Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:13pm - Sep 26,10 
Did I miss spell a word Travis!! :rotflmao I meant to say "meme"-

So sorry- Just trying to get across the point that you love your Yakking and rightfully so- If I were younger and 1 or 2 lbs lighter, well maybe a few more pounds lighter- I'd give it a whirl 8)~
In my current sleek form- I don't think either would be stable for me-
Well I do recall several years ago my buddy and I got in his small canoe and I said okay- "shove off"- the canoe didn't move- it was resting on the bottom of he beach shore for some reason. :shock

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23pm - Sep 26,10 
Haha.

Well I think kayak's have involved more than canoe's in stability, ability, and weight. Not calling you an old guy, but i have seen some old guys rock the kayak. ;)

But yeah, I might be taking my youth for granted when answering..

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Sep 26,10 
you mean evolved? You silly guy- or should I say young whippersnapper!! :lol: It's really what ever rocks your Yak Travis-

You're right- maybe the Yak is more stable- especially on the big water. I might get a Yak this year so I feel safer when I go ice fishing- can you mount a gas powered ice drill on those?
Hey maybe I can make a gas Yak outboard that drills holes thru the ice too- gotta think about that!! A Yakboard- power your Yak and drill holes too- what kind of registration would I need for that?? :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:46am - Sep 27,10 
twade wrote:
In certain conditions I would never consider a canoe, but that is just me. Really, the best is to try em out on your own.

Yep I defiantly agree with that statement. Both the canoes and kayaks have there place. I like them both. I generally prefer using the canoe in still ponds, and slow rivers and streams, (I find them more comfortable). I prefer to be in the kayak with a spray skirt in faster moving water, or larger sized waves. On any given day I'll take either of them out, and it's usually a last minute decision.

In general, I find the Kayaks takes less effort to travel longer distances, and there easier to maneuver. The Canoes, are more comfortable for me with there higher seating position, they also allow me to easily stand, if I want to take a standing cast. I just find them easier for me to fish out of.

I guess what swayed my opinion towards recommending the canoe, is I often like to fish with other people. When you have two people in the boat working to keep it strait, fishing becomes easy for both anglers. I have also had canoes longer than I have had kayaks, so I'm more accustomed to fishing out of canoes, and I'm sure this also played a part in me recommending the canoe, over the kayak.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:50am - Sep 30,10 
Hey Travis, Marty, Carlyle- Was out on Gov Pier last evening and a two dual Kayaks went out of the harbor and around the lake with the greatest of ease- really beautiful eve and they were just paddling effortlessly out and around on the lake. Look like they had a most enjoyable evening- :D

I do see more and more of them out there- don't think I've ever seen a canoe on LM.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:56am - Sep 30,10 
I'm leaning heavy towards a canoe. I think I got the coach (aka my lovely wife) giving me permission within a tight budget.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:59am - Sep 30,10 
I really want to get out on the lake with the kayak. It'll be a drive for me so I will most likely have to make some calls to check out the wave action on the lake.

I want to pick up a wet suit, just because of the water temp. I will be getting wet in my kayak. No way around it.

Thanks for the heads up. I hear it is an advantage during perch season. ;)

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:52am - Sep 30,10 
The lake was pretty calm last evening. It's a tough call around Waukegan- can't depend on Noaa. You might be better off checking with someone familiar with the Chicago harbors- and I'm not sure, but one I think you can always seek refuge behind a breakwall- will send you a pm.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:30am - Sep 30,10 
I am not an expert canoer but If I have any questions I KNOW where to go to get answers from the real pro. If you want ANYTHING for canoeing he has it. No I do not work for him but will drive the 50 miles just to talk with him from time to time.

www.chicagolandcanoebase.com/history.html -

Ralph is a real old timer who has been there and done that. He also has a REAL challenge for canoe people. How about a trip down the Chicago river New Years Day.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:38am - Sep 30,10 
Quote:

Ralph is a real old timer who has been there and done that. He also has a REAL challenge for canoe people. How about a trip down the Chicago river New Years Day.

There is a few groups that do this - i heard it is a good time.

Profile WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » The Tackle Box » Kayak & Canoes - Fishing with Stealth
Jump to: