Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:26am - Apr 7,04 
Hey Everybody-
Joined on the boat on Tuesday by Steve from Barrington who's dedicating his season to catching his first musky. At 53 years old he figures he's caught about every other cool and cold water species in our region and wants a musky so the search and the lessons began yesterday. Started down on Petite at 2PM in 49 degree water, 68 degree air temps- threw some small bucktails, a jerk bait and a big piece 'o slow movin' plastic in tight areas, open areas, weed areas, drop-off areas- no looks. Did find some 50 "flirting with 51" degree water in one of the channels but it's still cold. Took a break after a couple hours to regain perspective :lol: and went to Bluff. Put the big sticks down, picked up the light gear and did well on pannies. (nothing like going from one extreme to the other!!) Caught some real nice gills and a few hefty crappies up to 10.5"- lost a fish about 12" at boatside- 2# line, ice jigs, spikes and oh-so-sensitive wavebuster floats. Very light bites and right next to the wood as always this time of year. As sun waned about 6PM- the bite stopped abruptly. Got serious again- down go the little sticks- up come the big guns. Ran to Channel, fished 2 of my favorite early spots there (water 47 degrees up there) but no weed-growth yet- everything still brown. Worked the west and north sides til 7PM- then ran to Catherine- worked Trevor creek and the east end til civil twilight and nada! No looks, no swirls, no come-out-to-play girls :( . Recovered the boat at 8:15PM. Steve had fun though- learned a bunch of the basics and presentations and specifics and will be that much more ready for the next outing. I explained to him that this part of the fishing game is a learning and building experience and that through these outings- he'll be ready when it happens and that the next 30 days could very well produce his first Esox. Will keep you informed with pics and stories when it happens. And by the way... okay God- enough funny business- how about some extended spring weather instead of all these teasers? Never put my jacket on yesterday on the water- just a gorgeous afternoon to fish. Then I heard this morning the high for Easter Sunday up north here is going to be 38 degrees. Hi Ho... Keep the longies handy for awhile yet. Tight lines all-
Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:42am - Apr 7,04 
Are you usually getting Musky this early in the year?

Thanks for the report Todd.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:55am - Apr 7,04 
Hey Tom-

Thanks for the reply. The magic number for water temps the past couple years seems to be 50. That's when you see activity pick-up. Not "blow your mind- eat with abandon activity" but activity that's worth chasing for a few hours anyway. It's odd because the feed doesn't equal-out in the fall versus spring seasons. The fall sees these fish bulking up for winter- binge eating if you will in water temps down into the low 40's and high 30's even. Springtime with commensurate water temps (higher in fact) doesn't equate out to the same feeding. However- the spawn is rigorous for these fish- they eat up lots of energy and more body fat but I guess when a young man's thoughts turn to love....... you know the rest. Anyway- that's kind of a complicated answer to your question. No- the fish don't feed as heavily in spring as they do in fall (based on my experience anyway), but- they do have to eat and I fully intend to be around when they get the munchies. Stay tuned- we'll keep giving reports.

Tight lines! *(& How's that Pup?! Pictures man- we want more pictures!)

-Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: