Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:05pm - Apr 6,06 
Hey Everybody-

I got on the water at 1PM, launched at Joes on Spring Lake. Water temps 52-53. The water is coming back up and it's dirty from Sunday/Monday rain. Started working the piers and got 5-6 really nice bluegills (7.5" to just under 9") about one on the end of every pier head, sometimes two. Got one good crappie- about 10" in the same slip channel there. Light (2#) line, slip floats, ice jigs, a piece of wedgie and a spike or two did the trick. Moved out of there and went to Bluff - water cooler in there at 49. Caught some more gills, two more crappies (but saw a bunch of crappie in there sunning under the piers- I did not have minnows- and bet that would've caught more). Did that for 20 minutes or so til about 2:45, had my 8 or 10 fish for the dinner table, then went out to throw for muskies. Started on Bluff, threw a spinnerbait, a glide and a Weagle for a bit- clouds came in by then- a bit of east wind. Water on Bluff proper was 48 degrees. Left there- no action, went and worked part of Marie and up into Sequoit harbor. Water was 47-48 on Marie, up to 51 in Sequoit. Didn't move anything but a few small perch interested in my spinnerbait. Left there and went to the north end of Channel. Water was 46 there. Some weeds coming but very slowly. Fished that area for 20 minutes or so til my hands got cold in the wind and then went to Catherine. Fished about 30 minutes on Catherine and heard a fish swirl 40-50 yards behind me. Wind pushed me that way and after a couple minutes I took a good shot out that way with the Weagle. Got halfway back and the fish "porpoised" between me and the Weagle. About a 35" fish- just came up slowly, showed it's head, back and tail and then went back down. Was DEFINITELY NOT making a move on the Weagle- didn't seem interested in me either (would you?) and was just kinda saying hi I think. Threw back at it a couple different directions and with a couple throw back baits- worked it for 10-15 minutes in the vicinity but didn't see it again. Forecast is for rain- possibly heavy tonight and into tomorrow morning then NE winds and colder for Fri/Sat and a gradual warming trend to possibly 70's by mid-week next week. I think we're heading downstate this weekend- planning on N. Spring or maybe even Kincaid- but I won't be fishing here this weekend- it's still too cold to get really excited IMHO. There's fish yes but you can tell on the main lakes when you go to hook your lure on the rod keeper or pull off a weed- the baits are VERY cold coming out of the water- that water's still chilly and there's no substantial weedgrowth yet. If I were gonna fish it- I'd hit the channels for pannies and ya never know what might develop. If anything those fish should be near the warmer water and food equation. I was working alot of the throat areas on Wednesday figuring I might find a staging fish or two that were making their way back up into the channels but no dice. Lots of waterfowl still on the water- loons, mergansers, buffleheads, golden eyes, mallards, woodies and bluebills all making their way through. Neat.
Later- I'll be back on the Chain if we get some of this warmth they're talking about next week- I really want the water in the mid 50's on the main lakes before I go back to pounding 'em. Areas that I have found fish in several lakes are still a few weeks off IMHO- but- you put a bait in front of a hungry fish at the right place and right time- you'll connect- they gotta eat.

Tight lines all- have a good weekend. Set the hook hard and then hit him again..

Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 04:47pm - Apr 6,06 
Thanks for the report Todd, Yes the chain is definitely still sluggish. A few days of stable weather would sure help. Didn't make it out this week as I planned but as you said, we're not missing much right now. :wink:

Still gonna hit it on the weekend. If nothing else, I need practice!!! :)

Good Luck Down South. :winker

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 05:05pm - Apr 6,06 
Thanks Todd

Ignorance and Apathy, I don't know and I don't Care. W.C. Fields

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:45pm - Apr 6,06 
Thanks for the report I'm trying to get out Sunday hope the weather holds up.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:11am - Apr 7,06 
Great stuff, Todd.
That's exactly what I was looking for.
I find it hard to believe the Weagle didn't spark that fishes' intrest.(insert hysterical laugh) Might have trouble tying V's lucky Marmooshka on 65# PowerPro though.
They should be bulking up...
We're still gonna give it a go, for a while at least.
Then work some eyes.
And maybe pannies in the channels.
This high pressure is gonna be a bitch on Saturday.
Will have some info from the south end for you when we return.
Good luck south and stick a pig.

John :mrgreen:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49am - Apr 7,06 
Quote:
I find it hard to believe the Weagle didn't spark that fishes' intrest.(insert hysterical laugh)

Yeah ET- me too- I just figured that fish would come up with fins raised and surrender when it saw the Weagle... :bigyuck . Actually the first time I've worked one and I do like the way it works- almost a cross between a topwater and a glide bait- and I especially like the fact that so much of the bait is under water and it gives a good belly roll at times on the glide motion. Downside I think is that it is a HEAVY Mutha... don't think I'll be chuckin' it for hours on end.

Anyway- find the forage and you'll likely find a fish. Glad you found some info to use in the post. Spoke to Bear by phone last evening and told him I put that up just for you guys- knowing you'll be out doin' some scouting. Like your south end ideas too- lemmee know how that goes. Rain up by me was much less substantial than forecast. .25" max and warm-ish so temps may not have been badly affected. Rain didn't even really start up by us til around 4AM today.

Tight lines-

Todd

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: