Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:27pm - May 19,05 
Hey Everybody-

Well- I heard from the biologist with the IDNR today about the two tagged fish that I boated with client Mike on 5/7 and with V on 5/14. VERY interesting (and I learned that I don't know so much.. which is a good thing but don't tell V- she'll never let me forget it).

First- the 35.5" fish that I caught on 5/7 was caught on Catherine. That fish was tagged on Channel Lake on 4/13/05 and was a female (I swore it was a male- judgmental SOB that I am) and weighed 12.4 pounds at tagging date and was 35.5"- same as we measured when caught.

Second- the 36" fish that Veronica caught on 5/14 was caught on Spring Lake. That fish was tagged on 4/15/05 on Bluff Lake, and was a MALE (I swore up and down it was a spawned out female- see part about judgmental above). She weighed 11.3 pounds at tagging date- and was 36", same as we measured when caught.

I also would've bet you a hundred dollars (would've- don't try to collect now) that the 36" fish that Veronica caught was much heavier than the 35.5" (now that may be- seeing as it was a month between tagging and catching) but according to the tags- that was NOT the case. The first fish (female) was heavier.

Just goes to show you what Mr. Big Fishing Guide knows... DUH :oops:

I'm hoping to talk to the biologist to find out approximate age, better identification of sex (don't go there) and more on the condition and fins and tagging etc. I guess there are 1500 tagged fish in the Chain right now. I learned another (36.5") was caught on Bluff Lake on Tuesday evening- don't have any other info. I will let you know what more I learn after I share the pics and info with the biologist. I'm hoping for a phone call in the next day or so. His initial email was very excited that we'd reported tagged fish as the info is very important to them. Cool feedback for us too!

Tight lines all-

Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:35pm - May 19,05 
Question Todd. How do they do the tagging? Do they shock the fish up, net, or hook and line them? Thanks for the intresting info.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:39pm - May 19,05 
Hi Tom...

They blow in their ears... :wink:

Seriously- they Fyke net them. The Fyke net (*only seen illustrations- see previous post for what I already "DONT KNOW") are long round nets that are like minnow traps. I'll get more info and show an illustration or post a link- there's some good stuff out there on this. I'll ask about the tagging procedure though when I talk to him- good question. I'm also interested because the numbers are out of sequence if the info he gave me is correct. The higher numbered tag was used first on 4/13 and the lower # on 4/15. Not sure how that works but I'm gonna find out!

Thanks!

Todd

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: