Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00am - Apr 17,05 
Hey Everybody-

Managed to get out Saturday afternoon 4/16 for a few hours. (Esox Tracker- sorry I didn't hook up with you- end of the week got silly busy- didn't manage to get out Saturday til mid-afternoon anyway). Fished 90 minutes or so for musky on Catherine and Channel. Saw 1 fish on Catherine- just finished spawning, back and tail bit up and scarred- lethargic- not looking for food- just cruised by the boat slowly- kinda neat to see her, V and I watched her for about 30-45 seconds as she cruised along- we kept up with her with the trolling motor. Switched over for pannies- worked the wood and docks and piers with 2# line, ice jigs and spikes and ice-buster floats. Found plenty of gills and a few crappie- all in 2-3' of water. Fish were VERY tight to the piers and cover. Big gill 7.75" and big crappie just over 9". Water's a bit murky but not too bad- lots of floating moss and algae on Catherine already- slimy gunk. Water temp 54-56 degrees.

Tight lines all-

Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 07:45am - Apr 17,05 
Gill's and crappie are fun. :)

I caught a 32-33inch Musky in northern Wisconsin a few years back that gave little resistance, appeared weak and thin. At the time I didn't think of the spawn until after I released it. With the poor performance this fish gave me and how thin it was, I often wonder if it survived. :?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:50am - Apr 17,05 
Um, it probably did as long as you didnt ride the fight out that she gave. The fish probably needed some rest, and then would continue to go and feed, although it is a shame that the meal she just had was a trebble hook, but they are resiliant fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:26am - Apr 17,05 
I too fished Channel and Catherine but from 7a.m to 1:30 p.m. Saw some pro boats out there-no I wasn't one of them. I'm still relatively new to the chain and this was my second try this year. Last week got blanked.

Launched Bob's Marina and as soon as I hit the dropoff started getting big archs on the Lowrance suspended in 25-30 FOW down 10-15 and what appeared to be large clouds of bait fish :shock: and submerged floating junk-weeds.Water temp was 57. Not knowing what the forage was (anybody ideas? )I tried tolling some rapalas, walley divers and cranks (Gold/black, silver/black, firetiger, chartreus, orange/brown ) on a long line that would get down that deep. After 45 min-nothing :? Moved around the bend towards Channel where ther were quite a few boats in 15 -20 fow-and still marking suspended ( white bass maybe? ) but saw some archs on the bottom. Tried verticle igging with minnows, crawlers, leeches and a white twister tail in that order. After an hour without a bump and not seeing anyone doing any better moved to Channel to try for some Crappies in the channel at north end of lake. Water temp up in the channel was 59. Tried waxies on ice jis under a thill slip float- worked both sides, middle, up and back ...nothing ...switched to crappie minnows and still zip. Moved back out of the channel to the dropoff ( quite a few boats had arrived including a few pro boats ) anchored and went back to pitching and jigging for eyes- another half hour-nothin. Rigged a slip bobber with a nice minnow , had a pop ( soda not fish ) and relaxed in the sun for awhile (It was a beautiful spring day to be on the water) The guys in the boat not far from me did manage to hook into and net a 14"eye which was good to see ( at least ya knew some were there to be caught )
Got a call ( I hate cell phones ) from the war department ( wife ) recalling me to the home port. Oh well ! Things to do. Back to Bob's - boat back on trailer and home I went- zipped again :roll: Oh well, maybe next time.

It should be real interesting to see how the big dawgs do on this body of water this upcoming week. Hopefully, they will teach us a few things on how and where to catch some hawgs on this not so easy to fish body of water :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:12am - Apr 18,05 
All good Todd. Fish are in skinny on Spring, busting pannies. Water 65 in Spring and up to 67 in channels on more southern lakes.
I had one unbuckle on a #5 Mepps in Spring. Lots of bass fisherman reported them cruising shallow. Worked Petite up to Catherine.
Good luck.

John

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37am - Apr 18,05 
Thanks ET! We made it out to the south end on Sunday afternoon. Launched at Bauske's (ouch-$18!) and then worked our way into Dunn's lake. Beee-Utiful afternoon. Water down there is 66-67 degrees- a considerable difference. We caught some nice crappie (a couple at 11") in the channels- all on floats and ice jigs with red spikes or a piece of red wedgie. Fish here fish there- no real big groups but enough at different structure to keep you interested and on your toes. Saw a number of the big boys out pre-fishing.

Heading down to Clark County to fish a small bass tourney at Mill Creek (aka Newmans Lake) on Thursday. Back in town on Sunday AM and will let you know how it comes out then.

Tight lines all-

Todd / Into The Outdoors

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:29am - Apr 18,05 
Here's my 2 friends from Channel/Cathrine

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:40am - Apr 18,05 
Esox Tracker wrote:
Fish are in skinny on Spring, busting pannies.

Gils I suspect, b/c I have been fishing Spring for over a week and only scavanged a handful of Crappie. I don't remember a spring as slow as this for slabs.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35pm - Apr 18,05 
All I saw were crappies being caught, no size though. There are some over hanging branches on the leftside of the mouth that were holding specks.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Fox Chain
Jump to: