Author
Search for:
Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 08:32am - Jul 24,05 
The heat was not a problem yesterday as the weather guy's predicted. Yesterday morning Rheinhardt and I launched at Oak Point about 7:30AM and headed our way down the river in search of, .... Well..... Fish. Unknown water temps due to locator failure, but the air temp was at 65 degree's. Lots of shore guys out but no tangle's. Trolled SR5's and 7's down to Grass lake but no fish in the boat. Rheinhardt lost what appeared to be a 12-14 inches smallie but no signs of any walleye. The chain and upper river are not low like the south. I would say only a couple of inches off regular summer levels. Lotus beds are in full bloom. Probably lots of fish in there if you could get to them.

We headed through Grass lake to the Fox Lake Channels and had some luck with Gill's and some small bass on crawlers. This Gill was the biggest at 9 inches. The Bass were barely larger than that. This Gill had some wounds on both sides of his back that were pretty deep and appeared pretty fresh. Must of barely got away from a toothy critter. Wounds were bad enough that this old guy may not survive.

Also got 6 Cats with the biggest being about 16 inches. The channels were calm and quite with no boat traffic so we assumed a much better day but fish were sluggish.

Decides to take a ride and take in the scenery. We headed through Petite and Bluff, then decided to throw some rap's out on Lake Marie. Rheinhardt hooked into a monster, His baitcaster couldn't take the pressure. Although the drag was set properly, it grenaded with pieces flying everywhere, the drag kept screamin' until it ran out of line and snapped. Uh..... What was it???? I'll let Rheinhardt do the explaining.

Headed back up river again trolling for some 'eye's but they were just too good for us today. Did get a couple more Cat's in the 15-16 range tossing some slip bobbers into the wood with crawlers and Fathead's.

That was pretty much it for the day. Had mixed emotions about going because of the heat but it really wasn't too bad. A bit muggy at times but there was a fair amount of breeze to keep us cool. Rheinhardt nudged me into heading out and I'm glad he did. As usual, had a great time and enjoyed another day on the water. Thanks for making the trip up Gene!!!!

Unfortunatley there were no "Scenery" shots available like last week. :|

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:00pm - Jul 25,05 
So when are you going to starting guiding on the chain?

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 12:55am - Jul 26,05 
Thanks for the compliment Marc. Been fishing the Chain for many years and would love to guide if I thought my fishing skills were up to the task. I know the water well enough but getting out once or twice a week for the fun of it is different than putting clients on to fish everyday. Actually am planning to move north and guide in Northern Wisconsin in about 10 years. Maybe I should dabble in it now and get some experience. :hmmmm

Anyone know what the requirements are in Illinois??

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - Jul 26,05 
JD,

I talked to Springfield, Officer Jill Willis (217-782-6431) and unlike the Great Lakes you do not need a charter license. What is required for inland lakes is a “Passenger for Hire License” which can be obtained through the Springfield boat registration office (217-557-0180).

The only other thing I think you would need is an insurance rider, my sister just picked up a million dollar policy for around $750.00 a year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18am - Jul 27,05 
Yep Marc- that's all you need!...... No- wait a minute- you better add a couple minor things to that... including....

Along with a good sense of humor, ability to deal with EVERY conceivable type of client, weather and water conditions, calls at virtually any hour, fuel prices, equipment failure and replacement, website and email maintenance, photography skills, licenses for clients who don't get them when you ask them to, no-shows, deposit and calendar management, billing, taxes, insurance, sponsor arrangements and seminar/trade show work, expectations by clients of nearly all varieties, un-returned calls, holes in the schedule, price shoppers, excessive heat, excessive cold, high water, low water, fishing in the wind, untangling lines and lures, fishing on days when you're sick or don't want to, being absolutely upbeat EVERY single day...
And after that, you'll figure out that you're working for about $10 an hour and yet- you still keep doing it!!! :lol:
Have I left anything out? Probably. The upside is there are great customers out there and the VAST majority of my clients are fun, friendly and great to have aboard. (Did I ever tell you about the guy who busted one of my St. Croix rods over his leg after he lost a big smallmouth on Geneva? Tom's heard that story...) be prepared for nearly anything- but most of all if you do decide to get into it- be prepared- it is a heckuva lot of work- more than I ever anticipated.

Happy to answer any questions you may have JD if you're seriously considering the game- give me a PM and we'll talk!

Tight lines all- (and V wants to know when's the next perch outing?!)

Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:39am - Jul 27,05 
Todd Wrote:

Quote:
Did I ever tell you about the guy who busted one of my St. Croix rods over his leg after he lost a big smallmouth on Geneva?

How you kept your control after that happened, I'll never know. :evil:

Quote:
being absolutely upbeat EVERY single day...

Don't know how you do that either. :argue

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:53am - Jul 27,05 
I couldn't fill in the blanks like you can Todd, I'm sure JD appreciates hearing about the total picture.

And you are one of the most upbeat people I know, how you held back when someone takes a knee to one of your sticks is beyond me.

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 04:29pm - Jul 27,05 
Thank's Todd for bringing me back to reality. :lol:

..... And for offering your assistance. It's nice to have someone willing to share information. :)

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: