Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 11:53pm - Aug 20,05 
It's been an exciting and busy couple of weeks working on the jdspinners.com endeavor but my wings got clipped and my feet hit the ground hard today when Rheinhardt and I spent the day in pursuit of fish on the Chain. It was touch and go whether we were gonna get out because of the weather but by 5:30 am, we decided it was a go. :)

Launched at the usual time at Oak Point. We trolled down river from just north of Rt 173 all the way to Grass lake. Water temps had cooled a bit being in the mid 70's and levels were up a bit above normal with the rain. A nice trip as usual but not a single fish taken on the river. :?

Headed south to Pistakee Bay and fished the south end of the bay. We started shallow with no action and moved to the 12-14 ft range before we started marking some decent fish. Picked up a single crappie and a jd spinner with a fathead, just enough to get our excitement up a bit but the next 1/2 hour or so was fishless. We tried spinners, Senko's, Jigs, crawlers, minnows and slip bobbers but no takers. Lake water temps were a bit higher than the river. We then hit Meyer's bay where I've had great luck in the past on Channel cats but hitting one of my long time hot spots with lots of deadfall and pads was fruitless. It was beginning to look like one of those days. No problem right?? We'll head to Channel Lake, if nothing else we'll kill some nice Gill's right??? Wrong again, After hitting some usually great spots for Gill's and Bass, we came up with 4 medium size Gill's and two perch.

Starting to realize that the day was turning into a bust, We headed back up the river to another " Ace in the hole" spot that always produces some kind of bite. Well not today. The normal honey hole was like the dead sea. With only six fish in the boat, today goes down in the books as one of the most un-productive of the season. A reality check one might say. :?

A reminder that the dog days of summer really do exist. Water temps were back in the low 80's by the end of the day. It's not only the heat that makes this time of the year tough but the endless food source thats available at this time. As we were moving through the channels, we could see schools of bait fish, hundreds of 1-2 inch little dinners for any game fish to pig out on.

Oh well, the old saying is, "You learn more from failure than success". This was a tough post to write being the first time out after announcing jdspinners guiding but It's only fair to post the failed outings as well as the productive ones.

The nights are getting cooler, the little fishies are getting eaten and growing. Fall is on the way when the fat well fed gamefish start finding a good meal a bit harder to find.

Still better than a day at work. :wink:

Rheinhardt, Thanks for your company today. I owe ya another outing in the future which should be more productive. :)

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 07:48am - Aug 21,05 
I would like to have read more about your presentations but aside from that JD, this was one of the best fishing reports I have read in a while. I never mind having a day of not catching for it is these days that seem to be the most productive on the learning side.
Putting people on fish day after day can be a chore. Getting those fish to bite day after day can shorten the fingernails to the quick.
I'll wish for you good luck and lotsa hungry fish.

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 08:14am - Aug 21,05 
Thank for the wishes AnyLuc, Presentaions changed constantly due to the lack of success but, The spinner baits were retrieved just fast enough to get the indiana blade to spin Or "Thump" through the water. You always know when your at the right speed because the thump can be felt at the rod tip. We did change speeds and even went to a french blade with a faster retrieve but the slower speed was getting the taps and did land the crappie. I think we could have stuck it out in the bay and picked up a few more but I was looking for better action. :roll:

Slip Bobbers were used with minnow and crawlers at different depths in the deeper water and just rubbing bottom in the shallower areas. Bobber fishing sounds boring but I never leave a bobber sit still. The minute it uprights itself as to verify a good presention, I then wait about 15 - 20 seconds, If there are no hits I will pull it about a foot towards me which will lift the bait a bit then allow it to fall again, almost like jigging but further from the boat. I give this method a few minutes in any given spot and move on if no fish are taken.

Senkos were pulled and twitched off of bottom and we did attach a light spinner ahead of one to see if it would get any attention. A couple of taps that felt like gills was all we got.

Shad raps (sr5's and sr7's) were used in the morning while trolling the river. Boat speeds between 1.5 and 3.0 mph. Different colors were tired, green/orange, glass raps, A rebel craw was also used. It seems to give off more vibration at different speeds than the raps do and has produced some nice 'eye's this year. I always questioned boat speed, now I don't, I look for the right lure action or vibration. What ever speed that is that gives the productive vibration is what speed I'll stay at. If you change lures, You may have to change speed also. Unfortunately, yesterday, there wasn't a vibration or speed that worked at all.

Hope that will help people. :wink:

It's all about catchin' fish. :)

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: