Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 10:35pm - Aug 9,04 
Another nice afternoon on the chain. Launched at Barnacle Bob's about 2pm and headed down to Indian point (Ackerman Bridge). Brought large fatheads, crawlers and leeches as to offer all and see whats hot. First cast with a homemade spinner rig with a fathead gets a nice 16 1/2 catfish. Actually I was hoping for a walleye but love to catch channel cats as well. The wife picked up two drum both small, one 8 inch gill and one 6 inch perch all on crawlers under a slip bobber. Then a walleye, just as I was finishing my retrieve, Bang!! right at the side of the boat. Felt real good until I yanked him from the water to measure a 14 incher. Oh well, still a walleye. The wife picked up two more small bass then all shut down. We marked lots of good size fish at and under the bridge and tried all three live baits, twister tails, and small raps to trigger a bite from these guys but not one would take the bait. They were tightly groups about two foot off the bottom but don't know what they were. We then headed to the north end of Channel lake where my wife caught a nice 151/2 inch Largemouth and a few more gills at which time we called it a night and headed in.

I don't usually keep Bass but my wife has never tasted one so this 15 incher will make a good meal for her. Maria is from the Philippnes where there is no such thing as catch and release so our way of selective harvest and C&R is new to her. I'm not a bass lover and I think once she tastes this one, she'll stick with the panfish, walleyes and cats. So don't worry Bass Guy's, after this one, there all going back in the drink.

Still bug's me about the schooling under that bridge??? Can't figure out what they were. If they were Crappie or White bass, one would think they would have hit on something. Any Idea's????

..... Hopefully, I'll find them again and figure out the secret.

FISH TIL YA DROP !!!!!!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:32pm - Aug 9,04 
I've said it before & now I'm saying it again...
I don't know why people put these fish on such a pedistal that it's taboo to even keep a single fish...You purchased a license just like most of us have..You stick to the rules just like most of us do...You have every right to keep fish for table fare if you so choose...There's absolutely no reason for you or anyone to feel that they have to explain their reason's why they choose to or not choose to keep legaly caught fish...

P.S. As for those fish that wouldn't fish...
Just look @ my Avatar...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:31am - Aug 10,04 
My wife loves largemouth and prefers them when pull through the ice. She says they have a white flaky meat and taste like thicker crappie so I get her a couple a year when I ice fish so you need to be prepared for the wife to tell you mmmmm these are tasty. :wink:

And your bridge fish, I almost always keep waxies in the boat when I fished the chain; it was my go to bait when all else failed.

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 08:20pm - Aug 10,04 
Thanks guy's, I also support those who choose to keep legally caught fish for their own purpose. I just know how passionate some of the C&R guys are. I also realize that one hand should wash the other. I think that protecting every specie from being wasted or overharvested will only continue to improve our fishery. :wink:

Marc, funny you should bring that up, I had some waxies at home and didn't bring them. :roll: :doh

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:15am - Aug 11,04 
I just love the taste of those 5lb to 9lb largemouth.
They're just perfect for making imitation crab cakes and green fish tacos. :shock:

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 03:46pm - Aug 11,04 
Thanks for the tip AnyLuc, have to try it as soon as I catch that 9 pounder. :lol:

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: