Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 06:59pm - Oct 1,05 
Esox and I met on the north Fox this morning at 6:30. Due to the poor results on the chain the last few outings we had decided to gamble a bit more, spending less time in waters which usually sustain heavy pressure and hit some areas that I haven't fished in some time. Our first stop was the Rt 173 bridge where we marked some nice fish but only produced a single 8 inch crappie. We then trolled to Grass lake with crankbaits. Although the waters temps have dropped (just under 60 degrees at launch thime), we had one possible hit but no fish. Headed down to Pistakee where we saw a nice walleye being pulled in by a shore fisherman under the bridge. It looked like a slot fish but when I told the guy that it had to be under 18 or over 24, He just laughed and said "Yea... Right". Thought about calling the DNR but then decided to just let it go. Sometimes ya just don't feel like getting into it and maybe I was wrong about the size. We jig fished the river mouth, trolled to and in Pistakee bay but no fish. Finally said the heck with it and ventured into the Fox Lake area where we picked up some Gills and several small largemouth. Lost one walleye behind the boat. Barely got a glimpse of the white spot on the tail as it headed back down and can only guess a 14-15 incher. Although action would still be considered very light, we were able to connect in some areas. Still had many short hits. Most fish came off of Jigs tipped with fatheads. Below are some pic's of esox with a couple of bass and two whities.

We started to run out of time and decided to get back on the river and hit the shorelines. There was good current but much of the river was covered with algae. (in October???) :shock:

White Bass were getting active and started hitting jig/fathead combos in 6-8 foot of water along the downed trees but it was time to head in so esox wouldn't be late for a prior engagement. Think we could have got into some good fish if we would have stayed longer but the half day trip had already turned into over 8 hours. Don't want to get on the bad side of the future Mrs esox so, we packed it up. All in all, a better day than the spinner boat has had the last few outing. The weather was great. I was able to show esox some areas that will be HOT when the ice melts next spring. :wink:

Esox was a great a partner for the day. Good conversation, lots of fish talk. It was one of those days for me, bad casts, snags, birds nests and equipment malfunctions (nothing serious) that kept me busy while esox was catching most of the fish. He was definately the better fisherman in the spinner boat today. :)

Great Job Esox, It was a nice day on the water. Hope you enjoyed it and came away with some useful tips for fishing the chain in the future.

Get that radio in and we'll hunt 'em down with both boats next time.

We also met Rheinhardt on the river, sorry Gene, Next time I'll bring the GMRA. Hope ya got some fish.

Northwoods was also out there, we talked over the radio but never met up. Glad you got out Mom. Sorry we missed ya.

Also met FrankM on the water. Good to See Ya. The spinner boat is getting pretty well known out there.

Hope everyone enjoyed their day. :)

It's just gonna keep getting better as the temperatures drops!!!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:11pm - Oct 3,05 
Ya JD. I went over the bridge at Wilmot on Sunday afternoon and the river looked like pea soup, yuck, whats up with that?

Boneman

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 12:53am - Oct 4,05 
First thing that comes to mind is bacteria levels but another source could be the fertilizer run off from farm fields in Wisconsin after heavy rains.

It is strange to see it in October. Probably becuase of the ongoing warm air and water temps. :|

Back in the 70's, that stuff use to get a 1/2 inch thick across all the chain lakes. :shock:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48am - Oct 4,05 
Great report JD! There's a ton of opportunities out there for sure with better fishing ahead. Yeah that algae bloom is strange this late in the year- but I agree that the run-off may be an issue. Funny too because we were out working on a duck blind a couple weeks ago and I launched at the state park and the river and surrounding areas were clear as a bell- but that was before the rains too..

Tight lines-
Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28pm - Oct 4,05 
That stuff was all over shafer this weekend too. I touched it and it looks like duck weed feels like duck weed so I think it is duckweed.

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: