Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00am - Nov 8,04 
Hey Everybody-

Well, Veronica and I went in with high hopes- you always like days when you can slip the boat in the water in November! We put in at 5:30AM at Bob's Marina- headed over to the Thirsty Turtle where the HQ's was. Water temp at 44-45 degrees, moderate WSW winds. 64 teams I think total- we drew #38, start time 7AM. We hit our first spot- very close to the Turtle and was surprised no one was there. Threw Suicks, Jakes and Believers with nobody home. That spot only takes 10-15 minutes so we packed it up and ran to Bluff Lake. Fished Bluff with an assortment of lumber and cranks and I even threw a bucktail for a bit- concentrated on the 8-14' area at weed edges. Nada. Left there- went to Petite- fished gravel and weeds on Petite for about 60 minutes- nada. Trolled Petite for about 45 minutes- nada (getting the picture?). We ended up working back up to Marie where we trolled for an hour with no dice again. Went up to Channel again at 1PM- finished there and on Catherine. Worked from 3 feet to 30' ended up throwing 1.5 oz jigs with trailer tail- nothing doing. We didn't move a single fish in 9 hours but I give that half-pint of a wife of mine credit I'll tell ya. Stood there and matched me cast for cast- idea for idea for 9 straight hours- I'm lucky to reach over and kiss my tournament partner once in awhile on the water 8) . But- we weren't alone in the no-fish department. 5 fish caught total. Winning team Joe Mellott and Jim Edwards had 2 fish- and lost a couple more! Their plan? Trolling at high speed along the weed breaks and it worked for 'em. Good job to both- nice guys and good fishermen indeed. Everyone had fun and it was a beautiful day- too nice by almost everyone's consensus. We'll be fishing the Iron-Man on Okauchee this coming Saturday and hope to move a fish or two there! Let ya know how it comes out after it's over. Anyone wanting to enter- contact me- there's still openings. Friday night mandatory meeting at Jollymon's cove in Okauchee- Tournament Saturday 11/13. Talk at you all later-

Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:16am - Nov 9,04 
At least you gave it a shot Todd. Those trollers on the chain are unbelievable. Who woulda thunk it to produced this late in the year?
Sources say NE bay on Bluff is hot.
I'd like some info on Okauchee tourneys, if you get around to it.

John

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:21pm - Nov 9,04 
Hey John-

Yeah- we look at it that way too. We were there- we tried- we learned a few new things and maybe most importantly, when you fish that hard with that much concentration for 9 hours- you learn some interesting things. For instance- I never appreciated how big the weed bed at the east end of Petite really is. By fishing it very carefully and picking our way along the edge- we really got a good handle on that piece of cover and I'll fish that entire area differently from now on. Further- we fished an area on Catherine that I've fished before but never with that same type of care- and learned alot about that particular spot too. Funny- you fish these lakes every year- 10-15-20 times a year- and it's not until tournament time that you really buckle down and pick apart a piece of structure. I've added comments to my journal already for those locations. Good instructional day if nothing else. For the IMTT, there's a pre-meeting at 7PM at Jollymon's cove in Okauchee on Friday night. We stay up there as it's a bit far for us to go, come back and go back again. Call me at 847-922-1271 and I'll give you the details, or you can go call Dan Johnson to register at (414) 406-7557 (mobile #) and he'll get you signed in. It's a fun tourney- should be 50 boats or so- diehards all- and while I don't think Okauchee is a numbers fishery- it is a good big fish fishery. I've consistently seen some high 40's to 50" fish in the system- not bad for a 2500 acre lake.

Tight lines all- and oh yeah- waterfowled on the Fox this morning- absolutely nothing flying. Blind partners took a shot at an errant susie this morning but I looked her to be at 70+ and said nah- ain't wastin' the ammo! No wind, high skies, no pressure anywhere on the river and thus- no ducks moving. Next time! Gunner had fun though- enjoyed the day out as he always does- anywhere but in the kennel!

-Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: