Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 05:47pm - Sep 25,05 
Was up at 4am this morning getting ready for a day on the Chain with JohnN. Although the weather predictions were questionable, and Saturday's outing was tough, I had a positive attitude and hoped that we could break out today and put some nice fish in the boat. I had problems with minnows dying quickly on the hook yesterday and thought that may have been a partial reason for the lack of success. This morning I made the trip to Triangle bait to see if the minnow quality would be better, It was, the fatheads were fiesty and held up much better. John and I were on the river at 6:45 and headed downstream trolling with raps and rebel craws. We picked up a white bass within the first half hour which was the first fish caught trolling in sometime but the rest of the river remained quite. We then headed south through Pistakee to the river mouth and hit the shorelines with jigs tipped with crawlers and minnows. Lots of activity in the water which appeared to be carp. We were marking fish just off of bottom but only a few taps could be had. Being that the bite has been very slow, we tried not to spend too much time in one spot so we headed into Fox Lake and fished the Ackerman channel from the narrows, under the bridge, and to the beginning of Indian Point. More of the same with only two small Gill's and the smallest largemouth ever caught on a #2 aberdeen. At that point the sky opened and the rains began. It was a pretty good down pour for awhile which led to putting up the top on our way back to the river. We attempted a bit more trolling but our success was limited to a single drum that hit a perch colored glass rap. It was raining on and off and we finally picked up on the pattern. When we lowered the top and took off our rain gear, the rain would start. When we raised the top and put on our rain gear, it would stop. At least we figured out that mystery. :lol:

Before the day ended we fished shallow along the downed trees with bobbers and minnows which produced some hits and lost fish but the ones we could see appeared to only be small crappie hanging on to the minnows. :?
Another small bass and one more white bass on a Jig & minnow combo was it for the day. So the curse continues with another walleye-less week and only six fish in the boat. At this point this guide can certainly tell you where they are not biting. :roll:

I remain upbeat knowing that the fall bite has got to turn on soon. The water levels are rising with the rain and the water temps are slowly dropping. About another 10 degree's should do it. Lets hope for some cool nights. :)

JohnN was a great partner and showed plenty of patience as we pounded the water in area's that would usually produce some nice fish. I appreciated the opportunity to fish with you John, sorry our day was not more successful. Your fishing skills warranted better results but any day on the water is still enjoyable in my eyes. Thank you for making the trip.

No fish worth a snap shot but did get a couple of shots of the "spinner boat" rigged and ready to go.

Next week!!! I hope this dry spell ends so that we can put some nice fish in the boat. The motto is.... Never give up!!!!!! :wink:

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:15pm - Sep 25,05 
Very nice looking rig. :wink:

Tom

Twin Fins

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 06:04am - Sep 26,05 
Thanks Tom. As with any new boat it takes a couple of seasons just to get it set up the way you want it. Even then the wheels are always turning trying to make everything accessible and convenient.

I would prefer a bit more of a fish odor. :lol:

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: