Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 05:19am - Apr 2,06 
Launched at the State park at 10am with Doug from the west suburbs. We headed north on the river trolling crank baits all the way to the rt173 bridge but saw no action. We then changed to jig/minnow combos and bottom bouncers with shiners while drifting back down stream. Only some taps were felt but no solid hits. Live bait was not the answer so we switched to some plastics. We tossed brown crayfish softbaits into shore and picked up a nice 12-13 inch white bass but lost it at the boat. Also tossed white Berkley power grubs into the shallows. Started getting short bites and lightened up on line and went to 1/16 jigs with twister tails which produce 1 drum and 4 more white bass. Should have changed to soft baits earlier and may have had a better day.

Two white's were good size 12 inchers + but the others were smaller.

Walleyes are still quiet on the river. A few other boats were also trolling and jigging but the 'eye's were silent. A CPO at the dock said there were a few walleyes taken on the lakes by tournament anglers practicing for Sundays event at Halings but didn't hear of any taken from the river. Water levels were down a foot from last week and mud bars are starting to show. Water temps remained at 50-51 degrees all day. Never did see the sun which I was hoping would show up to warm the shallows a bit more. Had one interesting moment that got the blood pumping. While casting power grubs into shore, I had a quick strike and large swirl. Felt a heavy fish on but only for a few seconds before it let loose and scooted out to deeper water. This fish was sitting right on shore in water that was only 1-2 foot deep. Maybe a muskie but more likely and carp. I think my jig landed on top of him, possibly fowl hooking on the tail or back. Never got to see it other than the wake it left as it moved into the deep. Lots of short bites at shore indicating the beginning of spawners.

Spoke with CPO who was checking all boats as they returned. He said they will be out in full force this year due to many reports and complaints of illegal fish being taken on the river and the lakes. I told him I spend allot of time on the North Fox through the season and he actually gave me his cell number and ask that I call him personally if I see any illegal activities from boats or shore fisherman stating If he's off duty, he would contact the officer that's available. I also asked him about questioning anglers that are seen taking short fish. He said we have every right to request the fish be measured. If the angler refuses, let him know that you will report him. I assured him I would be happy to do so.

Anyway, the North river is waking slowly and a bit more warm weather should start producing some nice catches. Can't Wait !!! :hapdan

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09am - Apr 5,06 
Hey JD, great report! The weather this week should bring up the water temp and the fish action. I get my boat back on Saturday and I'm on vacation next week, so I will be hitting the big lake and the chain a few times each. Maybe I'll run into ya. Have a great day!

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 02:54pm - Apr 5,06 
Good Luck on Both waters. :) I'll be on the Chain Saturday and probably Sunday too. Was gonna hit the water today but work got in the way. :roll:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: South Elgin, IL :: 04' Blue 1700 Lund Explorer, 115 4-stroke Yammie

Post Posted: 03:30pm - Apr 5,06 
JD,
we're gonna have to get you out on the big pond sometime soon!

-Jason

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Apr 6,06 
Haven't fished the big pond since '95. Maybe this year Pond. :wink:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: South Elgin, IL :: 04' Blue 1700 Lund Explorer, 115 4-stroke Yammie

Post Posted: 07:57am - Apr 7,06 
well, I think you definitely have to get out for the Perch bite alone! Before the charters take them all! :shock:

15 jumbo perch, MMMMMMMMM tastee!
-Jason

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: