Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Jul 12,15 
So my buddy, my wife's 18 year old cousin hit the chain this weekend with the weather patterns as of late we were not expecting much. Saturday July 11th morning we managed to raise a 17.5 inch walleye, a 16 inch walleye and a 15.5 inch walleye using jig and minnows caught the walleye all within the hour. Also managed a 12 inch white bass all within the same hour. Went dead for a while, went back home and cleaned the eyeballs for my wife's cousin who has never eaten a walleye. Lunch was delicious. Wife's younger cousin agreed walleye is delicious and would eat it all day if he could (yes so can I pal!!). After the junior feller left, my buddy and I see the overcast and say you know what I think we should rest up for the evening bite (boy was he right!). So after a few hours of napping and resting up. We headed out to Pistakee, hit our spot around 630 pm and get setup jigging for more walters. I put on an orange jig and minnow, my buddy put on a lindy ice fishing jig and minnow (it had some sort of orange and gold glitter and fluttered all the way to the floor beautifully). I said man using Ice jigs in JULY WOW that is a first I have never thought of that. So after the first cast I am stripped of my offering. I head back to the minnow bucket and before I even stick my hand in to grab another... buddy is yelling GET THE NET WE ARE GONNA NEED THE NET!!. His second cast by the way and he is screaming for the net, we both hear his drag after setting the hook and man this thing is peeling line and it heads back towards the boat and wraps his fishing line around our anchor line and we are wondering how we are going to keep this beast and untangle. SO QUICKLY my buddy reacts puts the pole under the anchor line (St. Croix Rage Medium light 6ft 8") says hold this unwraps it all and I had the rod back at this point the fish has spooled half of his 14lb nanofil we had setup. The DRAG IS STILL SCREAMING. I tell him give your drag a little crank to tighten it (yes his drag was set up perfectly mid way before hand still screaming). He continues to battle the beast as we wait hoping it does not slip away or something happens with the equipment. He says "I finally can make some headway and starts to crank away!" We can see it is getting closer and we are like two little kids waiting to see what kind of beast he has hooked into (we both are saying big kitty? Big eye?). He gets her up and close I reach in with the net as soon as we saw her as she was tired after the 10 minute battle. I started screaming like John Gillespie "HOLY $#&^$^#@&# ITS A MUSKIE ITS A MUSKY PETE!!!". Now Pete has always wanted to catch one in Canada and even just around, this is what we have dreamed of our whole fishing life. YES it is on the deck of the boat as we calm her down I get the measurement. Jig popped loose as soon as we put her on the deck (not sure how much his little ice jig would have held on if she decided to run again). Measurement was a 47 inch muskie, amazing absolutely amazing. I pick her up and I handed him his trophy, after a few pictures she went back in safe and sound.

He is thinking about getting a replica (yea and it was his first ever muskie, I have caught one before but it was a fingerling and only 9i nches long! haha). Does anyone have any suggestions on where we can send the photo and some measurements for a replica?? We are south siders so somewhere close would be good. We looked up Bass Pro and Cabelas, Bass pro does them for about $12 an inch. Did not see muskie as one to select for cabelas nor did we see pricing. Any and all reccomendations are welcome for the mount. I figure some one on here has to know a job well done without having to pay an arm and a leg for it. Please let me know of any good places I could recommend to him for the mount

Enjoy the pictures

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:58pm - Jul 12,15 
Nice! Love me some fried eyeballs!

Marty does nice work. Tell him Choup sent you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:01pm - Jul 12,15 
:gpost congrats! This weathers been good for pike and muskie. I had a great weekend for pike near the chain.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:03am - Jul 13,15 
man what a beast! been cut off way to many times fishing crappies there and that is the reason why!! Big,big, toothies roaming out there feeding on them papermouths. great fish brother and was so glad to hear you CPR'd her. have a great respect for the guys who choose to replica mount!
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:43am - Jul 13,15 
Nice to see someone catching nice fish in the Chain. Congrats!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:42am - Jul 13,15 
Good job out there! Pistakee is my favorite lake on the Chain, great fishery.

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:32pm - Jul 13,15 
Awesome!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:26pm - Aug 11,15 
Awesome fish. Awesome story.

- Joe

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: