Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 09:01am - Nov 6,05 
Was able to get out on the North fox yesterday for a couple of hours. Water temperature was at 52 degree's. Water levels are down a couple of inches. Although drawdown time is here, the rains will help keep the level up a bit longer. Started trolling downstream with shads and rebel craws but saw no action the first hour. We turned and headed back north when we heard music to our ears as the drag started peeling off line from the rod with the SR-5 Glass rap. We quickly moved into big fish mode by shifting into neutral, my partner "Northwoods" began clearing the other lines. The fish was strong and heavy. Just as the boat had come to a stop and I actually began bringing the fish in, there were two more violent tugs then........ limp line. As I was retrieving the line I could feel the lure was gone but my heart sunk when I saw the actual malfunction. :x

This is the first year I have used snap swivels in many years and decided to go back to them just for the time saving convenience. I have experienced this problem in the past and stopped using them because of lost fish. They will never be seen on my line again!!!! A definite malfunction or should I say poor quality swivel but not an inexpensive one. My drag was set correctly and this swivel should have never distorted the way it did. The fish was not on long enough to be able to guess the specie. I'd love to say it was a big 'Eye but the power and violent tugs were a bit more than what I have felt out of even the biggest walleye's from the river. So either I had a real trophy, or other possiblilities exist such as a large Carp, Cat, or maybe even a muskie although I rarely get any on the north river.

It took me about a half hour to regain my composure, knowing I lost the fish for the day or even the season. We then moved up river a bit more and started jigging some downed trees when the sky opened up. Not only rain but marble size hail!!! We continued to fish through that mess but only had a couple of bumps. The last chance at a fish was also missed when I was using an ultralight for some crappie. In the middle of some hot conversation, rain and hail, I felt the typical soft weight of a walleye hanging on to the bait but my head just wasn't there and by the time I realized it, the fish simple let go as they do. It's funny, in the back of my mind I'm feeling the weight and slowly pulling back on the line. It's just called lack of concentration on my part. :? If I would have dropped the rod tip and treated it like a walleye, it probably would have became one. :)

Within a few more minutes the lightning started and was hitting close enough that we decided walleye was no longer our top priority.

Somedays you have luck but some days it's all bad luck.

Still another day on the water. There's never a bad day, just some better than others. :wink:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19am - Nov 6,05 
you just made me more confident in using the crosslock snaps that i use instead of the one you got their.i've never really trusted that style.hope the fish lives with a shad rap stuck to his puss

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:39am - Nov 6,05 
J.D.,
You and I really need to do a day on the water together.
I'll bet when we were done, we could put together on heck of a sad story to tell our friends.
I wonder if we could even make the readers cry?

Roscoe Coastlocks might be considered to prevent the hardware failure in the future.

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 10:14am - Nov 6,05 
If you have that kind of stuff happen to you too Anyluc, then we're missing our calling. We should be writing books called failures when fishing. :lol:

I've never been a big swivel user but with the eye's getting older, it's getting a bit more time consuming to tie. Cross locks may be the answer.... or maybe some glasses. :?

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Location: SW Florida, Smokercraft 192 Ultima,115 4 stroke Mercury.

Post Posted: 10:16am - Nov 6,05 
Yep, I have to agree the Crosslocks are the way to go.
A good read indeed JD, you will get them soon........... :D

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 10:23am - Nov 6,05 
Jay wrote:
Yep, I have to agree the Crosslocks are the way to go.
A good read indeed JD, you will get them soon........... :D

Which??? the locks or the glasses???? :lol:

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: