Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 10:11pm - Oct 8,05 
Got out this afternoon with Dad and two sons from Chicago. They were eager to get into some fish..... any fish, but the spinner boat fell into some real tough fishing today. Our original plan was to hit a few different spots til nightfall then anchor at an area on Channel Lake which can usually provide some great action this time of year. We started on the river with water temps at 57-58 degrees. A welcome change but a big change from only days ago. I was also happy to see my locator marking some nice fish again. More than what I have seen on the river for some time. Most were suspended from 3-5 foot with very few close to bottom. Even though the water temps have dropped and the fish were there, we only managed one hit and no fish. Crankbaits, assorted jig colors and slip bobbers all produced no action. We then moved to Marie/Channel and fished both sides of the 173 bridge. Once again marking decent numbers of fish with no results. A single fish that got off before we could see it. Still having some time before night fall, I thought we could get into some gill's to help pass the time and keep us interested until the nite bite started but even the always hungry sunfish were tightjawed. After hitting two different locations on Channel lake that can produce some nice size Blue gills and bass, both prooved to be unproductive. So we decided to head to the prime spot of the trip and get ready for the nite bite. We anchored in plenty of time and spent an hour or so working the area. Things were looking up when I saw the bobber dip and go under, a 1-2-3 count and set the hook but after a couple of tugs, the fish simple let go leaving the minnow on the hook. No teeth marks indicated a panfish or small bass at best. This area is generally very productive in the late afternoon and can really turn on with lit bobbers just after dark but with zero fish to show for an hour of patience, we talked over our options and decided to head back to the river and head in before dark. We spent the last minutes of light at a downed tree which is usually worth the stop. With four of us slipping and jigging with fish being marked, only one fish was hooked and lost when the line got hung up on wood which assisted in his escape.

Needless to say a disappointing day on the spinner boat. It makes it worse when you have a couple of boys on board that were depending on me to put them on to some fish. They had high hopes and fished like troopers but frankly, the chain was just plain shut down today. Pretty tough when we couldn't even get the gill's to bite. :?

As my policy states, No fish means a free outing. The cold front was just too much for us today so father and sons will get out again when they choose. :wink:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:23am - Oct 9,05 
My friend chaz and i worked Pistakee bay pretty hard yesterday with fatheads, got nothing. Tried trolling some crankbaits,got nothing. We pulled the plug and decided not to beat a dead horse. Off the water by 1:00

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12am - Oct 9,05 
That's the tough side of guiding JD, sorry to here about the skunk! This weather has been brutal!

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 08:01am - Oct 9,05 
Yea, Spring and fall can produce the best........ and the worst that fishing can offer. Other than being disappointed for my clients, It's still a day on the water, another day to continue the never ending learning process.

Somehow I'll turn the day into a possitive after I get done licking my wounds. :lol:

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: