Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:42am - Apr 1,09 
I'm still looking to catch my first carp on a fly rod.Tried some black wooley buggers,even led what appeared to be tailing,actively feeding carp,swam by without a look.I've been using my 6wt.rod with floating line?Most of the fish I target are in 3ft of water or less.I know these fish can be extra spookey,so I try to lead em with a soft cast.Maybe a sinking tip line may help?I've been very successful using corn or homemade baits,just looking for a new challenge!With so many people targeting bass,Sometimes I like to lay off em for awhile.This might be the Last Great Frontier,so many are too proud to admit to fishing for carp,not me!Thanks for any tips,I plan on putting in more effort on this.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - Apr 2,09 
try adding a small split shot or beed head to the head of the wooly bugger. They'll come up of of the bottom some times all the way to the surface if they see something they like, but most of the time you need to be on the botom.If that doesnt do it, match your bugger to the bottom color, tan, olive, gray, brown, or some mottled combo of theese. Just keep at them as water temps rise they'll get more active. when they start balling up to spawn, fish to the smaller groups that arent doing the deed, spawners wont eat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05am - Apr 2,09 
Thanks for the tips.Just checked out a site from the UK.The author also suggested using a very long 12-15 ft.flourocarbon leader,to keep the flyline as far from these wary fish as possible.Makes sense,just sounds a little difficult to turn the fly over though!Read stories of these fish taking flyline and backing all the way off the reel,can,t wait for the waters to warm and clear up,I'm not quitting till I figure this out.Thanks again,keep those tips coming!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:36pm - Apr 2,09 
I am on the same mission and can't wait to get out. There are few things you can do. There are corn flies (really) http://www.yagersflies.com/racacoclcafl.html or http://www.carponfly.com/-PRODUCTIVE-CARP-FLIES you can chum the area and come back with the artificial corn. There is also a fly called "Carp Tease" that I know Bass Pro sells. Get a number #8.

A few more tips

#1 .Try to cast 1 to 2 feet in front of them and do a slow retrieve.
#2. If they since danger they don't eat. So in some cases you if you throw a bad cast you have a %50 percent of getting them on the next cast. The %50 on top of that on the 3rd etc. If that is the case, rest and come back later.
#3. Try going after them while it is raining. They are not as spooked.
#4. Rub you fly in the mud or algae from THAT pond. They are sensitive to smell as well and this can give you an advantange.

Lastly look up post by mississippipunk he seems to know his stuff with fly fishing and carp.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:42pm - Apr 2,09 
Yeah I had the idea of chumming a spot first with corn,then trying some yellow yarn,maybe even dipping it in the corn juice?Might take a little fun out of it though.How about total stealth,camo like a turkey hunter,sneak up on em,then wham! :shock:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:06am - Apr 3,09 
Carp can snap leaders and spool you like no tomorrow. So if you are DYING to get one under your belt and practice reeling something that strong in what is the big deal to chum? It is a Confidence booster a best. Also once they get on try using your palm to "slow" stop the spooling. The drag can break on your reel, especially a spring drag or inexpensive one. Like mine.

But yes, ninja like approach works best.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - May 10,09 
fly fishing for carp is as good as fly fishing gets in freshwater. it takes up 80% of my fly fishin time!! its not easy, dont be fooled. the last 3-4 years I've gone nuts with it. I tie flies all winter for carp!! google it and do some research on it and you'll see how big its getting. alot of guys are starting to see what they have been missing out on for many years. I'm heading to the K-3 today and will probably target carp at some point with my flyrod if I can find some active fish. good carpin to all!!

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:11am - May 10,09 
oh yeah as far as reels go, I use quality large arbor reels with good drags not just a cheap clicker!! they WILL tear them up!! I have 4 flyrods set up for carp. they all have plenty of backing too. I'll need it for the carp on the big pond that are in the 30lbs+ range. they range from 5wt which is as light as I'll go, up to a 9wt that doubles as my pike flyrod. dont cheat yourself, get out there and chase'em with a flyrod they will not disappoint!!

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50am - May 13,09 
JoeFly wrote:
oh yeah as far as reels go, I use quality large arbor reels with good drags not just a cheap clicker!! they WILL tear them up!! I have 4 flyrods set up for carp. they all have plenty of backing too. I'll need it for the carp on the big pond that are in the 30lbs+ range. they range from 5wt which is as light as I'll go, up to a 9wt that doubles as my pike flyrod. dont cheat yourself, get out there and chase'em with a flyrod they will not disappoint!!

Joe

Joe-

Any suggestions as to how much line/backing one should have?

Thanks.

Greg

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:30pm - May 13,09 
it depends on the reel. it should say how much backing it will hold. I have 2 cabelas SLA's (super large arbor), a #1 for my 3wt, a#2 for my 5wt. my 2 has close to 200yds of backing . I also have a SL3 on another 8wt that probably has more. you can get crazy and use that gel spun backing, it has a smaller diameter and you can get almost twice as much backing but its pricey stuff. I dont think you need it unless your gonna do any saltwater fishin. I jammed as much backing on my 3wt as I could cause I'm gonna get ballzy this year and try to get a carp on my 3wt!! I got a spot to try it where it is wide open and I can let'em run. I know I will have no way to control the fish with a little 3wt, but it should be fun!! I'll probably be running up and down the shore and at some point will probably end up in the water too. :lol:

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:46pm - May 13,09 
and before anyone asks, as far as flies I use wieghted nymphs and craw patterns thrown to tailing fish. they are active feeders and you have the best chance of hooking those guys. sunning fish and cruzers are temping to throw at but 99% of the time are not willing to feed. I know they look like easy pickins but they are not. of coarse I cant resist trying, but its usually frustrating. there is a good book called carp on the fly by barry renyolds that says that very thing. for the past 3-4 years fly fishing for carp has become a obcession of mine and takes up most of my fly fishing time. I've done alot of research on these fish and the more I learn the more I realize what a amazing fish they are. I spend all winter tying flies for carp and researching them. dave whitlock, a fly fishing icon said fly fishing for carp is the last frontier we as fly fisherman have. it is a practically untounched resourse. that says alot coming from him!!

Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34pm - Jun 1,09 
Greetings from beautiful Highlands Ranch, CO! I just happened to be surfing the net due to the recent blow outs on the rivers. No, I haven't moved, but visiting relatives. I don't have da internet at the hizzouse, so I do not get on here all that often. Here are a few tips that can get you started.

Chum if you must, it can get your confidence up. However, do not rely on this, as it will only be a crutch.
Forget all flies that look like vegetation- it is unnecessary as well as pointless. No movement means no hook-up. Even all the grass carp I have taken were on a clouser swimming nymph or damsel fly nymph, not some mulberry seed or corn fly.
Muddy water is better than clear for starters, and the rain tip from Joe or Twade (I can't remember which, sorry) is brilliant! The rain will help hide your foot steps. I never even thought of that.
Use a 3X or 2X tippet. It will help turn over the fly on your casts.
Don't cast to cruising carp (again, kudos to Twade or Joe), they will almost NEVER feed. Look for those carp which are tail up, or for the mud clouds caused by feeding carp.
Finally, think crawfish, crawfish, crawfish. It is the food of choice.

Good luck! Carp are fast surpassing steelhead now on my favorite fish. Land a few, and I am sure they will be on your short list as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:19pm - Jun 2,09 
punk, the rain tip and not casting to cruzers was from me. your comment on the crawfish is right on! they love them!! most people dont know they have molars in the back of their mouths to crush them. most of the patterns I throw to them are crawfish or something that can imitate craws, like a craw colored swimming nymph. they are without a doubt my favorite target with a flyrod. I do more carp flyfishing than anything else. I stummbled onto flyfishing for carp about 4 years ago and thought I struck gold!! it is growing in popularity like crazy. I read a article that said on lake st. clair it is quickly becoming the most requested guided trip!! that says alot. even some of the sports most eliete trout fisherman are giving the golden ghost a chance to stretch their line. guys like dave whitlock have written articles and even designed flies for carp. I think it was dave that said fly fishing for carp is the last frontier that we as flyfisherman have. I do my best to promote it and have started a website dedicated to it. it is still in its infant stages and I need pics and more content, but atleast I got the ball rolling.

punk, where do you live? we should hook up sometime and go chase 'em. I'm in the south burbs, but will travel for carp. I'm thinking maybe the dunes area on the ind. side of the big lake???? let me know if you are interested. maybe we can share Ideas for patterns?? I got a few good craw imitations.

good carpin to all
Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:07pm - Jun 2,09 
Joe I'm down the Orland way, so we will definitely hook up. I'll hit you with a PM on photo's and some WICKED carp locales down our way. If you want an super easy quick craw imitation, try this one. It will take smallies, L.M. as well as monster carp.

Punk'd Charlie
Hook: Tiemco 811S size 6
Thread: rusty brown or orange
Eyes: medium red lead eyes
Body: medium brown v-rib
Wing: rusty brown or or orange calf tail with three strands of peacock krystal flash

I don't have a pic here, but google a Crazy Charlie, and you'll get the idea (basically a Clouser minnow without the underwing).

Board index » Species Specific » Fishing Odds and Ends
Jump to: