Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 06:00pm - Oct 17,05 
Had High hopes of a nice catch saturday. We headed out from Oak Point at 7am and headed down river trolling the usual crankbaits Ed got bit by a small "White" but there were no other takers with cranks. We then jigged with minnows at and around the deeper holes in the river. Picked up a couple more whites and lost a nice walleye boat side. It was just one of those things. Ed set the hook, played it to the boat, drag was set perfect, and I was getting ready with the net but right at boat side the jig popped free and the fish was gone. This fish was 20+ and would have been a nice catch and photo opportunity but sometimes, even when you do all the right things, they still get away. After a few more minutes we decided to hit the lakes. Lake Marie was on my mind but when we got there, the saddle was dotted with boats. Didn't recognize anyone and didn't want to join the crowd. Ed brought his Musky rod with and I had mine also so we decided to hit Catherine and throw some bucktails. Spent an hour or so pounding the drop offs on the south end with no muskies rasied. A few other boats were there but none seemed to be having any luck. Wind was picking up so we decided to take a break and get a bite to eat. Captain Curts makes a mean burger. Saw Pond Prowler with Esox Tracker and chatted for a bit and kept in touch much of the day on the radio's but not sure if they ended up with any fish. With the missed walleye in the am and several short bites we decided to head back to the river and stay out of the wind. We continued to jig and caught a couple more whites, a nice yellow bass and a 15 inch channel cat. By mid afternoon, the action had stopped and we hit several different areas with jigs and slip bobbers but only short bites and one other fish on/fish off occurred before we ended the day. Ed was another great partner for the day. Although we didn't boat any walleye, we still had action most of the day with many missed opportunies and short bites. This is still better than some outings the last month or two when the spinner boat has gone much of the day with little action. Water levels are maintaining so far and temps are high 50's/low 60's.

Below are a couple of pic's of Ed and his fish.

The pic below shows the difference between a white bass and a yellow bass.

Although no walleye were boated, we had a nice day on the water. Thank you Ed for being a great partner. Haven't muskie fished in some time, it was nice to throw some big baits for while.

Sunday's catch was a bit better but only one dink walleye with some nice whites and crappie for the frying pan. :wink:

Should have followed RSS to that darn bridge!!!! :lol:

Good Fishing All.... See ya next week!!!!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:06pm - Oct 17,05 
Hey JD, looks like tou got your mojo back man! Those are some good looking stripes

And is that bait or an eye your holding up there :wink:

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 07:22pm - Oct 17,05 
After looking through a magnifying glass I had on board, I determined it was in fact a walleye. :lol:

....... not quite the size we were looking for. :roll:

The fishing is definately picking up, Not too many nice fish yet but lots of bites and activity that just wasn't there a few weeks ago. Hopefully we'll have another month or so to turn this into a good fall. :)

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01pm - Oct 17,05 
Thanks for the report jd.we were on the northern lakes muskie fishing. We didn't even see a fish. It looked like the lakes were starting to turn over

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:36am - Oct 18,05 
It was kinda rough going out there Sat. Nasty wind and high skies made it tough. We didnt see a fish the whole day. Tried everything from jerkbaits to trolling. Weeds, rock, underwater points, flats, basin, the whole 9. Lost intrest somewhere around 3 and tried jigging up some eyes on Marie, 1 white to show for it. That moon looked really promising when we left. Maybe next time. Good to get out and rip some baits with you Pondo.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: South Elgin, IL :: 04' Blue 1700 Lund Explorer, 115 4-stroke Yammie

Post Posted: 06:25am - Oct 18,05 
Oh sure, throw the moon thing in there! :argue

As usual, doesn't matter if I'm catching em' with ya' chief, always good to have ya on the water.

JD–That system is pretty unforgiving, don't know how you can do it, day in, day out. One of these days we'll have to get you on the Big Pond for some Perch. Now that's some good eats.

Pond

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 08:22am - Oct 18,05 
PondProwler wrote:
JD–That system is pretty unforgiving, don't know how you can do it, day in, day out. One of these days we'll have to get you on the Big Pond for some Perch. Now that's some good eats.

Pond

Well somedays not too well. :lol: The chain can be tough. The same questions come up everytime out. Go to the north lakes, Go to the south lakes??? Stay on the river??? Can't hit them all on any given day so ya try to put the odds in your favor. Even after many years, it's very difficult to put consistent or repetitive patterns together. Lately, staying on the river has been the better choice. :wink:

I haven't fished the big lake in years. I'll take you up on the offer but would need to be next season because I'm out on the chain every weekend up to the 12th of November. Weather permitting. 8)

It was nice to see you guy's..... If your gonna hit the chain again, let me know and I will pm ya some info. :wink:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: South Elgin, IL :: 04' Blue 1700 Lund Explorer, 115 4-stroke Yammie

Post Posted: 08:29am - Oct 18,05 
You got it.....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19pm - Oct 18,05 
Hey J.D.,

Saw you on the river on Sunday, we were drifting toward you just south of the farmers discharge, was going to say hi but you picked up and split before we drifted down to you.We got a few stripes up by Wilmot, and a 24 in. carp off the riprap just north of the outflow, also got a few stripes on the shoreline south of the oak point launch. It sure was a nice day to be out there.

Boneman

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 12:34am - Oct 19,05 
Yep, I saw you guys there, we had just left that area and were hitting some whites where you saw us. Didn't mean to zip off but had alot of spots to hit with a new jig set up and not alot of time. :(

Anytime you see me, feel free to pull up and say Hi !! :)

Glad ya had some luck. The river is slowly coming around isn't it. Hope the weather stays on our side for awhile. 8)

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04pm - Oct 19,05 
Ya, I love that stretch from Wilmot on down to oak point, nice and peacefull. We need some good flow to clean it out a little though. Good to hit it again, I had first timer in the boat for that area and he just loved it. See ya on the river.

Boneman

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: