Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:40pm - Jan 17,17 
Due to selling my business and going back to a normal job I will now be working 5pm-5am and because of this I am going to be awake at night on my days off and only time to fish and kayak so..I have been working on my kayak and setting it up for night fishing. I plan to fish areas of 2-5 foot depths and always wear a life vest. Wife thinks I'm crazy....Am I?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00pm - Jan 17,17 
It can be very effective but also pretty creepy sometimes. I've had porpoises follow directly under my yak when paddling across a bay at 4:00am. I could actually feel the rear of the yak rise and pick up speed from the pressure wave they create. In the same area, while paddling right next to the marsh shoreline, I spooked a frigging dinosaur (that would be a 12 gator) that ran along the bank crashing through the reeds and then dove into the water right in front of me. :scared

Neither one of those episodes creep me out as much as the thought of some kind of Loch Ness monster or the giant squid from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. :noway :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:17am - Jan 18,17 
We do it alot at a farm pond off expressway and the lites reflect so it aint
so dark and we catch shlabs all nite long! awsome time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47am - Jan 18,17 
illinoisbambam wrote:
Due to selling my business and going back to a normal job I will now be working 5pm-5am and because of this I am going to be awake at night on my days off and only time to fish and kayak so..I have been working on my kayak and setting it up for night fishing. I plan to fish areas of 2-5 foot depths and always wear a life vest. Wife thinks I'm crazy....Am I?

Not crazy, sounds like a great idea!
You'll want some kind of lighting, I have no idea if this: https://www.rei.com/product/722830/padd ... n-cup-base

is good quality or not. Depending on where you are, regulations might dictate that you have a red/green light as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:04pm - Jan 18,17 
I actually bought a cob LED light that has about a 1/2" x 2" LED panel in it, then disassembled it to remove the LED strip, I then ran coiled phone cord from the original housing with switch through a 1/2" piece of PVC about 4' cord enters bottom and connects through a small hole to the LED strip mounted on top. I can now use paddle clips mounted to my milk crate to attach it and the battery/switch box is on a 4' coiled cord I can Velcro or hang by me..Also plan on a clip on bill hat light and a tech lite flashlight as backup and navigation. I fish Kankakee backwaters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31pm - Jan 18,17 
As long as you have proper safety gear and lighting...you'll be fine and likely get into fish you might not get into fishing during the day. I'd also suggest setting up set check in times with the wife as another layer of safety. Basically you tell her the area you plan to fish and to expect you to check in by ______ and if she doesn't, and after attempting to contact you without success, she calls police for assistance.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:26pm - Jan 18,17 
Off at 5am? Why not hit the morning bite!?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:12pm - Jan 19,17 
Always wear the PFD in a kayak, day or night.

I've night fished out of my kayak several times. I have the Illinois-required 360° visible white light (flashlight with a juice bottle diffuser mounted on the extendable handle from an old ice scraper) and it provides plenty of light without being obnoxious. In Michigan last year, I think it made helped my wife worry less because she could see where I was on the lake from a long way off.

If you're on unfamiliar water, finding your way back in the dark can be a challenge. Things definitely look different at night. I'd recommend GPS use, even if it's just to find your way back to the launch.

Other than that, follow ChiCityYaker's float plan/check-in advise.

The only time I've been a little creeped out was night fishing down in Destin, FL. Hooked into something that dragged me 400 yds before snapping the line. I moved into shallower water after that.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:15pm - Jan 19,17 
BigJim wrote:
The only time I've been a little creeped out was night fishing down in Destin, FL. Hooked into something that dragged me 400 yds before snapping the line. I moved into shallower water after that.

Definitely a giant squid :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:09pm - Jan 23,17 
choupiquer wrote:

I was thinking shark, but I like where your head is. I'm not even sure whatever was hooked knew I was there. It was just a solid steady pull.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:09pm - Jan 23,17 
choupiquer wrote:

I was thinking shark, but I like where your head is. I'm not even sure whatever was hooked knew I was there. It was just a solid steady pull.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:48pm - Mar 26,17 
I did it a few times last year. I was doing it in the fall so the air/water temps were not the best, and depending on when you go out that's something you should consider. I had a visi-pole and light which was always on, and then when I hooked up I turned my headlight to white light from red light. In shallow water I wouldn't want a lot of lights on to avoid spooking any fish. I found the visi pole kept the bugs away from me

Board index » The Tackle Box » Kayak & Canoes - Fishing with Stealth
Jump to: