Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 02:49pm - Sep 10,05 
Launched at Oak Point This morning at 6:30 with my partner Joe from Planfield, Illinois. Joe made the trip up to hunt for walleye and although the last few weeks have been tough, we both jumped aboard the "spinner boat" with high expectation. Air temp was 66 degree's with calm waters. I was hoping for a cooler night to drop the water temps a bit but at launch time it was in the mid 70's and reached 82 by 2pm. We trolled down river from the Rt 173 bridge with a combination of sr5's, sr7's and a Rebel craw. The first mile or so was tough with lots of surface clutter, weeds and such that kept fowling the lures but within the next half hour, the wind picked up and cleared the surface. Unfortunately a solid troll from that point on produced zero fish, maybe one hit. Not willing to waste more time on the river which has been the "Dead Sea" now for the last few weeks, We headed out to lake Marie and drifted the east bar where we picked up a quick white bass using a #2 aberdeen with a 1/8 splitshot. We also threw slip bobbers out with crawlers to entice the suspended fish seen on the locator but only came up with short bites and bait steelers. A pontoon boat not far from us appeared to get a small 'Eye, maybe 14 and released it. We continued our drift bouncing the bottom and Joe did get one decent crappie, 10-11 inch out of 10 foot of water with a minnow.

That was the big fish for the day. I continued to get short bit which reminds me now of a device called a stinger hook. :roll: Joe did pick up two small perch but that was all the action were could stir up. We then headed into Channel lake but marked very few fish in a generally decent area so we headed down to Fox Lake and fished the Ackerman channel. Gotta get bit in there right??? Wrong, We took our time with spinner baits and slip bobbers and produced nothing. Time was running short and the temps were rising so we decided to give the river another try before we pulled out. We trolled raps and hit the shoreline structure along the river, finally stopped at the Rt173 bridge and attempted to entice a bite from under the bridge but all for not. We admitted defeat about 2pm and called it a day. Joe picked up the presentations very well but the "eye's are stubborn in these warm temperature.

Thank You Joe, for making the trip up and giving today a try even though the conditions were tough.

I will email your maps.

See ya in October. :wink:

JD

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: