Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23am - Oct 23,03 
Hello all,

I know its early still but soon enough we'll be out there drilling holes and sitting on buckets in pursut of the fish. I normally icefish Long Lake which connects to the chain by Squaw creek. I always do good catching large numbers of perch of decent size but this year I would like to try for some Walley out on the chain. Does anybody know of good lakes to try at first ice and where to fish those lakes? I would also like bait recommendations as well. Hopefully someone will chim as I'm getting my gear ready know.

Thanks,
jay

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:18am - Oct 23,03 
Marie has one good point on it that produces fish (number 1) and right across the lake on the other side there is a ledge (number 2) that has been good to us during early ice.
Both are more well defined then the map shows but it will give you a good idea of the general location.

As always I'm a fan of med roachs or extra large fathead minnows.

I will try to get up all the lake maps before winter to help everyone out.

Also, there is a good point in between channel and catherine but I need to find a map to mark it for you.

Hope this helps.

<center>Image</center>

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:48am - Oct 23,03 
Thanks for that great information, I'm now so much more exctied about the season. From looking at the map I can see where the the drops occure. Should I be starting off in the shallows or on the drop itself? I have had luck before will using flags to only set them a few feet below the ice. I don't have any experience fishing walley though, will the same rigging be as effective? Are these same areas good panfish waters as well? This way I can rig the tip ups and fish for panfish as well.

Thanks once again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:40pm - Oct 23,03 
fishmanj wrote:
Should I be starting off in the shallows or on the drop itself?

Yes... :lol:

If you have two I would run one shallow and the other on the drop, then I would jig with my third legal line.

I have never used a tipup for panfish but I guess it's possible.

Also, I have caught panfish and walleye in the same general area on Marie but that's only because you have a good varity of water depth in such a same area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:40am - Nov 3,03 
Dead End Point (#1 on the map) is a great drop off for eyes.
The main channel is located just north of the point and the main basin is a stone throw away from there. Amazing how it can drop from 5 to 38ft. in such a short distance.
I don't know if it would be a good place for early ice considering you have to walk a huge distance from either direction to get there and you'll probably hit unsafe ice along the way.
I usually park at the Sand Bar on the south shore by the channel leading to Bluff and walk to the point which takes a hell of a long time. Is there a better place to park closer to the point?

Drift fished the point lastweek with bottom bouncers and gumball jigs with large fatheads and picked up a few white bass and lost something big that yielded a bodyless minnow.

Bring on the ice!!!!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:34pm - Nov 20,03 
I also would try by the Doctors house , or I think its a hotel now , on the point north-east of spot # 1 on Marc's map . Thats where the DNR sets their nets up in the spring to collect eggs . The first Ice walleye are probably going to be shallow and not in 35 ft of water . But like Walley said watch that ice there is current there and it can be dangerous ! The shallow water is better at dusk or at night , if there is not too much noise around you . I will be going out there friday in the boat probably for the last time this year and will post how I do . My buddy has been fishing a spot close to # 2 on the map in about 10-14 ft of water , and he has been doing pretty well . There seems to be a change from muck to gravel on that side that hold fish . Good luck and I will see you out there in the winter , most likely on Channel or Deep lake , I will be the one in the supershack ice tent , and maybe I can drag Marc along with me . Good luck on the ice .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:48am - Nov 25,03 
You guys are great with all this good info. Jpulver, are you talking about the point that is shaped like a boot? Did you make it out on Friday? I was hoping to hear some good stories. Where is a good access point to Marie? I've been looking around trying to find one and hopefully will sone. Can anybody give me any good tips on presentations to try for the eyes? I do have a vexilar which will aid in my search and I'm starting to get excited. Are these areas fished pritty hard in the winter time? Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:05pm - Nov 26,03 
Sorry I didnt make it out , but yes I was talking about that pinot shaped like a boot . The problem is the only place to park on Marie is the side by the entrance to Bluff lake , I guess that would be the east side of Marcs map . You can park at the sand bar and walk straight out there . The spot I was talking about over by spot #2 on Marcs map has been a spot that has produced for a few years now during open water . Only got to try it once for ice fishing and that was the day

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:11pm - Nov 26,03 
Sorry hit the wrong key before I finished , as I was saying that was the day I forgot my boots , so I didnt last long in gym shoes . There is a blue house on that side of the lake , just east of that house is an old crib or something in about 12ft of water try there ! In the open water on marie , wind is a key factor , try fishing the wind blown side , it really seems to help for eyes . You may see me and or my buddy Glenn out there this weekend , I have an old lund thats tan colored , he has a 14ft sylvain , say hello if you over there . I will post if I go .

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: