Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:00pm - Mar 19,06 
Hey Everybody-

Okay- lessons- it's always about lessons (well most of the time it should be anyway). And the great part??? CTA facilitates and provides a venue for these lessons for us- a continual thanks to all the support staff here from me and V. Now.... these illustrative lessons and what we can give and take here-sometimes without even knowing it.

First- we're suckin' down coffee early this morning and we logged onto the site, wondering if anyone had been out and we read JD's and RSS' excellent report from 3/18 on the Fox Chain Thread titled "not much going on". It's a good and honest report from 2 very good fishermen who know panfish, know the Chain and know finesse. We weren't encouraged by their report- be we did learn from it. My point here is that some days we have great days on the water- some days we have lousy days (catching-wise anyway) and both can be very valuable to others of us here.

The guys said they didn't do much north yesterday on Channel and Squaw creek and up that way. So, V and I decided to go the other way then- let's go south and see if there's anything going on down that way. Launched at Pistakee at 10:45 this morning (let the sun come up- warm up the air and water a bit). We found 40 degree water when we set the boat in the water- stained like JD said, high water like he also said, a light NNW breeze and air temps at 38. We wanted to find wood and dabble for some pannies and we realized too that we were probably going to have to be pretty patient based on their findings yesterday. We hit the channels and searched out slightly deeper water where we could. We worked the north sides where we could for sun exposure and "hopefully" even a little more warm water. Used an ice set up basically- 2# line, 1/80th oz. Mormyshkas and ice-buster slip floats. Jigs tipped with euro larva. First fish came in about 10 minutes- fished "dead still" next to a stump:

Second fish came moments later on a wooden dock post:

Went on steady for a little bit with gills and crappies here and there

Things went pretty well for about an hour. Wasn't fast and furious by any means. Fish here- fish there was more like it- sometimes a couple on a given piece of structure or cover. Nice mix of crappies and gills and a few good ones too- that's always fun. The bites slowed a bit- we moved around (probably a mistake- never leave fish to find fish I'm told....but it "was" slowing down.. honest! :lol: ).... so- always on the wander for toothy fish- we put the light rods down and got the musky gear out- mostly just to work out some muscles (sure) and V started firing away (I like the spinner bait above her head in the second shot- I got her just as she was in the casting motion and letting the bait fly)

She did want to me to take a couple illustrative pics to show that for another 22 hours or so... it is still WINTER
It is still cold. Water warmed to 42 while we were out. Dunked a couple small musky baits for 30-45 minutes but it's still "way cold water"- gonna be a little bit yet. We stayed til 3:30 then called it. We hit the marina (Pistakee) before finishing but the fish aren't there yet. Water's dirty and 41 in there and it'll take a few more warm sunny days like RSS said to get it going on. But- thanks to what JD may have thought was not a great bunch of info to report - to us it was and it gave us a couple things to work with, forced us to consider options, fish some water we don't normally consider 1st choice water for us (and probably made us pay more attention than we might have otherwise too) and resulted in catcing some decent fish in a couple hours and some smiles and a good sunny afternoon for this early in the process (and make no mistake- it is very early in the process!).

I hope we'll all keep reporting the good and the bad- you never know what it's gonna do for the next member here. JD and RSS- thanks for hints and ideas- without even knowing it! RSS- we feel the same- V and I look forward to seeing you real soon too- ice is a distant memory (unpleasant one at that this year) but we're back on the soft water and it feels good don't it?!

Tight lines all-

Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:19pm - Mar 19,06 
Mr. Berg,
I'll bet you could tell a tale about burning trash in a barrel and make each of us jealous for not taking part in the same.
You and Veronica are simply tops.
Always a full glass.

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 07:23pm - Mar 19,06 
Thanks for the report Todd! Now I hope you didn't scare any of those "Toothy Friends" away, around Coon Island :lol: :lol: Thanks again

Chas

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:20pm - Mar 19,06 
THATS AWESOME

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Mar 19,06 
Thanks for your kind words Todd. I'm glad our report helped. Unfortunately I should have read it too. :lol: I returned to the north Chain today with Fish81156 hoping for the sun to make the difference. We hit the north river and lightened up a bit with our presentations but still couldn't produce. Current was very strong and boat control was difficult in some prime areas. Had some taps but no fish. We then hit Squaw and Fox Lake again with the same results as yesterday. Water temps were on the rise and were reaching the magical mid 40's in some areas but just couldn't shake the skunk. We did see some crappie taken from channel lake on small fatheads but as you stated, not fast or furious. Crappies were smaller males tight up to shore where temps were almost 45 degrees.

Good to hear ya got some. As a rookie guide, I need to sharpen my skills a bit and adapt better to changing or should I say, unchanging conditions. Everyday on the water is a learning experience. Hat's off to you and your wife for boating fish under some difficult conditions. :allah

Though it was a tough weekend for the spinner boat, it was still a good one in my book, testing equipment, scouting the water, spending both days with great company and gaining more knowledge. :)

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:42pm - Mar 19,06 
Any Luc Wrote:

Quote:
I'll bet you could tell a tale about burning trash in a barrel and make each of us jealous for not taking part in the same.

My setiments exactly!!!!

I read a report of Todd's last week, and really couldn't put into words how great a report it was. I sent him a pm telling him what a great post it was, but couldn't really express how much I enjoyed reading it. Mr. Luc, as usual, has put the perfect response in type.

Thanks for another wonderful report Todd.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:50pm - Mar 19,06 
isn't it a bit soon the big guys????

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: