Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:27am - Mar 15,16 
Last year we had, I believe, the first Chitown-Angler yak meet-n-greet and it was a great time! A lot of guys befriended each other, plenty of laughs to be had, exchanges of ideas/tactics/rigging were made, food was ate, and a couple fish were caught (no thanks to the 30mph wind gusts that day :doh ). The kayak fishing community in the Chicagoland area is continuing to quickly and steadily grow, and having another meet-n-fish outing will be a great opportunity to bring together everyone. With that being said, now's the time to throw around ideas on Place, Time, etc to get the ball rolling.

Things to keep in mind: 1. not everyone has a yak that suited for big water & 2. we'd want to be able to allow yak fishermen of all levels to participate, especially newer guys/gals. This means that Lake Michigan isn't going to be an option for this outing. Inland lakes and rivers are a go.

Lets start with a location...shoot your picks in a reply post and we'll go from there.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:33am - Mar 15,16 
Sterling again? Maybe it'll be better weather this year?? I've fished there before and have had decent luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:33am - Mar 15,16 
Camp Lake can be fun, but its in Wisconsin so would need a Wisconsin license.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43am - Mar 15,16 
Shabbona

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:03pm - Mar 15,16 
Mazonia has my vote. If it is any day but Sunday I probably can't be there due to work. :(

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19pm - Mar 15,16 
Just seen we are looking at August 1 or 2? As long as I can put in a 3 week notice I can get it off so I'm in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:18pm - Mar 15,16 
I sure hope I can make this year. Have not had the plastic tube out in 2 yrs.

Ice Auger Blade Sharping

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:22pm - Mar 15,16 
Shabbona would be my choice

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26pm - Mar 15,16 
What month?

I noticed last years greet was about 6 weeks of planning, so is May or June the target months or will it be around the same time as last year?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Mar 15,16 
What about late August/early September when the fall bite turns on?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:19am - Mar 16,16 
I was thinking this first one we shoot for early May (pre-Memorial day weekend) and we can certainly shoot for a late summer/early fall outing in Aug/Sep. Let's say May 14th (Saturday) which puts it about 2 months out. It won't take 6 weeks to plan out unlike last year when it was the first time. Keep in mind when recommending locations that it's ideal to go to a place that has ample parking and even better if parking is near a put-in or boat launch. Also an open area where we can do some grilling is a plus too.

As far as locations we have so far:
Shabbona
Sterling
Mazonia
Busse
Mallard
Chain

Feel free to keep recommending places and by Monday we'll close out the suggestions and move into voting for a spot from the list of recommendations. Once the location is selected, we can figure out who is coming and what everyone can bring to contribute to the post-fishing cookout. Nothing special, just dogs and some burgers, soft drinks, chips, etc. Thank guys!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56am - Mar 16,16 
The weekend of the 14th right now sounds good!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:52am - Mar 16,16 
I like the Saturday idea.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:55pm - Mar 16,16 
The chain requires a fox river stamp, can be bought on site but still another requirement.

Shabbona is very kayak friend, and has ample area to hide from the wind as well. I would also like to attach my vote to Shabbona, it's a decent drive (then again everything is for me except LM) It also has a bait store, you can even buy boos there if you wanted. They have legit boat ramps, and even an area they recommend for yaks. Plenty of parking.

Sterling is good, but wind can easily ruin it there.

Mallard I personally find to not be a very good fishery and very dirty which turns me off completely.

Busse is cool.

Mazonia would be new for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09pm - Mar 16,16 
For those of you that fish the "Great Lakes Kayak Fishing Series" keep in mind that the opening tournament is also on May 14th on the Fox Chain O'Lakes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:46pm - Mar 16,16 
Think it's two different crowds and shouldn't be an issue but let's wait to see how many would like to come but can't due to Tournament. Could push back to the following day if need be.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:55pm - Mar 16,16 
I began looking at a few of the places mentioned and realized the drive for some ( Sterling is about 2 hrs away, Shabbona 1 1/2 hrs, Mazonia 1 hr) So I began looking for a place more central with a mixed bag with parking and picnic area and boat / kayak launch and came up with Wolf lake in the William W. Powers State fish and wildlife area. I personally have never fished here but reading about it and it's reviews don't look bad. Don't get me wrong I am willing to drive wherever.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18pm - Mar 16,16 
I think that is in Indiana

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03pm - Mar 16,16 
Depending on where/when it is I may/may not make it. I work 1-9:30 every Saturday in Gurnee. If the event is oushed back to Sunday I can go anywhere, Saturday would limit me to Lake County or Southern Wisconsin.

That said Camp Lake, Hooker Lake, or Paddock Lake in Wisconsin could be some options. A day pass for non-resident isn't to expensive.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:47am - Mar 17,16 
Wolf lake is in both Indiana and IL.

No matter what lake we choose, it's a long drive some people regardless. Busse is the only lake semi close to me and it's still a far drive. We can't accommodate everyone so we really need to choose the best lake for our needs.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The Tackle Box » Kayak & Canoes - Fishing with Stealth
Jump to: