Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Jun 18,14 
got out early trying to get a hunt in before the storms this afternoon we were on the water before 6. missed a few and landed a few but just 3 species today. right off the bat after trolling for about 20 min we get a monster hit and pedro and Shamus ( his first boat trip)jump for the rod and pedro won :rotflmao i grab shamus and the fight is on! i pulled a couple rods but didn't get the net right away thinking that the odds its a muskie were way against me because we boated 2 on the same day last week. boy was i wrong! i get a glimpse over Pedro's shoulder a quick flash and i know its a good fish. Pedro is putting the mussel on it and gets it to the surface and its a MUSKIE can you believe it? guys fish for these all their lives and never get one. its been refereed to the fish of 10,000 casts and were on our fourth one this season.I get the net but he looks green-takes a turn and just gives up. i scoop him up and into the boat and the pups going wild. we get the hook out and a few picks take a measure and its a 35". we resituate it let it go but its having a hard time so we circle back to it and its swimming on its own just slow. it really takes a lot out of these fish when you use a net on them so we wait a little bit till im sure he ok. im going to invest in a cradle today because i could be landing these fish wrong and i love catching them and don't want to hurt them. i read on how to, but maybe i missed something. maybe one of our musky elite might give us some instruction on this. im also going to purchase a cloth tape measure so i can measure them with out taking them from the water,seems like the best way. unless it big or someones first i don't think i'll be taking them out of the water for quick picks anymore! thought i lost that one today. anyway we ended up quitting after 11AM lighting chased me away. pedro had fish for a good meal or so and the pup did great his first time out. the muskie made the day glorious. big congats on #2 Pedro keep them comimg.
DD

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 05:44pm - Jun 18,14 
Denny,

Here's some pretty basic info for you:

1. A net is not hard on a fish.

2. A net that is not designed for muskie is. I.E.. A small non treated bag.

3.You should never work on the fish in the boat. Remove hooks while the fish is still in the net, and still in the water.

4. Have proper release tools with you at all times. I.E.. Quality hook cutters, long needle nose pliers, and jaw spreaders.

5. Using proper rated rods and line to cut down the fight time, which helps stop the fish from building up latic acid in their muscle tissue, which leads to delayed mortality.

6. Try not to hold the fish vertical for a measurement. There are a couple companys that sell good bump boards. Here's an example: http://www.tstackle.com/Bump%20Boards/w ... ure%20fish

These are just a few tips for you. If you're actually truly targeting muskies, and not accidently running across a few here and there, then these things would be important.

I have no Idea what type of equipment you're running, or types of baits you're using, but I would guess from the sound of your report, that they're are on the smaller size? Possibly fish taking small cranks to deep, where cutting hooks would be better then just "ripping" hooks out? Of course this is nothing more then just speculation from reading your tale.

Anyway, I'm no expert, just someone who enjoys fishing for them.

Congrats Pedro on the fish! Sounds like the bug has bit you.

Chas

Last edited by Chas E. on 06:10pm - Jun 18,14, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:01pm - Jun 18,14 
What a way to start the morning first fish on turns out to be a Ski and my second in just over a week. Weather seemed perfect for a great day on the water even Shamus was having a blast with all the birds flying round after the Musky we picked at a few White Bass even having a quadruple at one time unfortunately the weather turned on us and after seeing some lightning close by decided to call it a day. Sure was nice to be back home early this time.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:43pm - Jun 18,14 
Contrasts on the fish, and good looking pup!! It's good to be concerned about proper handling of fish to be released..the only things I can add to what Chas suggested is to skip measuring and other handling if the fish is already stressed from a long fight. Also, instead of pinching the gills, try holding under the gill plate while supporting the belly. Another rule of thumb is once you take the fish out of the water, hold your breath. Once you need to take a breath, so does the fish.

Keep at it and stick a pig!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:41am - Jun 19,14 
thanks Chase and Tiny! the only thing that i see im doing wrong is landing the fish completly played and taking it out of the water. i have a good treated net that is really deep and rubberized, jaw spreaders,long nose pliers and hook cutters and when i got home yesterday i did purchase a cradle,tape,and bocca grips.the lines im using are 50 and 30# braid. the lures are on the small side and i do cut the hooks when needed. the targeted species im fishing is all toothies the pattern im fishing just produces a multi species bite. the lures are a easy hook replacement and the rods im fishing are 8.5' and 9.5' MH's. all the other rods are good quality 7'med. so im set to handle them equipment wise. Tiny we have been using gill pressure to subdue them for pics but in the future i will use the bocca grips with the belly properly supported. im sure armed with the info you guys gave me my future releases will go alot better! thanks again for the info.
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04am - Jun 19,14 
Very nice boys!. I'd add that when you're using the tape, try to lay the fish on a wet plastic or metal (non-carpet) surface to try and reduce the removal of the fish's slime. If you can keep the fish in the net/water and use the tape that would be best for the fish, then you can take the fish out of the water for pictures, limiting the time the fish is out of the water. If you do need to take the fish out to measure, you can always put the fish back in the net to let it breathe before taking pictures.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16am - Jun 19,14 
Congrats on some successful outings!

All good info/recommendations. I'd also like to add that as the water temps rise (resulting in less dissolved oxygen), it becomes even more critical to minimize stress on the fish. Many guys will quit fishing for them during the peak summer months due to increased delayed mortality. Should be all good right now, but once water temps get into mid/upper 70's the fish really become stressed from the fight and often do not release well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18am - Jun 19,14 
I guess the secret is bring a lab with

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:20am - Jun 19,14 
Big Jeff wrote:

GERMAN SHORTHAIR POINTER :respect
DD

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:31am - Jun 19,14 
DOUBLE D wrote:
Big Jeff wrote:

GERMAN SHORTHAIR POINTER :respect
DD

Nice Ski Pedro..Darn doctors appointment! :doh ! Still thank you for the invite Denny...

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:56pm - Jun 19,14 
Nice job! u da man on the chain. Congrats Pedro.
FM

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: