Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:19pm - Aug 28,17 
Once again the end of another season (2017) is coming upon us.
This year had Less Fog than last year... But, More Windy days (Waves).

Thank you to All involved in making the Club Tournaments and Big Money Tournaments fun to be at and participating in.
Both Illinois and Wisconsin Tournament organizer(s) do excellent job's putting together these events.

We (Smokin' Fish) spent most of the year fishing Illinois Waters, from the State-Line, (South) past Lake Forest Area. This was a tough year at times, that's for sure, but a fun year. The deep waters (200' plus) was the best for us. Although there were a few days that we stayed in close (120' and under) and did well.
This was one of our best years for the tournament(s). We placed higher in the Club Tournaments overall along with the (few) Big Money Tournaments that we played in.
My oldest Son (Craig) and (4) - Grandkids took turns (2 - at a time) playing in the club outings and once again they enjoyed their time out on the water.

I hope to be able to get out a few more times, before this year comes to an end.

Good Luck to All (out fishing)

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:38pm - Aug 28,17 
Here is a list of the hottest lures and flies (after reviewing the catch log) for "2017" - Run on Smokin' Fish

Early in the year (May to Mid-June):
(2017 - Best 30' to 70' Range F.O.W.)
Smokin' Fish (Flies): Mini Wonderbread, Green Bullet, Coho Teaser
Stinger spoons: Inmate, Hud Special, Ludington Special, Can't Afford It, Monkey Puke
Sooperfly Spoons: JAL Steel, R & R Special, Orange Crush
Moonshine: Perch, Agent Orange

Mid-June to End of August:
Smokin' Fish (Flies): The Special, Aqua Special, Double Aqua Special, Special Bull Frog
Stingray Spoons: NBK, Orange Edge Blue UV
Warrior Spoons:Hey Baby, Bloddy Babe
Moonshine: Agent Orange, Green Flounder Pounder, Green Flounder Pounder RV, Bloody Nose RV, JJ Mac Muffin, Wonderbread, Wonderbread RV
Sooperfly: Irish Ice, R & R Special, Orange Crush
Pro King: Mixed Veggies UV, Peas & Carrots

Most of the year I ran: 2 - Down-Riggers, 2 - Dipsy Rods (Wire-Line), 2 - Board-Rods on each side & 1 - Long-Line Down the Middle (for a 9 - Rod Spread)
There were a few other inter-mixed spoons and flies that worked, but the majority of the fish boated were on the lures listed above.
There were also times when 3 or 4 of the same spoons and flies were out at the same time and getting multiple hits on the riggers and board rods.

Good Luck to All,

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:47pm - Aug 28,17 
:gpost
Thanks! Great info. You tie some great flies. They have worked well for me. I bet alot of the gear you mentioned will be hard to find soon. Hopeing to get out a few more times this year. Are you going to be able to get a few of the grandkids to the derby?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:02pm - Aug 28,17 
Great year Steve. You put together some memorable boxes this year and the smiles on those kids' faces is priceless. Thanks for the info on the year's best baits, and thanks for ALL the help you've given me these past couple years! That's the great thing about clubs like SU and TU...lots of great fisherman helping others become great fishermen. Hope to see you out there still this year Steve. Still plenty of fish to be caught!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:08pm - Aug 28,17 
Thanks Steve for a great recap and to a great season for the Smokin' Fish crew! Like you stated, very little fog, but some nasty waves this year. It's a bitter sweet day. Happy not to be thrown around, but sure going to miss the stories after each event.

The best story to end the year is the Coast Guard on the Michigan side is investigating an accident that involved a drone dropping from the sky. Not sure what that's all about. :crazy

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:50pm - Aug 28,17 
troublemaker wrote:
The best story to end the year is the Coast Guard on the Michigan side is investigating an accident that involved a drone dropping from the sky. Not sure what that's all about.

REEEAL Funny. After further review, that guy was completely at fault and the drone returned to the original place it took off.... unfortunately the boat he was controlling it from was 2 miles away from that spot. On the plus side.... actually....there is zero plus side.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:01pm - Aug 28,17 
rodm wrote:
:gpost
Thanks! Great info. You tie some great flies. They have worked well for me. I bet alot of the gear you mentioned will be hard to find soon. Hopeing to get out a few more times this year. Are you going to be able to get a few of the grandkids to the derby?

Thanks Rod!
The flies are fun to put together and even better when they hammer the fish.
I'm not sure if they will be able to make it (to the Kids Derby). They seem to have a lot of things going on this time of year.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:07pm - Aug 28,17 
TyeeII wrote:
Great year Steve. You put together some memorable boxes this year and the smiles on those kids' faces is priceless. Thanks for the info on the year's best baits, and thanks for ALL the help you've given me these past couple years! That's the great thing about clubs like SU and TU...lots of great fisherman helping others become great fishermen. Hope to see you out there still this year Steve. Still plenty of fish to be caught!

Thanks Ron!
The Kids can't wait for their turns, that's for sure.
As far as helping goes (providing information) you know as well as me that it's a two way street. You have also helped me out when those conversations have taken place. :thanks

Support Staff

Post Posted: 05:55am - Aug 29,17 
Nice recap, always fun worth the kids!

Can someone start a thread for the kids derby? I'll make it sticky.

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: