Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 09:56pm - Apr 3,05 
Was able to get out yesterday. We launched from Bob's Marina at about 9am. I was amazed to find out we were the only ones there. :shock:
Not so when we returned. I guess everyone got a late start today.

We started in Channel lake and quickly picked up 4 Crappie but smaller than expected, About 8-9 inches. Things got slow so we decided to head down near CJ's where we were to meet PondProwler. We fished many of the normal areas from Bluff to Spring lake with no luck, not even a bite. We then moved to Ackermans channel and fished at the bridge and the narrows, no luck. Pond (and Miss Pond) found us in the channel and after discussing our options, we all decided to head back up to the Channel Lake area. I must say the Prowler did a nice job picking out his new Lund.
:congrats

Water level is still about 1 foot down but no problems getting around. The sun was out most of the day but the wind did kick up making boat control a real pain. When we got back to Channel Lake, the crappie started cooperating and we caught close to 50 but still no slabs. 12-13 inchers are not uncommon this time of the year but all we could manage was a few a bit over 10 inches. Pond was able to get his first fish with the new boat. Not a big crappie but a fish is a FISH!!!

Most all bites came close to shore (2-3 fow) using small fatheads under slip bobbers. I did try a white twister tail which will usually make them hungry but no takers today. The wind made it hard to control the cast and retrieve speed.

Here's Ted's collection for the day.

The bite was very light at times and even though the bobbber would go down for two or three seconds, all you would get back at times was a missing minnow.

Here's ten more that we kept.

The numbers made for a exciting day but the lack of size was frustrating. Those 12-13 inch females are just not in with the smaller males yet. Water temp's were in the low to mid 40's in the main lake areas and almost 50 degrees in the channels. I would think the next couple of weeks should get better. I did feel pretty good after cleaning them to find out that only two were females.

Thanks for meeting us out there Pond. It was nice meeting you both, We'll have to do it again soon and congrat's on the new boat, it's a keeper.

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Location: SW Florida, Smokercraft 192 Ultima,115 4 stroke Mercury.

Post Posted: 05:42am - Apr 4,05 
Man, sorry I had to work and couldnt make it out there with you guys. JD, nice report and Pics... Pond, Killer boat I have to say! :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:30am - Apr 4,05 
Nice report! I got for a few hours on Spring saturday with no luck at all. I am glad to see someone got some spring crappie! It's only going to get better for us 8) Good looking Lund by the way.

Chitown-Angler

Location: South Elgin, IL :: 04' Blue 1700 Lund Explorer, 115 4-stroke Yammie

Post Posted: 06:35am - Apr 4,05 
Thanks Guys!

Man, I've been saving for that thing for a loooooooonnnnnngggg time!
Nice to set a goal and finally reach it! The boat was an absolute pipe dream and it happened. :wink:

Thanks again JD for allowing us to tag along! We'll have to do that again, soon...

I'll work on my hooksets in the meantime! :roll:
Pond

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:50am - Apr 4,05 
Nice job guys.
Wish I coulda made it out, I was shot after my trip to Depere and motivation was lacking to get my arse out the door Saturday.
Maybe this weekend...
Great looking boat and best of luck baggin a gobbler this weekend, Pond!

John

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: