few that I designed specificly for carp. I'll try to pm you some pics it will be easier than trying to explain them to you. I live in the south burbs if you ever want to go. I do all I can to promote fly fishing for carp, I'd be glad to help you out any way I can. I tied up a few new secret weapons that look amazing in the water!! if you ever want to go I can supply the flies, I got lots and lots of them. I tie all winter for carp. its my favorite way to fish. they are a huge challenge. if work ever picks up I got my eye on a new carp flyrod set up. have you ever read the book "carp on the fly" by barry renyolds?? good stuff if you get the chance. its like my bible.

Joe

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: