Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:21pm - Aug 16,10 
1. Bring enough bait.
2. Don't leave fish to go find fish.

Wife and I were camping at the Chain O Lakes State Park and decided to try some fishing for a change. Only had a couple dozen minnows and we started in the channels and under bridges. Boated Countless White Bass (10 keepers) 5 Crappie (kept 2) and 3 Eyes (2 too small and 1 was 21") so no keepers. Went to get more minnows and then shot over to try Beer Can Bridge but the current and wind made boat control with my 12VDC trolling motor too difficult. Went back to were we started but the fish thought we abandoned them and were only able to boat 4 more little throwback White Bass. Went to the State Park to get some ice for the fish and to try trolling upstream from the State Park. Upstream troll was a bust but marked a few fish in one of the bends North of the park. Switched to jigs and minnows but again the under powered trolling motor made that difficult at best and was putting a damper on the wife's outlook. Said we would troll downstream and then pull lines and go get some Sand Bar pizza. A minute after I set the 2 lines, fish on. Handed the rod to my wife and took the boat out of gear and got the net. 4 pound Channel Cat took a Perch colored Hot N Tot. Released the Cat and went for Pizza. It's good, but a large thin crust was way too much for us two to eat. Took the left overs back and for dinner I warmed it up on the camp fire. Kinda liked that better as the crust was crispy. Brought the camera but only took a couple pictures of my wife driving my boat and the pizza on the grill. Never even thought to get it out for fish pictures as my main concern was to get them back in the water as quickly as possible.

I got to spend some time on the water, my wife had a good time and the camping trip was pretty fun for both of us. Great weekend, broken rules and all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:28pm - Aug 16,10 
sounds like you had a great weekend. weather did turn out to be nice. fish seemed to cooperate too!!!

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30pm - Aug 16,10 
Good post Popeye! Maybe the fish went for pizza as well. :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:42pm - Aug 16,10 
Way to go Popeye, :gpost :fisch

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:01pm - Aug 17,10 
Good Post! Pizza over the camp fire sounds like a good Idea I will have to give that a try sometime

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:17pm - Aug 17,10 
I forgot about the LM Bass too. Picked up a Large Mouth Bass in the River too when we were jigging in the bend. The minnow I was using was just large enough that the little guy couldn't even get the jig hook in it's mouth. Swallowed the minnow right up to the bend in the hook and I had to pull him off because he didn't want to let go. Sort of a funny sight seeing a 3" LM Bass holding on for dear life to a 1.5" minnow.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:21pm - Aug 17,10 
Popeye wrote:
I forgot about the LM Bass too. Picked up a Large Mouth Bass in the River too when we were jigging in the bend. The minnow I was using was just large enough that the little guy couldn't even get the jig hook in it's mouth. Swallowed the minnow right up to the bend in the hook and I had to pull him off because he didn't want to let go. Sort of a funny sight seeing a 3" LM Bass holding on for dear life to a 1.5" minnow.

Think of it this way Frank, it would be like you eating a 3 foot Hot Dog! :lol: I guess even 3 inch Bass need their big meal. Good to see that you and Mrs Popeye had a good weekend.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:16pm - Aug 20,10 
Not enough bait, been there done it. Big mistake. Moving to find more fish, worked out both ways. Some time, found less, some time much more. You just never know.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:11pm - Aug 21,10 
we've been making frozen Pizzas on the Weber lately. They turn out great, especially the self rising ones.
You just have to keep an eye on 'em.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:18pm - Aug 21,10 
GETDANET1 wrote:
we've been making frozen Pizzas on the Weber lately. They turn out great, especially the self rising ones.
You just have to keep an eye on 'em.

Com'on GDN, how can you freeze pizza on the grill? Grills are hot! :lol:

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: